Texas Hunting Forum

Scope issues after install on new gun

Posted By: Bigfoot

Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 01:55 PM

Put my scope on my new hog/deer gun and it is off.

I have my windage all the way over and it is still shooting about 4 inches left at 100 yards but the windage is maxed out.

I figured I would take it apart and put it back together and see if that does it. So I did.

I am about to go shoot it to see if something just wasnt tight or something.

Any other suggestions before I go shoot it?

PS I know it is not the scope since it was fine on my other rifle
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 02:02 PM

Try reversing your rings.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 02:06 PM

Actually yes. I had them cantered the first time and this time they are both in the same direction.

I am hoping that was it but not sure.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 02:26 PM

Are the rings the style with windage screws, or Weaver style?

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 02:38 PM

not sure they were Vortex Vipers ( I think) for $56 on a picatinny rail

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 02:46 PM

On my way to the range now. Hopefully the problem was that I had the scope rings reversed.

Thanks guys for the help I guess the only way to know if it worked is to go shoot it.

report coming soon
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 02:51 PM

Can't you turn the windage back to zero on some scopes?

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/01/15 07:32 PM

that was it. I had my scope rings on the wrong way.

Now I need to work on my shooting at 200 yards

man was it poor!

1st group at 200 was left

then I clicked over 3 windage clicks

and got the 2nd group

I just could not keep steady. I am sure my poor technique and lack of experience is to blame. It definitely is not the gun since it has a sub MOA guarantee or send it back for a new one.

But I have plenty of time to practice befoe fall gets here.

I still think that the deer or hog was dead on those shots!

Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 03:56 PM

What kind of rest were you using?

Bipod
Bags
Backpack
??
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 04:11 PM

Try this: dry fire twice before each live shot. Also, consider getting your own front and rear shooting bags.
Posted By: Crews

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 04:42 PM

and rule out equipment issues as well...... Hot and/or dirty barrels give you crappy groups.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Crews
dirty barrels give you crappy groups.

That's not always true.

The 7-08 I shot yesterday afternoon had a 100 yard zero that would've hit a dime, and hit top dead center on everything to 800. Barrel hasn't been cleaned in 400 rounds.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: Crews
dirty barrels give you crappy groups.

That's not always true.

The 7-08 I shot yesterday afternoon had a 100 yard zero that would've hit a dime, and hit top dead center on everything to 800. Barrel hasn't been cleaned in 400 rounds.

Sweet! What kind of barrel is it, because I need one of those.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 08:13 PM

I have been on a strict no clean policy for years now. Hasn't effected my hit ratio one bit.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua
I have been on a strict no clean policy for years now. Hasn't effected my hit ratio one bit.

I need to know what kind of barrel you're using too then! haha...

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 09:23 PM

I've been that way for years with Savage, Tikka, Remington, Sako, Obermeyer, Rock Creek, and Bartlein.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 09:45 PM

I need to buy a few sand bags to stabilize and sight it in. I am just resting it on top of wood and I cant get myself to stop shaking enough to stay on target.

I really need to work on my breathing I guess
Posted By: Cast

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 09:50 PM

Yup. You should be able to step away form bench for break and then look thru scope and still be on target. Also make sure you are comfy when down on the gun and scope. Might need adjustable stool. I use a good drummer's stool.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 11:06 PM

this is a cheap range with cheap seats and benches and i cant even sit on the chairs I have to one knee it. Definitely not a comfortable firing position.

I have never shot a bolt action or accurate rifle before either so I am in need of practice. The more I shoot the better I will get like anything.

I will go back to 100 yards and hammer a box out next week and work on it.

That 30-06 is a mule so after a dozen shots or more your shoulder is tingling a little. The limbsaver recoil pad is great but it is still a hammer.

Academy should have some decent sand bags that I will look at so I can get this rifle properly sighted in.

Thanks again

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/02/15 11:22 PM

Clamp a piece of angle iron to the front of the bench. Get a Harris BRM-S 6"-9" bipod. Push the bipod to the angle iron and load into it. I assume you're right handed. Your left hand should be holding a rear bag, lifting the stock, and the weight of your head should be resting on the stock, sandwiching the stock between your cheek and the bag. Your firing hand has no part in stabilizing the rifle, its' only job is trigger control. You should be able to hold perfectly still with your right hand palm down on the bench or the ground.

Slow steady pressure on the trigger at the natual respiratory pause after exhale. Do not hold your breath! Keep squeezing the trigger all the way through recoil and do not let go of it until your scope is back on target. That is follow through.

That's about the best I can do for you without you scheduling a day with me on my range.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/03/15 12:10 AM

thanks Fireman for that little gem there, good to know.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/03/15 01:00 AM

Ees my yob. grin

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/03/15 09:37 PM

thanks for the tips.
Posted By: hermano W

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/03/15 11:48 PM

You can make sand bags out of socks and sand, or put beans,or rice, or feed corn or milo in them. Tie them off good and they work great for stabalizing your rifle. Use several to rest the front of the rifle and one in your left hand under the back of the rifle. You squeeze the one in the back to make elevation changes. When you are ready to purchase something else, try the Triad Tactical wedge in the large size for a rear bag, and the 6-9 inch notched and swiveled Harris bipod for the front. Instead of the angle iron for preloading the bipod, I screw a piece of nylon webbing down to preload the bipod.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/04/15 12:06 AM

Bipod depends on the rifle, some rifles do not play well with them.

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 05/04/15 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Bipod depends on the rifle, some rifles do not play well with them.

Very true. Thanks Kevin I meant to add that caveat.

If a bipod is attached and it causes the forearm to touch the barrel, then that is a no-gp situation. In that case you're back to a large bag under the action of the rifle. Then you will be getting all of the recoil. And it is more tricky to make fine adjustments to the elevation since you have moved the fulcrum closer.
Posted By: pigslayer10

Re: Scope issues after install on new gun - 07/13/15 08:53 PM

I see you got the situation figured out, but I learned how to correct this problem at work the other day. We had a Swavorski rep come in checking out our scope displays and got to talking, he showed us a pretty cool trick to factory zero the scope if it bottoms out like it did. Basically, you take the scope and set the objective lens on a mirror. When you look through the scope you should see two sets of cross-hairs, the black one and then a gray looking one. What you do is then line up the grey with the black so that you only see 1 set of cross-hairs and you're back to factory zero. Pretty cool little trick, even tried it on my other scopes and could see both sets of cross-hairs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum