Texas Hunting Forum

Spotting scope recommendations?

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/16/15 03:17 AM

Anything decent out there under $500-600? Is Brunton any good? Definitely want 20-60; can't afford Swarovski, obviously. Thoughts? Will be used mostly for target shooting.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/16/15 12:44 PM

The $250 Redfield at BPS gets good reviews. I've been looking at it myself, and that unit seems to be a very good value. But if you're willing to spend $500-$600, I'm sure you can get something nicer.

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/16/15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
The $250 Redfield at BPS gets good reviews. I've been looking at it myself, and that unit seems to be a very good value. But if you're willing to spend $500-$600, I'm sure you can get something nicer.
Well, last time I asked about anything under the $300 threshold no one had anything good to say, so I thought I'd go up a range and see what the verdict is. I missed a Leupold Kenai at $515 a while back (they're 800-900 a lot of places) but I see a lot of scopes these days around $500 and thought I'd ask about feed back. Are the Bushnell's in that range any good? Brunton? is the Leupold Ventana worth it or just are there better for the money? Is Alpen a trustworthy brand? These are some of my questions.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/16/15 01:29 PM

I've never owned a spotting scope in that price range. I had an old Redhead that wasn't very good a few years ago, but it was cheap and that's what I expected.

Leupold's spotting scopes were getting a bad rap on another thread a few days ago on here. Sounded like something to steer clear of.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/16/15 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Anything decent out there under $500-600? Is Brunton any good? Definitely want 20-60; can't afford Swarovski, obviously. Thoughts? Will be used mostly for target shooting.

Vortex viper HD

Biggest problem with sub 500 SS is full use of the mag range when you hit the top 10x range.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/17/15 02:00 AM

Check out eBay for a Leupold 12-40x60. It is a very proven design and can be had used in the 500 to 600 range. Note, this is their "Gold Ring" series and is very high quality and used in the military as well. I do understand the lower level Leupolds may be lacking a bit but not the "gold rings".
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/17/15 02:06 AM

The Kowa's get good reviews and cost a lot less than the alpha glass.

I'm thinking of upgrading my Nikon Prostaff for a Kowa Prominar ED 66mm.

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/17/15 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Whiptail

. With eyepiece you're near $1100
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/17/15 11:58 PM

I would look at the viper hd or the razor 11-33. Obv the razor has less magnification but it's light and small
Posted By: Whiptail

Re: Spotting scope recommendations? - 03/19/15 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted By: Whiptail

. With eyepiece you're near $1100

Well Nikon or Alpen might be more in your price range. In hindsight I wish I had paid more.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum