Texas Hunting Forum

Turrets... capped or exposed?

Posted By: ccreyeder

Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/22/15 04:42 PM

I currently have a Burris MTAC on my "night hunting" rig. I like it well enough, but I am in need of another 1-4 scope anyway so was leaning toward tying out the Vortex 1-4 PST. I likely will be putting which ever one works better with my thermal clip on (that I am still waiting on to come in bang) on my night hunting rifle.

I've never had exposed or "target" turrets. I like the look of them, and would be interested in trying them out. However, is there a concern with them moving off zero accidentally while stalking at night, rubbing on gear, removing from the atv gun rack, etc. Its already a pain in the backside having to deal with deploying my shooting sticks, turning on the MVR, turning on the IR illuminator, etc.. I dont want to have to remember to check my turrets to see if they have moved. If I were planning on using it in the daylight, I would definitely go with the "target turrets" to give them a try, for night time, I wonder if it will be a hassle?

Any thoughts, advice?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/22/15 04:47 PM

How far do you plan to shoot at night? If you're under 200 yards, there's not much need for a turret. Hold .5 Mil for elevation and let er rip.

SS 1-4 and 1-6 give you the option of exposed turrets or turrets under caps. Not sure if the Vortex does this. Someone will know.
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/22/15 04:49 PM

I prefer capped turrets. Especially the windage knob. Several times my turrets have turned from zero. It's a pain, and has cost me a few pigs.

On a 1-4 or 1-6 type scope, just get a good reticle. Zero the rifle, cap the turrets, and use the reticle for sight adjustments.

But you must get some range time using the reticle only. It won't come as natural as centering up the cross hair. Once you have practiced, and have good dope, you will do fine.

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/22/15 05:00 PM

Thanks yall. Yea, forgot to mention that would definitely be shooting under 200 yrds.

I dont shoot long distance enough, day OR night, to have ever NEEDED exposed turrets. Just thought since I was getting a new scope anyway, I might try them. But not at the expense of them moving at not noticing in the dark of night.
Posted By: RifleDude

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/22/15 05:19 PM

Unless you plan to shoot at critters beyond 400 yds or so, exposed tactical/target turrets provide no real advantage to offset their inconvenience, IMO. Once you learn your rifle/ammo's MPBR, you'll probably find a 250 yd zero will cover 90%+ of all the BG hunting situations you'll likely encounter here in TX. Just zero at 250 yards, use bullets with decent BC (over .45 or so G1) and "hold on hair" out to 325-350 yards.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/23/15 01:41 AM

Yes, Viper has a version of their 1-4x24 PST that has capped turrets. I have one and really like it and specifically chose it because of capped turrets...no need for me twisting them on a 1-4 scope. Now for the bad news, the sub tensions are MOA and it is SFP peep

Viper 1-4 PST

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/23/15 02:26 AM

One of these days, Vortex is going to figure out that today's hunters also use the mil-radian system.

They make some decent mid quality hunting scopes, and then mess them up by only offering them with MOA based reticles.

Like this scope for an example. Good hunting magnification, capped turrets, ffp.................moa adjustments and reticle.....
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vort...xlr-moa-reticle
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/24/15 11:23 AM

The only reason for exposed turrets is to adjust for long range shooting.

If you are only shooting out to 200 yards there is no need for exposed turrets and their disadvantages far out weigh any advantage.

On a hunting rifle I'm not adjusting the turrets in the field anyway, I will estimate my range and hold over the appropriate amount.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/24/15 12:00 PM

The worst exposed turret is leupold CDS. it spins very freely. In and out of a zipper bag or rubbing on clothes. Pretty much anything. The only one I have is on a VX-R on my wife's hunting rifle. I have found it off zero many times. It sucks that she has to check it before each shot.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/24/15 12:05 PM

Have you considered the Vortex Strike Eagle? It's cheaper than the Viper, has capped turrets, and is a 1x6.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/strike_eagle_riflescopes

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/24/15 02:51 PM

Thanks for the real world experiences ya'll... that was what I wanted to hear. Decision made... going capped.

Big, I DID consider the strike eagle. It looks promising, but looks like it will still be a while before it is out. Plus, Lapua got me to thinking about not being a beta tester lol

Re: Turrets... capped or exposed? - 04/24/15 05:16 PM

Good idea.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum