Texas Hunting Forum

scope for an AR ?

Posted By: 300j

scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 02:48 AM

I would like to keep the budget around $300 if possible due to the fact that I only plink with my AR. You know the story, possible future family protection, occasional hogs and yotes. I would like something with an adjustable objective and target turrets as I do like to shoot out to 500-600 yds at times. A lighted reticle is not a must but could possibly be a plus. Please fire away with your ideas and a little detail on why that particular scope. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: passthru

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 03:26 AM

I have a Luepold just for you. Adjustable objective. Bullet drop turret. 3X9. One small scratch. The old "compact" model that fits and looks good on an AR.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 05:35 AM

Since you mentioned family protection I would opt for a 1-4 or 1-6. I really like the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6.
Posted By: wtjim

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 05:56 AM

X2 Vortex strike eagle
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 11:34 AM

I was considering picking up a Strike Eagle as well
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 01:17 PM

I really like these 1-4 or 1-6 type scopes as well after getting one for our ar.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/01/15 09:06 PM

If you'll step up the money, you could get either the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44, which has a lighted MRAD reticle and turrets, or it's better sister scope, the 2.5-10x32, which adds FFP and side focus to the mix. Used in excellent condition around $400 for the 44, $600 for the 32.
Posted By: TexasEd

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/02/15 12:09 AM

I have the Burris MTAC 1-4x scope with illuminated reticle.

I really like it for close range since it is a true 1x when zoomed out and I shoot it well at longer distances at the range. It is not a precision scope as I think the center dot is 2 MOA but it is accurate and holds zero.

MTAC scope and PEPR mount (When I bought it the scope was mounted backwards):

100 yards:
[
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/02/15 12:21 AM

If you are going to use it the way you mentioned, I'd seriously consider the aimpoint patrol optic.

I started out with a Vortex 3.5-12 on mine and it was really not suited for closer range shooting and plinking like I do with the 223/556.

I traded up recently for the aimpoint after trying SapperTitan's and I really liked how quickly you can get on target with both eyes open and also how much lighter it is.

If you shoot at a sounder of hogs with the scope and I have the aimpoint I'm gonna shoot 4 to your one because of keeping both eyes open on moving targets and much quicker target kill zone acquisition. up

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/02/15 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
If you are going to use it the way you mentioned, I'd seriously consider the aimpoint patrol optic.

I started out with a Vortex 3.5-12 on mine and it was really not suited for closer range shooting and plinking like I do with the 223/556.

I traded up recently for the aimpoint after trying SapperTitan's and I really liked how quickly you can get on target with both eyes open and also how much lighter it is.

If you shoot at a sounder of hogs with the scope and I have the aimpoint I'm gonna shoot 4 to your one because of keeping both eyes open on moving targets and much quicker target kill zone acquisition. up
up

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/02/15 12:52 AM

This is my group at 100 yds with Aimpoint PRO and no magnification. Im getting a 3x magnifier soon so it should tighten up even more. I like the 1x4s but I couldn't give up my Aimpoint.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/03/15 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasEd
I have the Burris MTAC 1-4x scope with illuminated reticle.

I really like it for close range since it is a true 1x when zoomed out and I shoot it well at longer distances at the range. It is not a precision scope as I think the center dot is 2 MOA but it is accurate and holds zero.

MTAC scope and PEPR mount (When I bought it the scope was mounted backwards):

100 yards:
[

This. Does everything a red dot does, and then some.
Posted By: lcbl75771

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/10/15 11:43 PM

I see a lot of people using those type of scopes on their AR's. Anyone here use the reflex or red dots? What are your opinions of those?

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/11/15 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: lcbl75771
I see a lot of people using those type of scopes on their AR's. Anyone here use the reflex or red dots? What are your opinions of those?
2 post up. I use Aimpoint red dot and love it
Posted By: thruxton

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/11/15 03:38 AM

I saw Cabela's was running a deal on the Nikon p223 for just over $100.
Posted By: magspa

Re: scope for an AR ? - 12/11/15 11:45 AM

Check out primary arms selection. They have great tactical optics and reasonably priced.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum