Texas Hunting Forum

X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update

Posted By: dfwroadkill

X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 03:59 PM

Who has it? How are you doing with it?
Posted By: deereguy

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 04:08 PM

Hoping this one is the keeper....
Posted By: TomH FW

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 04:12 PM

Downloaded it, but can not install it until tonight.
Posted By: mikei

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 06:04 PM

I've downloaded it, installed it, ran a quick function test, and everything that was working appears to be working correctly! Kinda wish ATN would supply us with a bit more detailed list of which issues they've targeted and fixed. I'll do some "real" testing a bit later. Here's ATN's verbage on the contents of .296:
• Major Improvement - Sound Recording Issues plaguing earlier version have been fixed
• Optimized Performance
• Improved Stability
• Squashed Bugs
Posted By: ChasCZ

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 07:26 PM

Installed it and put the last x-y numbers in. 10 rounds in 2in. ring around the bullseye at 100yrds. I now have sound using windows movie maker but still no sound with windows media player.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 08:15 PM

Now that sounds promising....waiting to hear from someone trying out the night vision.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 08:44 PM

I just tested the audio capture for video and it worked quite well. I used VLC Media player to listen; couldn't get any Windows program to play it back. I went directly from the miniSD to the VLC app.
Posted By: hibbydunk

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 10:21 PM

I was using 288, luckily on an air rifle. Main issue on 288 ws if you started video when you went to shoot at say 10x the picture would stay 10x but the reticule would move to 5x on 5x scope. So if I did a video I would shoot above the target as my 5x retcule was below center on the screen whereas the reticule was at centre at 10x. Shoot a lot of rabbots using 288 with no issues as long as not trying ro video.

I fixed my mount so from an awful original retcule zero somewhere around x -385 y 142 I managed to correct it to x -21 y 162. This left 5 x below centre on screen so reticule would move up as you zoomed to centre. So here is first change in 296. Have input zero of x -21 and y 162 and 5 x reticule is now above centre and moves down to centre as zoomed. Anyone else got the same issue.

I had sound in 288 perfect when played in quicktime as a .mov. When videoing in 288 there would be a small crash is best I could describe it as you started video and stopped it. Have just tested in 296 video now starts and finishes without the horrible pause.

Raining here so no chance to go out and do anything constructive video wise in NV to post will try tommorrow night weather permitting. Have noticed on small test I did do that close targets in my garden that were visible before are now completely white out so looks like they have done something to nv pickup so will use three mode IR tomorrow to see if it cures close range NV view.

Still flickers in low light amplification in NV.

Is as far as I have got.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/14/15 11:27 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

But, raining in UK East Sussex? Come on, hibbydunk, don't make us have to imagine such weather events! We've had our drought-breaking, historical rains here in Texas, so we're done with all that until, maybe, October or November.
Posted By: DavidK

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 12:35 AM

I've installed it, will test thoroughly tonight.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: mikei
Thanks for the feedback!

But, raining in UK East Sussex? Come on, hibbydunk, don't make us have to imagine such weather events! We've had our drought-breaking, historical rains here in Texas, so we're done with all that until, maybe, October or November.

yeah bit of a sh*tty excuse but dont get many rabbits out where I shoot when its raining, bloody fair weather pests cry

Getting back to my reticule if it went up before when centering and now it goes down, when did they get it wrong? Is it now reversed or was it reversed before confused2
Posted By: TomH FW

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 03:00 AM

OK, got it installed with no problem. Not able to go hunt tonight, but did fire it up and have a look out the back pasture. Night vision seemed better than prior, with not so much dampening. I hope to go hunt later this week.
Posted By: DavidK

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 04:56 AM

seems to still be a dimming issue somewhat, not the typical turn on, but when you take pics and video, when it comes out looks great, then goes dimmer

still a flicker in low light amplification

after I installed the firmware, I formatted the card from the scope menu, as I was outside and finished looking at stuff, I powered down, it powered back up and said it was configuring update??????? I had finished the install and it powered down and up and did the configure already

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 12:18 PM

I hung up a predator hunting decoy and videoed it for a short while. No issues, and the clarity of the recording itself is excellent. I tried the voice-over with another video and it worked as well. There seems to be some progress being made on getting this Sight up to its potential. Hope springs eternal. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBhlAK9PEJQ

https://youtu.be/-a-AMLptpNI
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 06:56 PM

I could barely hear you unless I turned up the computer and the Youtube player both on HIGH.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/15/15 07:19 PM

Double Naught Spy, I just ran it again on YouTube and, with the speaker set at about 3/4 on the screen, the audio was acceptable, but I was using ear phones. Now, I spoke softly because I figured that in a hunting situation, I would be very careful about how loudly I spoke. It may be that I need to turn my voice volume up a notch, but would be hesitant to do so. It may also be that I don't know what the heck I'm doing, since this is only my 2nd or 3rd attempt to test this feature and use YouTube. Is there some way I can increase the volume while the upload to YouTube is in progress? Or, after I've uploaded it, can I edit the YouTube recording and increase the volume?
Posted By: shoots100

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 04:21 AM

I finally got my wiz kid brother to come over and download the firmware.
I installed it without issue and tested it out for awhile as a viewer.
It works fine.
If it passes the range test, a 3X will need to be ordered.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 04:28 PM

I went out this morning to do a bit of live firing and to check to see if the X/Y coordinates had held up during the move from .266 to .296, and it appears that they did. One thing I did notice, is the fact that my batteries, which were fresh, died overnight in the gun safe, with all functions on the X-Sight turned off. Very disappointing; has anyone else experienced this premature battery death since installing .296?

https://youtu.be/vo71oZW72I4
Posted By: Beaubien

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 04:34 PM

I have not. Any chance you held the power button too long and the scope turned back on? That happened to me, caught it before I put the scope down, so it didn't cause any dead batteries.

You may want to invest in a good set of rechargeable batteries if you have not already. Also a good lithium power pack as an extended source of power is a good idea.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 05:01 PM

Is there a downside to just leaving the batteries out when not in use?

Charlie

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 06:33 PM

I take the batteries out when I put it in the gun safe, never know when I'll get back to it. Haven't seen any ill effects. I take the batteries out of most everything when I won't be using them for awhile. I have forgotten and had batteries leak and do damage.
Posted By: DrifterAT

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 06:56 PM

Good to hear using the previous x and y setting after upgrading to .296 retain POI. Thanks!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 08:33 PM

When I first got my 5-18, back in February, it would eat batteries as fast as I could put them in! Then, a few firmware updates later, it suddenly quit smoking through them. As of .266, keeping the batteries in for several days at a time worked just fine, and I was keeping track of battery life because of previous experience. I loaded .296 the day it came out, did a couple of very quick and dirty function tests, and put the rig in the safe. Next morning, the batteries were dead. I reloaded with fresh batteries and checked all my settings to make sure nothing was on; like WiFi, GPS, or even the microphone. Next morning the batteries were dead. Beaubien, I, too, got caught by not checking to make sure that "off" was really "OFF!" But checking to make sure is always a good idea. I am running top of the line Lithiums, and have begun carrying a 4 pak of them with me in the gun case. CharlieCtx, I have not heard of any problems associated with removing the batteries after every use, but since I've been in this "testing mode" and using the Scope a couple of times each day, I had begun leaving them in. I'll start taking them out after every use; but the need to do that troubles me a bit. What could be causing such a rapid drain? It doesn't sound right. DrifterAT, from the conversations I've seen, there are marked variances even between the same model of X-Sights, so I strongly urge everyone to test their unique unit for proper zero before trying to shoot anything other than plastic juice bottles, because it appears that your mileage may be different.
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 08:35 PM

how long does the internal battery keep the X,Y Position?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/16/15 09:47 PM

I can't give you a definitive answer, cyberpyrot, but mine was set in .266, lived through the .288-back-to-.266 dance, and is alive and well in .296. Hopefully others will chime in with their experiences.
Posted By: MGP

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 12:28 AM

I went out this morning to do a bit of live firing and to check to see if the X/Y coordinates had held up during the move from .266 to .296, and it appears that they did. One thing I did notice, is the fact that my batteries, which were fresh, died overnight in the gun safe, with all functions on the X-Sight turned off. Very disappointing; has anyone else experienced this premature battery death since installing .296?

https://youtu.be/vo71oZW72I4

I shot mine today and the X Y has changed but that was from the download before 266 I never downloaded 266 also right after I did the download my scope would not shut off so I just shut it down 2 more times and now after I power up and then power down it has stayed off. My scope has the same batteries in it since it was new.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 12:49 AM

I didn't know there was an internal battery. I suspect that it has a non-volatile memory.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 12:50 AM

MGP, good for you! I've probably got $100 in dead battery carcasses laying around! But, since your experience and mine have been so different, it takes me back to my point that there appear to be differences, even within the same models of the X-Sight. Troubling, to say the least. Worst case scenario is that the programmers who are working so hard to get this piece of gear performing to its advertised potential may be chasing a set of moving goal posts!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 03:13 AM

I put mine away tonight with the batteries in. I'll check tomorrow to see how the batteries fared. I have 3 updates and around 200 rounds on this set plus I recorded several videos. It's a 3x12 if that makes a difference.
Posted By: b4ger731

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 10:36 AM

left my batterys in over night still ok this morning . no battery drane firmwere 296

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 11:11 AM

b4ger731, are running a 3-12 or a 5-18?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 11:34 AM

I loaded 296 on both my 3x and 5x x-sights yesterday. I'll verify zero when I get to my lease this afternoon and test dimming, picture, video, and audio functions tonight while chasing hogs.

I've never had problems with batteries as long as I ensure I turn the scope off. X-sights are very sensitive with the power off function.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 11:49 AM

i got the 5x18

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 01:58 PM

OK, I guess there may be an issue with my particular scope.

Originally Posted By: b4ger731
i got the 5x18

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 02:27 PM

I have turned everything off on mine including the date and time after every update and I have never taking the batteries out. Im using Energizer Lithium's same batteries since scope was new. I think I might put a fresh set in before I do any hunting with it just to be safe. Ill have to look but I think its been almost a year or more.
Tested mine last night and the dimming issue seems much better almost not there. On medium there was no flicker. I can live with it the way it is now. But I have not tried recording anything with it. All I want is a scope that I can see and shoot at night so im happy at the moment.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 02:35 PM

mikei. I left the used batteries in my 3x12 for 12 hours. Just tried it and they seemed to be dead. I don't know why I tried it but I loosened the cap and retightened it. Scope fired right up. Try some of your dead batteries again to see if they are still good. Contact issue perhaps?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 03:21 PM

I tested several types of batteries before I settled on Kently rechargeable batteries. Most of my hunts are 2 nights. I turn the scope and IR on when it gets dark and don't shut it off until I'm ready to head back to camp. I also take pictures and videos of game. I average about 6 - 10 hours of night hunting over two nights and the batteries are still good but I recharge them before my next hunt.

I'm at the lease 2 of every 3 weekends smile
Posted By: caseyusmc

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 03:55 PM

I have a question that hopefully someone can answer. I have the 5x and bought it a few months ago and messed around with some clearly it had some issuers but I do like it. The main problem was the reticle disappearing when I zoomed in. I got the update for that a few weeks back but did not download it yet. Not I got the email for the new update. Do I need to download the reticle one first or if I down the newest one will it fix both issues? Thanks I. Advance

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 04:20 PM

Just download the newest one.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 04:26 PM

Thankyou for the quick response

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 04:39 PM

ChasCZ, I did check my batteries, and they were dead as a doornail, unfortunately. But thanks for the hint!

Originally Posted By: ChasCZ
mikei. I left the used batteries in my 3x12 for 12 hours. Just tried it and they seemed to be dead. I don't know why I tried it but I loosened the cap and retightened it. Scope fired right up. Try some of your dead batteries again to see if they are still good. Contact issue perhaps?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 05:35 PM

Having an issue loading the new firmware. I'm not very smart when it comes to computer stuff but I downloaded the the update from the atn sight. Then saved it to my micro sd card and I thought when I turn the scope on the question should pop up asking if I want to upload it. But I'm not for sure. Is there something I need to do or aomehwere I need to go in order to upload this?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: caseyusmc
Having an issue loading the new firmware. I'm not very smart when it comes to computer stuff but I downloaded the the update from the atn sight. Then saved it to my micro sd card and I thought when I turn the scope on the question should pop up asking if I want to upload it. But I'm not for sure. Is there something I need to do or aomehwere I need to go in order to upload this?

Make sure the firmware did not get renamed to Xsight1.bin it needs to be xsight.bin

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/17/15 05:47 PM

I figured it out it was he name that the update was saved in was not identical to what the scope wanted. Thanks for the help guys

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/18/15 05:12 PM

ChasCZ, I did check my batteries, and they were dead as a doornail, unfortunately. But thanks for the hint!

i have ad the batterys in it for about 40 hours there still holding charge
Posted By: rcrdps

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 02:36 PM

Hi folks. I guess I signed up to this board a little prematurely. I bought the 5x18 yesterday at Bass Pro. I had read that there were some issues, but I thought they were all concerning things like wifi, recording, etc. The videos online looked great, and I was hoping this thing would outperform or at least match my digisight N550, and also provide the cool wifi and recording. Unfortunately, when I tried it last night, even before I took it outside, I was noticing that it had less light sensitivity than even my cellphone. My N550 can see in the dark, though not clearly, without IR. IR just makes everything much more crisp. This thing can't even look into a dim corner without IR. So I joined this board to see if there was a fix. But I have since read that this is the "auto dim" "feature" introduced post production and those nice videos are from pre-production units? When I first tried the High intensity, it did look good for a split second( as I have read others experienced also).

So if that is true, I'm going to try to return this to Bass Pro today. This is supposed to be a night sight. That needs to be it's primary function. The other features are extremely cool, but not worth it if it can't see at night.

Thanks for the informative board. Wish I had read more before I bought this. Of course, you don't know those key words to search for until you've had the issue.

Gene

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 03:53 PM

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to test 296 at the lease Friday night. My daughter shot a large Boar right before dark and I left my stand to give her a hand with it. By the time we had it iced down, I was too tired to go back out.

My zero changed from 19(x) and 74(y) to -24(x) to 72(y) on my 3-12x.
Posted By: Shadow357x2

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 03:53 PM

Gene,
What firmware was installed on your xsight when you got it out of the box. Chances are you need to update to the newest one which is .296. Some of the auto dimming was addressed in this last update. Also the factory ir isnt the best in the world, the videos and photos you have seen more than likely were taken with aftermarket ir on board.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 04:47 PM

I upgraded to this code as soon as I got it home. The factory IR is extremely bright when I use it on my N550. I can only see 10 yds or so with the ATN.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 05:38 PM

I'm sure you've tried it but, there's an adjustment on the IR to widen and narrow the beam. I took my ATN IR off the scope and moved it to the front on my rifle hand guard. It improved visibility to around 175 yards in an open field. Around a funnel surrounded by trees, visibility is reduced due to the IR reflection off the trees. Of course an after market IR provides significant visibility improvement.

You're correct about a very limited visibility w/o an IR unless there's a full moon. I've had my first X-sight Since December and would never consider using it without the IR.

Good luck with your decision.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 06:06 PM

I'm fairly experienced with IR sources and their effects. I have the built-in on the N550, a 5 LED modified flashlight, a laser, a modified cree flashlight, and a surefire that I've modified with 20 5 degree beam LEDs. As you mention, close trees limit your long distance view. But I used the ATN factory IR on my N550, and it did a real nice job of lightning up my field even with a few close trees in the peripheral vision. The N550 has manual brightness adjust, but also auto dims slightly. Either the ATN is just too conservatively programmed or it's not sensitive enough.

I might not get to return it today, so I'm game to try anything. But not willing to wait on the possibility that ATN may fix it sometime in the future.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 06:21 PM

To be clear, I'd love to keep this thing. I'm just worried that folks who think it's ok, haven't seen through something like a digisight. If you folks have current video of it working at night, and can tell me how to duplicate it, I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Gene

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 08:10 PM

Do you have it in night mode? It is not an automatic switch. In day mode with the IR all you'll get is about 5 yrds of a very fuzzy, very small view at night.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 08:23 PM

Yep. It did take me a while to figure that out, but I did enable it before I went outside.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 10:02 PM

Playing around in a dark room. I think what's happening is when you turn on High intensity, it overheats and kicks it to low or possibly lower than that. That's why when the scope is cold, you can get a nice view with High for a few seconds until it heats up. Makes me wonder if they had a few beta units go bad, so they set the heat threshold lower.

Looking at a fan across the room, with only a bit of light coming in from the doorway, I can ever so slightly make out that there is a fan there with the scope set at medium. With my N550 set at it's absolute lowest( it's fully variable), I can see the fan quite clearly and most all details. At full brightness on the N550, it gets kinda grainy, but is bright. It's like high ISO on your camera. All of this is with no IR.

With IR, the ATN may be a little more crisp. It's a little more zoom, so that could be some of it. The ATN puts out way way way more IR than the N550. The N550 can't handle that much IR on close items.

I'll try the ATN set on Medium tonight. I thought I had tried that before, but I'll double-check. If I can't see the back side of my field with this much IR, it's going back in the box. I'll spend the 700 on accessories for the N550. Maybe a doubler.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: rcrdps
Yep. It did take me a while to figure that out, but I did enable it before I went outside.

I have a doubler kit I don't use if you are interested.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/19/15 10:17 PM

Sounds like a well-reasoned approach, rcrdps. Let us know what you discover tonight.

My X-Sight is all I have in my inventory of "night sights," so I have nothing to compare it to. For me, being able to see a target at 100 yards+, at night, is a rush. Most of the other NV offerings out there are out of my pay grade by a very large amount! For me, it's a case of "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with!" While I'm still way short of "loving" the current rendition of the X-Sight, it does seem, at glacial speed, to be getting a little bit better with each firmware release. As I've said before, hope springs eternal. . .

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/20/15 04:47 AM

Sigh,.... it's back in the box. Such a sexy scope with cool options. Wish it could have performed on par with my digisight. I had thought my N550 was getting old and the new stuff would outperform it even though cheaper, since that is how electronics tend to go.

Observations/Tests:
Set to High. You CAN get it to see out past nearby foliage for a little bit if you set it to high. I no longer think it's a heat thing. I think the auto dim must just be set for Medium. Maybe they forgot to make separate calibrations for auto dim. The High setting needs to allow for more exposure.

But the sensor is still not anywhere near as sensitive as the digisight. Pulsar lists theirs as .0001 lux. Wonder what the ATN is. The ATN is blank screen until the IR comes on. The N550 can actually be somewhat useful without IR. If you turn off IR, you can see deeper into the woods since up close objects aren't brighter than far objects. And if I use the ATN IR on the N550,...gosh,... I need to buy one of these torches. But they are way visible,.....don't like that.

So with that much IR, ya'll will have a pretty nice scope once ATN gets the auto dim right. But after side to side comparison, I don't feel quite ready to ditch the N550 for this one. This is really hard though, cause I'm definitely an electronic features junky.

cyberpyrot: PM me with details. Just the adapter, or with a lens? I had considered making my own adapter on the lathe, but if the price is right,...

Gene
Posted By: frank.35

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/20/15 01:56 PM

Is this a real time scope? I just got the 5 by 18 and there seem to be a lag or delay in the scope,

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/22/15 01:39 AM

I have access to three X sights now(2-5X's and 1- 3X) and none have any issues as has been described with the .288 or .296 firmware versions installed.
I hope it isn't the case, but I'm thinking some of the dealers are sending out returned units.
I only use my x sights for hunting outdoors.
I always use an IR illuminator and have no issues seeing out to 300 yards.
The factory IR I have is only useable to 75 yards and it eats batteries, so it sits on a shelf.
I have used most of the digital scopes out there and the 550 is a good scope.
If you buy a doubler kit, It will need to be epoxied into place , or you'll have POI issues.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/22/15 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: frank.35
Is this a real time scope? I just got the 5 by 18 and there seem to be a lag or delay in the scope,

Are you getting the lag day and night? If night only check there is a setting....(can't remember what it's called) that when set to high will cause this.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/23/15 12:45 AM

It is called Light Amplification. The default setting is medium. Switch it to low and try it.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/23/15 04:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Beaubien
It is called Light Amplification. The default setting is medium. Switch it to low and try it.

Thanks Beaubien...crs sucks...mine was fine in medium but high made it lag bad.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/26/15 02:00 PM

Ignore the date and time I never reset it this was the other night about 10:30 pm looks like its working great.
Video Here
http://vid1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee441/mgp11/7-21-15%20Bucks_zpsyj3fxdnv.mp4

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/26/15 07:52 PM

MGP, what was the range on those deer?

Not going to lie, I got my x-sight a while ago, and it has been sitting in my safe waiting for the right update...I finally got it out and tried out .296, and took it to the lease this past Friday. I experienced very similar results to what MGP posting in his video (I didn't video at all, sorry) and I got a clean picture well out past 100 yards u too the trees were too thick to see anything past. Could have easily taken a shot at an animal at that range and the picture was without flicker or lag. This was with a TNV IR20 mounted in the scope's rail. This was by no means an exhaustive test, but from what I saw I was happy.

Now I just have to sight it in, and hunt it with it. Gotta see animals to shoot them though, and that was our problem this trip, saw nothing at all, not even a rabbit or skunk. It is hot out there!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/27/15 12:30 AM

It's good to hear and see that the newest firmware is working for other X sight owners. I took my 5x, thermals and day optics to the range today to do some removal and remounting POI testing. No problems with any of my optics used. Took the x sight out to 200 yards and am confident that my prey will have no place to hide. Other shooters were impressed with the X sight, especially when I showed them that you could take video or still's with it and it was also a night scope. It was too much for some of the older shooters to deal with, but their kids were actually interested in it and some even put down their cell phones to take a look at it. I never used the wifi feature and don't know if it works on the .296 version, but they were stoked(That's Excited to you old coots) about it. Since I don't give a rats [censored] about wifi, I couldn't answer the questions they were asking me. All I need to do is wait for October to roll around and then I can put all this kit to use. I'm counting the days.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/27/15 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
MGP, what was the range on those deer?

Not going to lie, I got my x-sight a while ago, and it has been sitting in my safe waiting for the right update...I finally got it out and tried out .296, and took it to the lease this past Friday. I experienced very similar results to what MGP posting in his video (I didn't video at all, sorry) and I got a clean picture well out past 100 yards u too the trees were too thick to see anything past. Could have easily taken a shot at an animal at that range and the picture was without flicker or lag. This was with a TNV IR20 mounted in the scope's rail. This was by no means an exhaustive test, but from what I saw I was happy.

Now I just have to sight it in, and hunt it with it. Gotta see animals to shoot them though, and that was our problem this trip, saw nothing at all, not even a rabbit or skunk. It is hot out there!

That was only 30 yards but I can see perfect out to 186 yards that's the longest I have tested it and holds its poi at all zoom levels.I have found the IR works best were I have it mounted. Finally it works good enough for what I want it for!!!! LOL

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/27/15 02:57 PM

Ok got around to boresighting my scope last night, and initially I was around -296,128. This gave a reticle off the left and down, which centered fine when zoomed, but was off center at 5x. I looked through the forum to find where I could switch from reticle centered to optical centered and it seems the .296 doesn't have this feature. I was able To shim the scope so it is minimally off center at 5x so it shouldn't be a big deal,

But has anyone else with .296 noticed the lack of the two centering options that were present in previous firmware updates?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 07/27/15 03:59 PM

Yes there is only the one option. Seems nobody wanted to read the pdf on what each one did and complained that the reticle moved off screen while zooming in. So the best for everyone was to not have an option. My 3x12 works fine with the new firmware.
Posted By: Flir-D-Lee

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/03/15 06:50 PM

Man.I'm having trouble doing the update. I've done 2 other times before with
266 and older. Everytime I follow directions exactly as prescribed. The firmware still shows
266 after it goes through it's thing and I do the reboot. Dang it !! I completely erased the SD card and formatted,
Then downloaded 296 and copied to Sd card. What is the deal !!!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/03/15 10:00 PM

You definitely changed file name to xsight.bin, wont work otherwise. Probably stupid question but when in a rush sometimes forget to do the obvious.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/03/15 10:09 PM

Ok got around to boresighting my scope last night, and initially I was around -296,128. This gave a reticle off the left and down, which centered fine when zoomed, but was off center at 5x.

My firstvzero was x minus ridiculous (well over -300) and y around 162. Took the whole mount off resquared using an old square tool for joinery and now is almost zero on x but still around 160 on y. Mount doesnt have to be far off square to have ridic x co-ordinate which on mine is just down to minor oversize slack on the main screw holes in the mount meaning you can move it fractionally off square while screws are being tightened. Just bad qc on the mounts.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/07/15 01:11 PM

I hope everyone is having good luck with this 296 update not much talk going here about it so hopefully that means everyone is out in the field using there X-Sight with good results.
Posted By: RONIN003

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/07/15 02:52 PM

I have been waiting about 1.5 months to get my scope back from ATN. confused I sent it back to get the updated threaded Objective through Sachal.

Any one else do an exchange recently?
Posted By: Flir-D-Lee

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/07/15 06:36 PM

I have the .296 update loaded now. I have sound on the video !!! woooo hooo !
Works like a charm now. The only gripe I have with this scope is the crosshair
being left and low on the 5X power. Maybe they can fix that later and this will
be an A1 NV scope. I still use my thermal most of the time but sometimes I have
friends or kids that want to hunt too. This is now a great tool to add to your
night hunting collection. Piggies beware !!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/07/15 11:02 PM

I sighted mine in and am awaiting predator season to roll around to put it to use. I occasionally take it out every once and awhile, but the bugs chase me back inside.
Remember to keep the batteries out if you plan on storing it for awhile.
I don't know if ATN is working on another firmware update, but it would be nice if they take care of the shifting reticle issue, like they've taken care of the other issues.
Most of my hunting is close range, so I use it on 5X, but I'd like to be able to magnify it a bit more when using it in some of the larger fields I plan to hunt this year.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/07/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: shoots100
I sighted mine in and am awaiting predator season to roll around to put it to use. I occasionally take it out every once and awhile, but the bugs chase me back inside.
Remember to keep the batteries out if you plan on storing it for awhile.
I don't know if ATN is working on another firmware update, but it would be nice if they take care of the shifting reticle issue, like they've taken care of the other issues.
Most of my hunting is close range, so I use it on 5X, but I'd like to be able to magnify it a bit more when using it in some of the larger fields I plan to hunt this year.

Everyone's X-Sight seems to be a little different my batteries are the same ones that have been in it since it was new and I leave them in and luckily I have not had a problem

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/09/15 07:22 PM

I too have never had a battery issue, but I always take them out when I don't plan to use it for more than two weeks.
All of my high end electronic optic manufacturers recommend taking the batteries out when not in use for long periods.
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/09/15 11:18 PM

Just use them more often laugh

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/11/15 11:51 PM

Said awhile back would try and do new video down park in 296. So here it is.

https://youtu.be/TnVWBk4YiAE

Can't say it is much better than the first but at least proves you can go out to 180yds at furthest corner when there isn't anything too close to screw up the auto dimming. Started in 5x then went up to 12 I think. Was a while ago. Reticule position at 5x fixed now poor qc on manufacture, i didn't have to shim mine but if you look at original video it was way off to left before. Simply squared it properly on its base.

Issues - can't watch back video on xsight screen as you could in 248/266 I think it was. Still don't think the 1080p recording is that great done them in medium light. Still preferred 720p. Still flickers in low light. Cant say auto dimming is any better but I have been using most powerful ir torches i have nm800 and t38as. Anyway good enough for my air rifle which is who I think it is popular with over here. Certifier boys mainly use drove pros. It is a bloody good nv digiscope but at 1200 bucks more in your money it should be.

Couple of vids from doing rabbits for neighbour tonight his small paddock is riddled. 20 and 40 yds medium light amp at 10. Other issue I find on 5x is fixing focus there is a really long swing on the focus ring just seems too hard at times to get it bang on.

https://youtu.be/d_SHrcFyz0E

https://youtu.be/raYNCgsP5TM

F*****g predictive text is meant to say centrefire.

Meant to say drone too!!!!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/12/15 12:50 AM

Talk about a "target rich environment!" It looks like the rabbits have taken over; and it also looks like a lot of good shooting every night you can spare!

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/12/15 06:33 AM

Talk about a "target rich environment!" It looks like the rabbits have taken over; and it also looks like a lot of good shooting every night you can spare!

Yeah lots of rabbits evrywhere. Used to be eaten a lot over here and then they introduced myxomatosis and nobody wants to eat them anymore so they have got out of control really. Didn't work putting it down they just screwed up a cheap source of food. Trouble is now a lot of areas get overrun like my neighbour down the road and they are digging holes everywhere in sight including under his wood barn. Cause a lot of damage to crops on arable land unless you keep them under control. Anyway means I get plenty shooting in my free time. banana

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/12/15 11:28 AM

Sounds and like you're living in a small piece of Australia! Keep on whackin' 'em and stackin' 'em.
Posted By: duster243

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/15/15 03:33 AM

Hi I just got an x sight 5x18 and was wondering if you guys know of a fix for the night vision flicker? I have the latest firmware .296 update.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/15/15 07:23 AM

In settings change light amplification from low to medium. Don't use high you will get lots of lag. Low is best picture but medium is pretty good too.😁

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/15/15 02:58 PM

Ok thanks a bunch, I'll switch it when I get home.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/16/15 04:20 PM

Hey guys just wondering what your thoughts are on the Pulsar-808S IR lazer pared up with my x sight? I'm pretty new to the whole nightvision thing, any advice would be great.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/16/15 10:18 PM

I would look back at previous xsight threads ie version 266 etc to see what folks is using over there. Pulsar is good on a pulsar but I wouldn't use it on a xsight. I have been using a Night Master 800 (overly expensive) and a T38 with the new Olson pill in it (works great on everything) but don't know if anyone is making them up / selling them in the US and you tend to give them slightly different names.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/17/15 10:02 PM

I've lost my low battery indicator on .296. It's happened to me twice now in the last 3 weeks. Anyone else have this same issue?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/19/15 08:17 PM

Hey everyone, I was told by a ATN tech that putting on your sun shade during nightvision operation can help cut down on the flickering. Has anyone tried this before?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/19/15 11:16 PM

I have a sun shade on my 3 - 12X X-sight but I believe it was .296 that improved the flickering.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/19/15 11:43 PM

I don't have flickering on medium setting but on low I do. It's unfortunate because the low setting has the nicest picture and no lag. I'm going to try out the sunshade tonight and see if that does anything.
Posted By: chodenut

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/29/15 04:52 PM

Hello all. I just received my xsight and did the firmware update. Sometimes after I power it down, it automatically turns on again. Does anyone else have this happen or know a fix? I could see this behavior causing the overnight battery drain some are having.

Also, I took it to the range and attempted to zero it. I did the zero and got it close but was not able to tweek it in (adjust it in any way other than reset) after the first time. The poi never moved after the first setting.

It sounds like I have a unit that gets stuck in a loop. I might reinstall the firmware but is that a realistic fix?

This thing has so much potential but right now it is a conversation piece.

Thanks for any help,
John

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/29/15 08:43 PM

You are probably holding the power button a little too long. This can cause your restart.

Try zeroing at max magnification. It allows smaller increments for more precise zeroing. I've had to move to full allowance of movement while zeroing and then save that and start again to get far enough to achieve a proper zero.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/30/15 01:06 AM

I was able to get it on paper, then no adjustment I made after the first one moved the point of impact. I was zeroing at max zoom.

I tried several techniques to power off. If i let go too soon, it stayed on. In the end I got fed up and just took the battery cap off...

I will probably re-update the firmware and just start over.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/30/15 09:46 PM

Just after the shutdown gets to 1 sec you will hear a click take your finger off quick. Once you practice it a bit you should get it switched off ok but you do need to check it is off a bit of a pain.

I zero at 10x and then as fr3db3ar says zoom it out to 12-15 and it will allow finer adjustment. Once zeroed make sure and write diwn where it zeroed. If you are fiddling around it can be easy to reset it to zero zero by mistake.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/30/15 11:29 PM

I've noticed something with my ATN 3-12x wrt focus and IR ability. I use a UNV20 with it.

One of my hunting spots is a fence crossing 168 yards from my tripod. It's shaped like a funnel from 7 - 15 yards wide. It has trees and bushes on both sides of the trail causing IR bounce/reflections. No feeder, pipe or lights there. I lay corn the afternoon before my hunts. I have a camera facing the crossing that takes a 10 second video after 3 pictures. Here's what I noticed.

At that distance, I can only see clearly in 3 - 4x power but beyond that, it's a guess sometimes just to determine the head and rear of the hog when they're eating the corn on the ground. When the camera video fires up, the entire pig or deer just becomes very clear and lit up. Focus is spot on and I can see all movements the pig moves. I find myself waiting until the video comes on to take the shot.

MY question is will a more powerful and pinpoint IR give me this scope clarity at similar distances is these type of "funnel" spots? What is this model IR?

I know that hunting large food plots where IR has nothing to reflect back, I can use the scope beyond 300 yards

Thoughts?

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 02:14 PM

Drifter you just realized the inherent flaw with digital NV requiring IR illumination. You might be able
To focus the IR a little more to Maybe decrease some of the scatter you are getting, but having the subject lit from close like your camera is doing will always win out over a 170 yard flashlight.

From my understanding, the unv20 is a pretty good light, but not the best. Talk to Tyler at ultimate night vision and he may have some ideas. That's about the best advice I can give, as I know very little about IR flashlights. Another possibility is to take your post and make it a new thread about focused long range IR flashlights in this forum.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 03:13 PM

Hi Drifter..I use a t50 and a t67 I got from Predator Hunter Outdoors. They both focus down very tight and that helps a lot in those circumstances. Like texas buckeye stated all the NV will do this with IR.

I seen your post the other day and was hoping to get a video together giving you a demo of both lights. I will try this week yet and post it here. I have a lane that will simulate your issue well.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 03:39 PM

Deerguy, you like highlander or something? Seeing as how you been a pro staff since 1016....I bet you got lots of good experience with shooting during all them wars since then roflmao

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 03:43 PM

Deerguy, you like highlander or something? Seeing as how you been a pro staff since 1016....I bet you got lots of good experience with shooting during all them wars since then roflmao

What are talking about..:)

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 03:49 PM

Oh nevermind, might have been my eyes playing tricks on me but I could have swore I saw your pro staff disclosure saying 1016 instead of 2016....my bad, just playing with ya.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 05:10 PM

LOL..more of a problem with my eyes than yours....it did say that I was just able to change it quickly after you pointed it out....it's all good....

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 05:20 PM

I wondered....but my eyes do fail me, especially when hunting and everything looks like a deer...

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 05:27 PM

Ha...I can relate. I wear contacts for hunting and they aren't the best for reading text on the screen...I probably updated my sig when I had my contacts in.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 08/31/15 09:45 PM

Well, since that's next year I think it's still a little off laugh

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/03/15 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by DrifterAT
I've noticed something with my ATN 3-12x wrt focus and IR ability. I use a UNV20 with it.

One of my hunting spots is a fence crossing 168 yards from my tripod. It's shaped like a funnel from 7 - 15 yards wide. It has trees and bushes on both sides of the trail causing IR bounce/reflections. No feeder, pipe or lights there. I lay corn the afternoon before my hunts. I have a camera facing the crossing that takes a 10 second video after 3 pictures. Here's what I noticed.

At that distance, I can only see clearly in 3 - 4x power but beyond that, it's a guess sometimes just to determine the head and rear of the hog when they're eating the corn on the ground. When the camera video fires up, the entire pig or deer just becomes very clear and lit up. Focus is spot on and I can see all movements the pig moves. I find myself waiting until the video comes on to take the shot.

MY question is will a more powerful and pinpoint IR give me this scope clarity at similar distances is these type of "funnel" spots? What is this model IR?

I know that hunting large food plots where IR has nothing to reflect back, I can use the scope beyond 300 yards

Thoughts?

Drifter...I finally got around to the video..hope it helps to demonstrate the benefits of being able to get a tight IR

beam.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/03/15 03:29 AM

Thanks for the video deereguy - I'll do some research on the T50.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/12/15 07:56 PM

I reloaded the firmware and started over. Next I laser bore sighted at 15 yrds. I then went to the range and sighted at 50 yards.

Other than some wackiness when bore sighting, I have not had irrecoverable issues like I had previously.

I am in love. This thing will make me a better marksman. I have known of my deficiencies as a shooter, but never had the confidence in my optics to recognize improvement.

Next is the nocturnal feral hog test.

+1 for the ATN XSight 5-18
CN

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/12/15 10:27 PM

Has any one tested or asked ATN the measurement of the x y reticle coordinates at 100yrds? Such as one (1) y movement equals 1/3" at 100 yards .... like .1 mil-radian is about 1/3" at 100 yards.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/13/15 03:52 AM

When I sighted in the other week, when making adjustments at 50 yards I went from around -68 to -73 in the y axis to give me about an inch more down. That would be about 5 clicks to get two inches at 100. Not sure that is entirely accurate but it might be close.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/13/15 03:56 AM

Funny thing when I was sighting in, I forgot I maxed out the mag on the sight and kept thinking to myself I had an awful lot of pulse rise/drop with each heartbeat....not saying I am a great shooter because I am not, but I usually don't see my reticle bouncing so much. Then I realized I was nagged up over 20x and when I backed it down it all got back to normal. Was really beginning to wonder about myself for a few minutes. I was able
To shoot essentially MOA with this scope after sighting in at 25 then 50, and then at 100. Now I just need
To get some animals in the way of the bullets.

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 09/14/15 04:22 PM

new update software .343 is out
Posted By: geoffthefarmer

Re: X-Sight Owners forum for the (1.8.06.296) firmware update - 10/12/15 01:28 AM

Installed it and put the last x-y numbers in. 10 rounds in 2in. ring around the bullseye at 100yrds. I now have sound using windows movie maker but still no sound with windows media player.

This is why forums are so great. I had no idea that the sound was only a problem with windows media player. I used QuickTime Player and ta-da I have sound. I just assumed it was another bug, maybe if their quality control was better then I wouldn't immediately assume any problem was a bug.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum