Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 01:28 AM

well here you go. 15-60x52 eeks333
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-golden-eagle-hd-ecr-1-moa-riflescope
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 01:33 AM

Oh my....
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 01:59 AM

Wow. Gotta wonder how often conditions would allow practical use of full magnification
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 02:03 AM

According to them, its for benchrest shooting. Which makes sense. Pretty cool.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Absolutely. I could see a high magnification being handy for hunting, to be able to leave the spotting scope behind, although I would need a much lower number on the bottom end. I hear Schmidt & Bender is coming out with something along those lines. That'll be exciting.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Absolutely. I could see a high magnification being handy for hunting, to be able to leave the spotting scope behind, although I would need a much lower number on the bottom end. I hear Schmidt & Bender is coming out with something along those lines. That'll be exciting.
that would be cool. 8-40 or something along those lines would get it done.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 02:21 AM

3-30X grin

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
3-30X grin

I'd be all over that. I believe they have 9X erectors right now. I could go for 5-45 or less.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 02:56 AM

3-27X, 4-36X, 5-45X All would be an extremely wide range of magnification.

The problem I predict is with such a high magnification (above 25X) and with only a 50mm-55mm objective, is not enough light is going to get into the objective. Look at the 20-60X Razor spotting scope, it has an 80mm objective and works beautifully.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 03:18 AM

I would make myself sick trying to look through anything above 24x. I'd have to have it mounted in a vise to use a 60x scope.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 03:22 AM

Learn how to hold the rifle still.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 03:26 PM

Learn how to hold the rifle still.

It ain't the rifle that's the problem, I have a small constant twitch

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 03:37 PM

Terrets?

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 04:48 PM

The problem I predict is with such a high magnification (above 25X) and with only a 50mm-55mm objective, is not enough light is going to get into the objective. Look at the 20-60X Razor spotting scope, it has an 80mm objective and works beautifully.

I thought about that. I figure at lower magnifications light transmission would be normal. So, you aren't any worse off than before, but when light is good, you have more magnification available. It may not be as effective as carrying a spotter, separately, but it would be a good compromise for those hunts that I'm leaving it behind, anyway.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 05:06 PM

I pretty much hunt ever sit with 11-33x50 vortex razor.

At full power you lose first and last 10 min of shooting light. At 11 power first and last 4min, but I have 11x42 binos that put me in a well before or well after situation if I'm not careful

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 05:13 PM

I'm not disagreeing with y'all. My speculation is poor image quality, at max power, 50
-55mm objective, even during clear sunny days. Image quality and light transmission could go to poop with such a small objective. I've seen a similar scenario on my range. Scope is in the shade, all of the range is in the sun, 800 yard target is in the shade. It makes things tough to see sometimes.

Again, I'm making a SWAG.

Of course, we all know about the mirage issue with high magnification. But I have seen the large objective spotters, set at 20X, see better than the rifle scope set at 20X, both optics of equal quality glass.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 05:28 PM

I believe it. I would have to look through one, outside, before committing. My thinking is all theory, too. I keep going back and forth on a spotting scope. I need the capability, I just don't know if I want to drag around that much more weight or compromise and keep things lighter and simpler.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 06:05 PM

Bet Bobo will tell you to get the Razor 11-33X like he has. I suspect it is a terrific compromise between the huge size of the 20-60X 80mm and a decent set of binos.

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 07:26 PM

Yeah, that probably wouldn't be a hard sell. I Ike that idea.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/22/16 08:28 PM

Would definitely want to know where the glass was made and by whom.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Y'all wanted different - 01/23/16 02:39 AM

I'll have a couple to put up against my NightForce 12-42's...i like the reticle a little better. They have 52mm objective so should be a little better?

Cool to have options, especially as this price point.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum