Texas Hunting Forum

M&P-10- scope mounting

Posted By: CharlieCTx

M&P-10- scope mounting - 02/15/16 04:57 PM

I've got an AR-10 I want to use as mostly a Hog/Varmint gun, given I also have a Remy 700 30.06 Bolt. First, I had a Holo sight and magnifier, then got the itch to try night hunting, took it off and bought a X-Sight. It's done fine for night work and was a cheap way to learn about night hunting in general, IR vs Thermal, battery mgmt. etc.

Went on a daytime hog hunt yesterday and we came upon a sounder about 25-30 yds away in heavy brush. With the X-Sight during the day and being so close, I had a tough time getting a clear picture with all the dense surrounding brush, though we had a decent size hole to shoot through. I didn't drop him with my first shot and was basically unable to actually aim any follow-on shots vs just doing a general point and shoot a few more times which was pointless. Just couldn't see... (In retrospect I should have just used my 1911, but didn't think about it given I had a rifle in my hand) It was exciting to almost get run over by 25+ piglets and smaller hogs that scattered all around us with the shots. I pulled my said 1911 out, but it wouldn't fire as I didn't have the clip seated properly, first time having it on a hunt.

I bought this Larue mount last night Larue Mount and figure I'm good for my X-Sight. My Holo Sight and Magnifier are on a 6" thumb screw fastener pic rail now, but it's not quite long enough.

Q#1 Given my M&P-10, should I continue to attach to the base pic rail or space it up .5 to 1" and mount everything up from there? (This is just a general how high should an optic be mounted question.)

Q#2 For my Holo/Mag sight, do I just get a longer screw down rail and loc-tite it on to another Larue QD mount? Should that maintain the ability to keep a pretty close to zero mount?

Thanks,
Charlie
Posted By: chemdawg

Re: M&P-10- scope mounting - 02/15/16 08:48 PM

i hate ask but since i was struck in the head i iraq i dont read all can yu ca me i have question the is to hard for me t fallow and understand my reading is quite poor i cant fallow it and my sone is not hope to read it i am a disabled vet and was stuck in the head blown 75 feet out the top of the gunners hatch send me a number so I can cal you you can call me 354 319 3188 lewis
Posted By: Cool Mo D

Re: M&P-10- scope mounting - 02/16/16 12:44 AM

?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum