Texas Hunting Forum

Angle or no angle

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Angle or no angle - 09/09/15 04:39 PM

I'm about to buy a spotting scope and was wondering if I should go with a straight or angled eye piece?
Posted By: Cast

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/09/15 05:01 PM

Shoot sitting down, straight. Shoot standing up, tripod and angled.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/09/15 05:37 PM

Never angled.

You can't scan both eyes open with angled. And they tend to make my neck hurt anyway.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/10/15 05:22 PM

What are you using the scope for?

I find that the angled scopes work better for competition 3 position target shooting where you need the scope nearby to check your target without getting out of position.

But for normal range duties and spotting game the straight ones are much easier to use.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/10/15 08:39 PM

I have angled and straight and prefer angled, for the most part.
Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/10/15 10:07 PM

I'm gonna be using for hunting. I'm spending quite a bit of $$ so I don't wanna be stuck with something I don't like

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/10/15 11:13 PM

Can you borrow one of each for a range session? I think that would help quite a bit.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/11/15 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
I'm gonna be using for hunting. I'm spending quite a bit of $$ so I don't wanna be stuck with something I don't like

Scenario:

Walking with all gear in the backpack. See something on the hillside across the valley from your hillside. Drop the pack to the ground, take a knee, pull out the spotting scope to have a better look and rest the scope on the pack. Do you want your non-dominant eye looking at the ground or looking in the same direction you are wanting to get the spotting scope on?

Magnification turned all the way down is the way I travel with all my scopes, so that they are ready to snap onto something unexpected. Both eyes open searching for the area you are wanting to get a better look. That is impossible with an angled spotter. Angled spotters are for range work mounted on a rock solid tripod, IMHO.

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/11/15 03:38 AM

Those of us who have had neck surgery find it somewhat easier to look slightly down into the angled eyepiece than to tilt our heads up to maximum elevation in order to look through the straight eyepiece.

wink
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Angle or no angle - 09/11/15 08:29 PM

Angled for a hill face. Straight if using from a truck.

Other words what ever you use it most for...shooting side I would think straight.

Hunting depends on how much you glass from the truck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum