Texas Hunting Forum

Eotech for duty AR

Posted By: kstringer

Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 08:05 PM

I'm am fixing to get my AR to carry on duty. I am determined to get an eotech for my sight but I'm not sure which model is ideal. Is there any major difference in some of these models for what I want it for??

Thoughts??

Thanks!
Posted By: Gravytrain

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 08:06 PM

Are you going to have access to night vision equipment?

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 08:09 PM

Possibly. If there isn't a huge price difference I would consider getting a NV capable one
Posted By: ChipChipperson45

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 09:03 PM

get an aimpoint. Wife is a cop and she kept forgetting to turn the batteries off after range trips. Several times while checking her gear she would discover that batteries were dead. With her aimpoint's insane battery life, she doesn't have to worry about it anymore. Although, she says she still misses the bigger reticle on the Eotech.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 09:22 PM

EOTech is great for close-range stuff. Not great for longer shots.

I never had any issues with the one I had on my Rock River. I just got the basic 512 so I could use AAs. I think I only replaced them once the whole time I owned it, but I was very good about remembering to turn it off after I was done using it. Even if you don't, it turns itself off after 8 or 12 hours IIRC.

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 11:01 PM

I've thought about an aim point but I am a fan of eotech. The battery thing isn't an issue. I use the cr123 in my weapon light so I always have a bunch on me...

I'm leaning towards the smaller one. The xps3
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/26/15 11:47 PM

Mine isn't NV compatible but there is nothing wrong with the 512. I wear a flip to the side 3x magnifier on mine and shot a coyote pup in the head @ 170 yards. They can be just fine for longer shots. While the reticle seems pixelated on it's own, once you add the magnifier it becomes crystal clear. YMMV
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/27/15 03:15 AM

The sight picture is good but the battery thing is and can be an issue. You might check,out something innate trijicon line. With your discounts you can find something. Don't skimp,on your equipment for your life
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/27/15 03:41 PM

A lot of guys I know switched from Eotech to Aimpoint, I've never used the Eotech so I can't give anything helpful. I do know the Aimpoint PRO is a great sight for the money and the battery has like a 3 year life and is designed to be left on in the ready.
Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/27/15 10:18 PM

I like the aimpoint better than eo due to reticle size
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/27/15 10:35 PM

I stick with the Aimpoints on my patrol rifle. Just never have cared for the Eotech. I will not knock them though as they are good and have their uses. If you are using the rifle for entry, and just want something on the weapon, then the Eotech will work. If you are city officer then I would say the same. If you are in the county then you might think about the Aimpoint. Mine is NV compatible, if that is what you want. My rifle has a front sight and I know that, if my battery is out or I don't turn the dot on, that if my front sight is covering my target that I am going to hit. That should be the same way with the Eotech, unless you just don't get aligned well when you bring it up to the ready. The main thing is to get one that can handle getting knocked around and that you are comfortable with.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/28/15 03:54 AM

Cousin is in Marsoc, and he and the entire unit use eotech for cqb work. I have ran 3 gun with both and still have both. If my range is 100 yds in eotech if ill use at 100+ exclusively the aimpoint. I noticed for me the situational awareness and peripheral is much easier with eotech. I tend to get tunneling with aimpoint. Both quality choices comes down to personal preference. Fwiw i here the new mako/idf holo sight is worth every penny and hell of good battery life.

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/28/15 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: fr3db3ar
Mine isn't NV compatible but there is nothing wrong with the 512. I wear a flip to the side 3x magnifier on mine and shot a coyote pup in the head @ 170 yards. They can be just fine for longer shots. While the reticle seems pixelated on it's own, once you add the magnifier it becomes crystal clear. YMMV
The magnifier is the way to go for anything long-range. But dang that thing is expensive!
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/28/15 04:08 PM

I just have 512 on mine, does fine, nothing fancy, but I wasn't looking for fancy either.

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/28/15 04:25 PM

Alright. Thanks guys for all your feedback. It's greatly appreciated. There is a gun show here in Houston in a few weeks so I'll get to look at the aim point and eotech side by side.
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/28/15 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Originally Posted By: fr3db3ar
The magnifier is the way to go for anything long-range. But dang that thing is expensive!

I got the PA version. Works great.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/29/15 02:32 PM

Get a 1-4x scope. Does everything an eotech does, and then some.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/29/15 04:08 PM

I like the EOTechs, had Aim point, and much more expensive sights. But I always go back to the EOTech, and High quality batteries.
Posted By: jefeh

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/29/15 08:11 PM

When I was a combat medic, I tried all of them. Started with the Eotech 512 but didn't like the pixilated reticle. Switched to Trijicon, but had a difficult time seeing the cross hairs. Switched to aimpoint and still have them on 3 sbrs. All of the above have their plus and minuses, and each individual sees through a scope differently. As mentioned, the eotech does become clear when viewed through a magnifier. I purchased a trijicon rmr for my G17 but ended up mounting it on my ps90 and absolutely love it. I've also looked through the Mako and it's an incredible scope. Go look at them all and see which one you like best. Stay safe.

S/F

Jeff

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/30/15 02:12 AM

Well. Unfortunately my policy for my job regulates what i can and can not use. I'm limited to a 0 magnification scope I.e. Eotech/aimpoint with no magnifier.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/30/15 09:04 AM

Compare the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic 2 MOA dot and any Eotech, and I bet you go with the Aimpoint. Almost all of the 1700 officers in my agency use the Aimpoint after a decade of using a wide range of 1X optics.

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/30/15 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
Compare the Aimpoint Patrol Rifle Optic 2 MOA dot and any Eotech, and I bet you go with the Aimpoint. Almost all of the 1700 officers in my agency use the Aimpoint after a decade of using a wide range of 1X optics.
I'm not really experienced with these 1X optics. What is the advantage of something like the aimpoint over the eotech for a 1x application? I'd think field of view and ease of reticle/target acquisition would be at a premium, and I can't see how any of these tubular optics could exceed the eotech in that environment?
Posted By: Tim9880

Re: Eotech for duty AR - 06/30/15 09:28 PM

Inside 25 yards the eotech shines with its wide open view, and the fact that you can use the lower hash mark on the circle as an aiming point for your cqb holdover. Outside 25, the aimpoint with its smaller red dot and tube seem to focus down the eyefor increased accuracy. Try and shoot em both and see what you prefer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum