Texas Hunting Forum

Nightforce SHV

Posted By: dogdown23

Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 01:51 AM

Need some reviews on the Nightforce SHV 4x14 illuminated. Have any of you used one? I do a lot of predator hunting, day and night. I've had a Vortex viper pst 6x24FFP and 4x16. Several occasions getting in and out of the truck or climbing into the night high rack the turrets would get turned accidently. Good scopes but exposed turrets aren't ideal for getting in and out of a truck constantly over a 24 hour period. Pretty sure the SHV is what I'm going to but would like some feedback.
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 03:44 AM

There're very few reviews that I could find online as I'm looking at the same scope. Here's one

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/nightforce-shv-4-14x56-riflescope-review-1.php
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 03:52 AM

I like mine...clear, rugged, as good as my NSX, and Leupolds...not quite the same glass quality as my German glass...but good enough. If you are doing night hunting get a clip on NV...it is awesome...

Ed
Posted By: D.T.

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 04:24 AM

505ed, is there a much difference between NF SHV and Leupold?
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 11:02 AM

I like mine
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 12:29 PM

The overall size of the optic it a huge turn off for me. They are huge
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 01:01 PM

I have used and shot multiple rifles with the new SHV (Shooter, Hunter, Varmint) scope from NF. It was specifically developed for hunting. I currently have one on my Tikka 308 Win that I play with at the range out to 800 yards. For a hunting scope, I also like the covered scope caps, and when you want to dial for distance, you simply unscrew them and dial your corrections in. It is a great scope all around. I wish they had a few different options for reticles though. Overall, it's a great freakin' scope.

Originally Posted By: 505ed
as good as my NSX, and Leupolds...

^^^ IMO, big difference between those 2. I don't put Leupold on the same playing field as a NSX. There is a huge difference in quality and ruggedness with the NSX series.

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 01:39 PM

Chad all I have in Leupolds is VX-7 and VX-6 and mark 6s... Not that much difference...maybe your eyes differ, but mine don't see it...I can how ever see the difference between them and z6 Swarovski and Zeiss Victory, in low light conditions...

Ed
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 02:05 PM

If you are comparing just the glass quality or clarity, then sure, those scopes may be clearer than a NF. The quality of the glass is one of the last things I look for in a scope, but it is a factor. I am speaking on pure durability. I also own a Leupold VX-6 and love it. Good glass, and turrets seem to hold up and track true, but it's a $1400 scope and better be a good scope. NF has good glass. But I will NEVER own a Swarovski and probably never a Zeiss again after the issues I have seen with both of these 2 scopes. The Swarovski scopes are not meant to dial the turrets, and I have personally busted 2 of the high end Swarovski's. The Zeiss scopes are decent with good glass, but I had lots of issues with mine.

IMO, if a shooter only looks at the glass quality of the scope, they are making a big mistake. They need to look at the internal quality of the scope also. If the turrets stop working or the reticle comes loose inside the scope, what good does clear glass do you- nothing. I hear all the time that "this scope had the best glass" and such. But they ended up buying a crappy scope with cheap internals that may give them issues in the long run. Sure, they may have a good warranty program, but why would I want to chance it.

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 03:59 PM

Thanks for the help
Posted By: jackcountyhunter

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 04:10 PM

I have this scope in the 5x25. I actually have 2 of them. One on my 7 mag and the other on my 6.5. I like the durability of the scope. Yes it is big but I am not worried about it breaking on me.

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/04/15 04:17 PM

Chad,

No offense to you but I think you said it best. I am a hunter and less of a "shooter"--and a lot of guys enjoy the sport of shooting, and less hunting. have scopes I "dial" and shoot LR, but in a lot of my guns I set the scopes zero at 100 or 200 and leave them. I practice a lot from 100 to 300, well within range where most big game is killed, and leave it...

Durability...hummm...everything mechanical WiLL Falter..no doubt. I have had a SB PM 3x12 fail after 80 rounds...sent it back and have not had a problem since...I had a Vortex razor 5x20 not track entirely true...sent it back, not a problem since--both of those I would have to say are pretty durable scopes. I have also had a Leupold VX-7 1.5x6 on my 375 ultra since 2008 I have hauled over hells half acre, and never has failed. It may fail tomorrow, but has made 3 trips to Africa, and a couple trips to Wack nilgai in South Texas, but I set it and left it...I can shoot it out to 300 without problems. Weight is also an issue, my nightforces are the heaviest scopes I own other than one US Optics 10x I have. Are they durable? Yes! Are they a boat anchor too, well not quite that heavy, but close.

A lot of guys assume, that the person will be dialing are shooting long-range with their scope...if so it the gun and scope can weight 13-15 lbs no problem?... A great majority set it and leave it, or use other drop compensating recitals to range with--or prefer a lighter scope they can put on a lighter weight rifle. I've messed with a lot of scopes over the years, and optics are very personal to each person... And everybody sees the glass through their eyes a little differently.... I guess you and I differ a bit.

Posted By: Crews

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/07/15 01:13 PM

I've owned one. Loved it, and would buy another one. It is heavy, but I don't mind a little extra weight if I don't have to worry about tearing it up.
Posted By: 4x4willie

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/08/15 03:18 AM

Love mine it's on a 300 ultra mag haven't shot it much but so far it's a great scope

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/09/15 03:08 AM

Chad I appreciate the input.
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Nightforce SHV - 09/18/15 02:46 AM

I have that exact scope on a .223. Great optic. I have read that the glass is the same as their other scopes but the controls are simplified. Others that know better might correct that but it's what I was told. Light gathering is great, no complaints. There are some things I would like it to have for a range dedicated scope, but it isn't designed for that. For an all arounder, I would buy another for sure.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum