Texas Hunting Forum

Choosing between two scopes

Posted By: shea.mcphail

Choosing between two scopes - 11/08/15 10:43 PM

I'm having a hard time choosing between the Leupold vx-3 ($400) or the Vortex Diamondback ($270). This will be my first scope to buy, and I wanted to see what you guys think. About a hundred yard shot from blind to feeder. I like the Xtended Twilight system that the VX-3 offers and the lifetime warranty, but $400 is a stiff price.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/08/15 10:50 PM

That gold ring around the end of that scope is kinda like a green tractor, it's nice but it ain't all that. That Vortex will suit you just fine. up
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 12:36 AM

Everyone has an opinion. I'd pay the extra for the VX3. I have Vortex scopes and Leupold scopes, and like them both. I just think that the VX3 is a better scope than that Vortex Diamondback.
Posted By: WNPHNTR

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 12:40 AM

Look through both, and one will win you over.
I've got Vortex binoculars and Leupold binoculars, and most of my rifles have Leupold scopes.
Personally I'm happiest with the Leupold products.
What warranties does Vortex offer?
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 12:59 AM

Vx-3, if it were me.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 01:09 AM

I'd be sure and compare eye relief and eye box. I don't believe the Vortex will match up.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 01:13 AM

I would choose the vx3 twice before the diamond back line
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
I'd be sure and compare eye relief and eye box. I don't believe the Vortex will match up.

This.

Good optics cost a pretty penny. Just the way it is.

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 03:02 AM

I'm not sure what the Vortex offers warranty wise. I'm currently using a S&W M&P15. I have no idea what I would even need to mount either scope.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

+1 ^^^^^^^^

I'd be quick to heed this excellent advise, compare!

I can pretty much tell you which one will be better in low light conditions (hint, it doesn't start with a V).

Not knocking the Vortex (for its price range), but DO consider what YOUR needs are...then choose accordingly.

If you will always hunt in bright light, in relatively open areas and shots are under 150 yds, then that level Vortex might be just the ticket.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/09/15 05:51 PM

Shop around on price, as well. Not sure what models you are looking at but I think you can beat those prices with a good-sized stick.

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/10/15 01:09 AM

Most of my hunting will take place in low lighting. I'm thinking I might just break the bank and go with the VX-3.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/10/15 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
Most of my hunting will take place in low lighting.

Watch the 30 minute rule. I have several spots with low light that I sometimes forget to check when legal shooting time expires.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/10/15 10:34 PM

I'm a fan of the VX3, but you can get a Burris FFII in 4.5-14 for $299, and that's a real nice scope. Works great in low light also. I bought one just to see how good it was. I was so impressed that I bought a second one. I used that first scope on 5 or 6 deer and plenty of pigs and coyotes, with shots out to 400 yards. The grandson has used his on a few deer and pigs. Absolutely no complaints.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/12/15 03:28 AM

Purchase the VX3 and don't look back.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/12/15 03:37 AM

Leupold.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/12/15 04:08 AM

Leupold, and the warranty is awesome
Posted By: stick hunter

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/12/15 04:13 AM

Im really supprised so many are saying VX3 I sell both brands and would take the vortex. If you want the best price on a scope give me a call 817-578-0503
Posted By: stick hunter

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/12/15 04:15 AM

by the way Vortex warranty is unbeatable no questions asked. You house burns down they send you a new one. try and get luepold to do that

Re: Choosing between two scopes - 11/13/15 03:28 AM

Going with the VX3. It comes with a $100 mail-in rebate and my wife bought me a $150 gift card to Cabelas. Thanks for the advice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum