Texas Hunting Forum

Which IR Illuminator

Posted By: hogwilde

Which IR Illuminator - 07/22/15 03:26 PM

I hunt hogs every year down in Texas but didn't start using night vision until 3 years ago. Night Vision equipment isn't legal here in my home state so I only use it approximately 2 weeks a year. I don't work with it much and know very little about it and reading the reviews on the internet can get confusing. I want to purchase a IR Illuminator that has more power than the built in units the two scopes I have now use. Some of you use your night vision weekly if not daily so I felt you would be better qualified to give me some recommendations. I have a Sightmark SM16016 3x60mm Night Raider with the built in IR they use and an ATN X-Sight 5-18 with their Illuminator. The one's I'm looking at right now are the Streamlight Super Tac IR, UNV 20IR Illuminator and the Surefire M1. I don't have a local dealer that handles these so I can't actually handle or see them here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/22/15 03:53 PM

We got on these in and used it a few weeks ago on a crappy night for NV
Even with Gen3 you couldn't see cows at 400 yards..

With this IR it was like a lightwsitch.

http://www.steiner-optics.com/laser-devices/spir
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/22/15 04:27 PM

I use a UNV 20IR and I like it. Has three modes and you can focus the beam or make it really wide. I've found the lowest power setting works best. I've also found mounting it has far away as possible helps a lot. I use a one inch riser and a Burris signature Z ring(high) to mount it on top of my Armasight Nemisis 6XQS(Gen 2).
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/22/15 08:36 PM

From what I've seen the SPIR is about as good as it gets. That said, the SPIR is literally 7x more expensive than the Streamlight Super Tac. How far do you shoot? The Super Tac is good well past 200 yards with Gen 3. I haven't tried it with digital, so I can't give you a number, but it's pretty darn good for shooting at reasonable ranges.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/28/15 12:39 AM

Until this year I haven't had to shoot any farther than 60 yards but the landowner put me in a blind over a peanut field and the shots were out to 300 yards. The equipment I had wouldn't reach any where near that distance.
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/28/15 02:22 AM

My longest shot with UNV 20IR was 360 yards. It'll illuminate much farther than that. 360 yard shot at night of a brush guard on the front of a pickup truck is a very tuff shot to make.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/28/15 08:33 PM

X2 on the UNV 20IR smile
Posted By: Rockfish Dave

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/29/15 11:28 AM

Same thing for 25% the price...
T-20 IR Illuminator on Amazon

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/29/15 02:37 PM

I just ordered a T-20 for testing. Thanks for the suggestion. I've lusted after a SPIR for a while now, but I flinch every time that I see the price tag.
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/29/15 05:21 PM

I use the unv20 and like it.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 07/29/15 05:32 PM

I have a couple of Sightmark 805s that work well with gen 1, 2 and my N750.
They don't work well at all with the Photon 5X.
I also have a Streamlight SuperTac IR that makes the Photon 5X and N750 see much further than I wish to shoot but it can be overpowering at less than 100 yards.

If I had it to do over, I would be using the UNV version....the versatility of this unit trumps the others I have tried.

I just received a new Pulsar N750A yesterday but haven't tested any of them with it as it's a full moon!
Posted By: clandr1

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/04/15 08:26 PM

I have a Streamlight TLR-1 IR unit that throws surprisingly well for its size. out of the ones you recommend, I'd say the Streamlight Supertac IR is going to be the absolute best bang for the buck. It show throw REALLY well with that big @ss reflector. Price is definitely doable at $120.

The Surefire M1 is good for ranges up close to about 50-75 yards, but is more of a general use/navigation light.

The UNV 20IR is the most overpriced unit you can possibly buy. It seems to be a rebranded Chinese IR zoom light.
This one looks just like what UNV offers, but is only $35:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T38-809-mini-Hun...=item3cf226f937

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/04/15 09:02 PM

The T20 arrived and passed the 30 second back yard test. I'll try to give it a more serious work out in the near future. I will say this: it's certainly worth $35 as a backup, if nothing more.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/06/15 03:39 AM

This gives me a better idea of what to try and I believe I'll pickup a T-20 also just because the price is low enough that if it failed within a short period of time it still wouldn't break the bank. I thank all of you with your suggestions. It looks like the Streamlight would be my best choice for now.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/06/15 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: hogwilde
This gives me a better idea of what to try and I believe I'll pickup a T-20 also just because the price is low enough that if it failed within a short period of time it still wouldn't break the bank. I thank all of you with your suggestions. It looks like the Streamlight would be my best choice for now.

The T-20 is the same thing UNV is selling for $200. In an old thread I provided the information to order direct from the manufacturer in China. The manufacturer will even laser engrave your logo on the lights for free on orders over 100 if I recall correctly. The unit price from the manufacturer is only around $15, but you can negotiate that lower.

Just get the T-20 you will be no better or worse off, other than saving a boat load of $.

PM me if you want to buy my old Streamlight, as I no longer use it.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/06/15 12:04 PM

Found the old post:

Chargers:
Smart Universal Soshine H4 Digital LCD A...rger + AC Power

Sources and info links:
The UK Night Vision Forum had sources direct at a lower cost, but more hassle.
[Link to the forum thread]
Posted By: miket1

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/06/15 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Rockfish Dave

The T-20 is the same thing UNV is selling for $200. In an old thread I provided the information to order direct from the manufacturer in China. The manufacturer will even laser engrave your logo on the lights for free on orders over 100 if I recall correctly. The unit price from the manufacturer is only around $15, but you can negotiate that lower.

Just get the T-20 you will be no better or worse off, other than saving a boat load of $.

PM me if you want to buy my old Streamlight, as I no longer use it.

I agree. The UNV T20 is way over priced and my converted T20 with a 52mm lens is way brighter. I recently tested a Sniper Hog Lights 66LR IR and it is so much brighter than the T20 its embarrasing. And its like $100
Posted By: TGillar

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/07/15 03:58 AM

I bought a T-20 for my first photon it works great. Just bought a second photon so I ordered a second T-20.

Just my 2 pennies.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/07/15 04:14 AM

Originally Posted By: miket1

I agree. The UNV T20 is way over priced and my converted T20 with a 52mm lens is way brighter. I recently tested a Sniper Hog Lights 66LR IR and it is so much brighter than the T20 its embarrasing. And its like $100

They sell the T-67 on Amazon as well, that's where I got mine for $45 delivered if I recall correctly. They had both long and short tube versions. I bought the long versions (2 batteries).

Posted By: miket1

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/07/15 01:57 PM

They sell the T-67 on Amazon as well, that's where I got mine for $45 delivered if I recall correctly. They had both long and short tube versions. I bought the long versions (2 batteries).

Very interesting. Does it use the Oslon Black LED? Sniper Hog Lights uses a different LED, I honestly had my doubts that it would beat my self converted T20 with the Oslon Black but it does. Are you by chance located anywhere near the Montgomery Plantersville area? I would like to compare the 2 in the next few weeks.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/07/15 02:32 PM

I searched for the T-67 on Amazon and didn't find anything. Do you have a link?

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/07/15 07:24 PM

Looks like the guy I bought mine from isn't carrying any at the moment: Evloa IR Illuminator
Posted By: duster243

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/20/15 02:35 AM

Hey guys I'm pretty new to nightvision and I'm wondering is 1500mw a good power output for a IR device? I'm looking at the Nitecore C16. It looks like a cool little torch. Also does anyone know the mw output for the streamlight super tac ir? I know a lot of people recommend that one for the price.
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/20/15 09:21 PM

I don't think that light has a powerful IR function. I would pass on it.
Posted By: firemed13

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/21/15 05:39 AM

I have a pulsar n750 and use the TNVC torch pro which I think is currently on sale. Easy illumination out to 400 yards.
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/21/15 03:27 PM

I have a TLR-1 IR and a Nitecore CI6. I'd say the Nitecore's IR is brighter and you have the white light (4 levels), red, green, and blue colors too.

mounted with this. http://www.amazon.com/Olight-Series-Offs...YRGDRFKAVBYZFD9
Posted By: clandr1

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/21/15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: JCCinOhio
I have a TLR-1 IR and a Nitecore CI6. I'd say the Nitecore's IR is brighter and you have the white light (4 levels), red, green, and blue colors too.

mounted with this. http://www.amazon.com/Olight-Series-Offs...YRGDRFKAVBYZFD9

Glad to have your feedback JCC. I've been eyeing the CI6 for some time, but like you, have a TLR-1 IR unit that serves me just fine. I'm always weary of the quality/longevity of Chinese built lights, so I haven't pulled the trigger on the Nitecore yet. Are you happy with the purchase?
Posted By: JCCinOhio

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/21/15 08:20 PM

I'm VERY happy with it. It doesn't seem too hard on batteries. The highest setting of white light is really powerful, in fact I got in trouble going through Mammoth Cave because it was too bright wink. The IR beam is really bright too, you can see the red glow though just like with the TLR.. maybe even can see the red brighter than the TLR. I put a filter on my TRL so it just shows a little red glow now.

So far I've use the Nitecore on a .22LR and .223 (with a good brake) with no issues.

Oh, and it also has a white light strobe.. practiced using that in the dark with the 1911 (pistol in one hand, flashlight in the other). Pretty much has become my go-to flashlight.

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 08/22/15 04:05 AM

I ordered in the T20 from Amazon and will give it a try. I would love to have the Steiner but it is a lot of money for a light that I will only use for one week a year. It isn't legal here in Wyoming to use it except on private property and I don't have a place that allows me to hunt after dark. Who knows though. When I started hog hunting I didn't want any night vision at all and now we hunt them with night vision with dogs and knives and this coming April with Thermal. What next?
Posted By: He'sDeadJim

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 11/03/15 06:03 AM

Dave, I have not seen the short version in a while. Am I looking in the wrong place. Would like to just use 1x18650 if the brightness is the same.
Posted By: JJDu4

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 11/09/15 07:55 AM

Armasights new IR850 has hands down beat every IR I've got.
Posted By: cazador1022

Re: Which IR Illuminator - 11/26/15 03:39 AM

I hunt hogs every year down in Texas but didn't start using night vision until 3 years ago. Night Vision equipment isn't legal here in my home state so I only use it approximately 2 weeks a year. I don't work with it much and know very little about it and reading the reviews on the internet can get confusing. I want to purchase a IR Illuminator that has more power than the built in units the two scopes I have now use. Some of you use your night vision weekly if not daily so I felt you would be better qualified to give me some recommendations. I have a Sightmark SM16016 3x60mm Night Raider with the built in IR they use and an ATN X-Sight 5-18 with their Illuminator. The one's I'm looking at right now are the Streamlight Super Tac IR, UNV 20IR Illuminator and the Surefire M1. I don't have a local dealer that handles these so I can't actually handle or see them here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

WOW don't take this the wrong way but what communist state do you live in that NVG's are illegal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum