Texas Hunting Forum

Another Spotting Scope Question

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/14/15 08:41 PM

Cameraland has a good deal on a Vortex Viper HD 15-45x60mm spotter. My goal is to see 30 caliber bullet holes at 800 yards. Is the 45X enough magnification and should I expect clear enough optics from the Viper to get this done?

I have never owned a Vortex product in my life, so I have absolutely nothing to base any judgement on.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/15/15 12:16 AM

I seriously doubt you will see .30 cal bullet holes in white paper at 800 yards. I really can't say what spotting scope can get that done. Maybe a Razor 20-60X, but most likely mirage will not allow any optic to do it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/15/15 04:32 AM

I'm thinking down-range camera system. I'm with FJG that no scope is going to see that.
Posted By: Fongman

Re: Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/15/15 01:11 PM

Nope. I have a Spotter 60 and can't see that. You're better off shooting steel at that distance.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/15/15 01:55 PM

You might be able to see 30 cal holes at 800 yards with a stand up tripod sized telescope, but doubtful with a typical table top shooting range styled spotter IMO....and I'd be looking at glass that started at Swarovski prices or better. Wind vibration is going to be a problem most likely too, so the unit needs to be heavy enough to stay anchored securly.

With enough money, it'll be a peice of cake.
Ron
Posted By: Fongman

Re: Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/15/15 03:22 PM

You've got to remember as well, that as soon as mirage sets in you'll loose an awful lot of picture definition. Not that mirage is a bad thing, it's a very useful tool.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Another Spotting Scope Question - 05/15/15 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. A camera system is also on the table, so I think I'll look some more in that direction.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum