Texas Hunting Forum

help me choose my magnification

Posted By: Crews

help me choose my magnification - 03/16/15 11:04 PM

I'm about to purchase a new Nightforce NXS to go on a 308 bolt gun for hunting at ranges from 100-600 yards. The gun is a relatively lightweight unit, and I'd like to stay with that theme on the optics as closely as possible. Fairly positive that Nightforce is the choice for me. I'd like to think I could get away with the 2.5-10x42, but I am worried that I might end up wishing I had gone with the 3.5-15X50, even though it's much bigger and heavier. Opinions? What's the minimum magnification you're comfortable taking medium sized game with at 600 yards?
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/16/15 11:59 PM

Either will do just fine. If weight were a concern, I'd choose the 2.5-10.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 12:30 AM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Yup.

If it were me, I'd say to heck with a few ounces and get the 3-15X

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 12:56 AM

10 ounces heavier, 4 1/2" longer for the 3.5-15x50.....
Posted By: kmon11

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 01:14 AM

X2
Posted By: BigPig

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 01:47 AM

That's a lot of coin for a hunting scope. But I would go 3-15 if you will honestly be looking to kill at 600yds
Posted By: patriot07

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 02:30 AM

Take a look at this thread for through-the-scope images of 10x and 15x magnification on a 600 yard target. There is a significant difference. If you're shooting over 400 yards, I think the extra magnification is worth more than half a pound of weight.

Link
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
That's a lot of coin for a hunting scope. But I would go 3-15 if you will honestly be looking to kill at 600yds
this, and the one below it. 600 is way out there.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

The idea that you need more and more magnification runs rampant on this forum. Of course you can hit a 8 inch target at 600 yards with a 10 power scope. The optics are up to task. Now if he is trying to count points on a deer, that is another story all together.

The better question should be, is the shooter willing to put in the work to make these kind of shots? No amount of magnification will make that shot for you. It always comes back to the basics. Know the exact range, a rangefinder is preferred. Dope it. Make a proper wind call. And finally, execute the fundamentals of shooting.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

The idea that you need more and more magnification runs rampant on this forum. Of course you can hit a 8 inch target at 600 yards with a 10 power scope. The optics are up to task. Now if he is trying to count points on a deer, that is another story all together.

The better question should be, is the shooter willing to put in the work to make these kind of shots? No amount of magnification will make that shot for you. It always comes back to the basics. Know the exact range, a rangefinder is preferred. Dope it. Make a proper wind call. And finally, execute the fundamentals of shooting.

Fully agree with you, not 600 yards but have used scopes set at lower power levels like 2.5 to 6 on yotes at ranges out to a little over 300 yards. Deer sized game my longest shots are a little over 500 yards, all shots made that far were with 3-9 power scopes set on max setting. Have missed one elk that was about 570 yards, the guide with the range finder said it was 490, had killed a pronghorn the day before at 509 so held the same for the elk, scraped hair off brisket and hit meat portion of off side leg on slight quartering away shot. Had I held for 560 that would have been a very nice 5X5 bull.

Have a 2.5X10 scope on the way for a 6.5 Grendel build, plan on having fun with it shooting longer range out to 1k. Figure on game will keep it inside 400 yards. 2.5-10 with good glass like is in Night Force Scopes should be no problem killing deer out to 5 or 600 yards if the shooter and rifle are up to the task of making that length shots. Now like said above it counting points is part of the task then go for higher magnification. I just do not like extra bulk and weight on a light weight hunting rifle.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 11:57 AM

I've always been a 300 yard guy, but it's time to take my game to the next level. I am well aware of what it takes to put rounds on target at 600 yards, and I have a lot of work to do before I'm able to do so. This equipment will be used in conjunction with a pair of Leica HD-B 10x42's. My default is going with as little magnification as I can get away with.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 12:09 PM

Their scopes are to,dang big most the time. If I had to add 4" and half pound I woukd save and he the atacr fi in a normal size or buy another brand with a decent weight. Jmo

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 12:12 PM

10X will certainly do it.

Yesterday evening I did my usual cold bore shot at distance, I picked the 600 yard plate. I shot it on 20X.

Why? The more magnification, the more disciminatory you can be on you hold on target. It also reveals what you are doing wrong to cause a flubbed shot.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 05:06 PM

I'm also kinda considering a Swaro Z5 3.5x18x44... It's only 16oz and I think it might also be a pretty solid repeatable scope. More magnifocation than I need, but it's so light it's a non-issue.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Crews
I'm also kinda considering a Swaro Z5 3.5x18x44... It's only 16oz and I think it might also be a pretty solid repeatable scope. More magnifocation than I need, but it's so light it's a non-issue.

Just remember, all these scopes you have mentioned are sfp. That means the swarovski brh has basically a fixed 18 power reticle, same goes for the other two at 10 and 15x. Anything under max power and those reticles are only useful as a cross hair.

Unless you were considering the nightforce f1, of course.

You are wasting the all important field of view when using these high powered optics. Especially inside 600 yards.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 06:16 PM

6.5x47, I admit that I'm fairly ignorant on this subject so far, but I'm planning on dialing for elevation, and keeping the reticle as clean as possible. Ranging with a reticle is not something I'm interested in just yet. Swaro has a 4W reticle that has 2 moa marks to hold for windage. So I'd only have to zoom all the way in if I was shooting far enough to have to hold for windage. Anything other than that, I can just dial for the elevation.
Posted By: Lead Kisses

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 06:31 PM

Understanding that 600 is the max, how much or your hunting is going to be out that far?

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 06:43 PM

I would say 100-300 is where I take most of my shots. I just want to be proficient out to 600. And I'm almost positive that I wouldn't attempt a shot at a nice deer at that range until I get A LOT of practice. But I do get frequent opportunities at hogs at that distance. It'll be good practice.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 09:07 PM

The last used feature of a Mil or MOA reticle is for ranging. You have to know the size of the target for it to work.

The real use is for elevaion and/ or wind holds. I understand wanting a "clean" reticle, but unfortunately no one is making a Mil reticle for windage only. The windage line is always used, the elevation line is for when you don't have time to dial, which does occur sometimes.
Posted By: dee

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 09:23 PM

Just remember, all these scopes you have mentioned are sfp. That means the swarovski brh has basically a fixed 18 power reticle, same goes for the other two at 10 and 15x. Anything under max power and those reticles are only useful as a cross hair.

Unless you were considering the nightforce f1, of course.

You are wasting the all important field of view when using these high powered optics. Especially inside 600 yards.

They are still useful but the subtensions change. All that needs to be done is take that into consideration. An example would be the 2.5-10 at 10x the subtensions are true at 5x they are 1/2 value.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/17/15 10:42 PM

At 5X the subtensions are double value.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: dee

They are still useful but the subtensions change. All that needs to be done is take that into consideration. An example would be the 2.5-10 at 10x the subtensions are true at 5x they are 1/2 value.

Dee, as noted they are a double value at 5x. You see how easy it is to mess up. Also, you have to actually measure your reticle to see where that double value actually lines up. It may not be exactly where your mag ring says is 5x. This, of course is assuming the 2.5-10 mag range.

This is all a recipe for disaster under stress. For all conditions, outside of a tidy square range, the reticle is only usable at whatever magnification the manufacturers decide is appropriate. Usually this is at max magnification. I actually have one 4-14 sfp scope where the reticle is only accurate at 12 power. Silly, I know.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 01:19 AM

6.5x47, I admit that I'm fairly ignorant on this subject so far, but I'm planning on dialing for elevation, and keeping the reticle as clean as possible. Ranging with a reticle is not something I'm interested in just yet. Swaro has a 4W reticle that has 2 moa marks to hold for windage. So I'd only have to zoom all the way in if I was shooting far enough to have to hold for windage. Anything other than that, I can just dial for the elevation.

Crews, as noted by JG, the last thing you want to do with a reticle is try to range find. Use the leica for that, simple and easy.

Sorry for assuming you wanted the 4w reticle in the swaro. I sometimes forget that there are still people in this world who use moa reticles. To each his own, I just don't see them very often. A fixed 18 power reticle will show excessive mirage at times, and will kill your field of view. I like to have a wide field of view to watch the surrounding environments. This is where a ffp scope really shines.

On the wind. It's always going to be a factor when shooting at 300+, and it seems to always be changing. If nothing else, I'm watching through my scope just to ensure there is no wind. You will come to understand this as you get more range time at distant targets.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 01:57 AM

Exactly right. ^^
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 03:12 AM

I'd probably put a fixed 12x and call it good.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 10:56 AM

Sorry for assuming you wanted the 4w reticle in the swaro. I sometimes forget that there are still people in this world who use moa reticles. To each his own, I just don't see them very often. A fixed 18 power reticle will show excessive mirage at times, and will kill your field of view. I like to have a wide field of view to watch the surrounding environments. This is where a ffp scope really shines.

moa vs mil

I think in terms of inches and yards, and the few friends I have that shoot long range all do it on MOA scale. So I will most probably stick with the MOA system, although it is not as popular with competition and dedicated long range guys.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 12:16 PM

I should have worded it different I was meaning your holds are 1/2 on the subtensions. It came out right in my mind. Lol

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/18/15 03:48 PM

Hahahah! I do that all the time.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/19/15 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: dee
I should have worded it different I was meaning your holds are 1/2 on the subtensions. It came out right in my mind. Lol

There are times I read things I write and wonder if my mind and fingers are connected.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/19/15 02:24 AM

moa vs mil

I think in terms of inches and yards, and the few friends I have that shoot long range all do it on MOA scale. So I will most probably stick with the MOA system, although it is not as popular with competition and dedicated long range guys.

I think in terms of inches and yards, and all I use are Mils. Ranging with a reticle is a rare occasion, that's what laser range finders are for. And you HAVE to know your target size to correctly range it.

Here's the biggest advantage to Mils over MOA, and that is your wind hold. Use a 178 gr. A-max out of a .308 Win around 2700 fps. 5 mph, 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock from the shot.

Yards/ Wind hold in Mils
200 .2
300 .3
400 .4
500 .5
600 .6
700 .7
800 .9
900 1.0

Yards/ Wind hold in MOA
200 3/4
300 1
400 1 1/2
500 2
600 2 1/2
700 3
800 3 1/2
900 4 1/4
1000 5

Which one is easier to remember, without a chart? Which one is easier to multiply due to increase in wind speed. Say add 50% to that wind hold, because the wind is now 7-8 mph? Now the wind has changed to a 1 to 2 o'clock, which is easier to divide?

If all your buddies are in MOA, then I can see the reasoning for going with MOA. But you could also talk them into switching over to Mils. grin Just food for thought.

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/19/15 11:21 AM

I always tried to break my moa holds down into quarters. For me it was much easier to remember and adjust for the wind. Know if I could just read it a good bit better I'd be happy.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: help me choose my magnification - 03/19/15 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

moa vs mil

I think in terms of inches and yards, and all I use are Mils. Ranging with a reticle is a rare occasion, that's what laser range finders are for. And you HAVE to know your target size to correctly range it.

Here's the biggest advantage to Mils over MOA, and that is your wind hold. Use a 178 gr. A-max out of a .308 Win around 2700 fps. 5 mph, 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock from the shot.

Yards/ Wind hold in Mils
200 .2
300 .3
400 .4
500 .5
600 .6
700 .7
800 .9
900 1.0

Yards/ Wind hold in MOA
200 3/4
300 1
400 1 1/2
500 2
600 2 1/2
700 3
800 3 1/2
900 4 1/4
1000 5

Which one is easier to remember, without a chart? Which one is easier to multiply due to increase in wind speed. Say add 50% to that wind hold, because the wind is now 7-8 mph? Now the wind has changed to a 1 to 2 o'clock, which is easier to divide?

If all your buddies are in MOA, then I can see the reasoning for going with MOA. But you could also talk them into switching over to Mils. grin Just food for thought.
That's really a great post. Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum