Texas Hunting Forum

Which scope?

Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Which scope? - 03/04/15 04:35 PM

Looking for a scope for an AR in 5.56 and I really want an illuminated reticle, but would also prefer Mil/Mil if it can be had. Unfortunately my budget is limited (so no NF or anything like that). Can I get something for under $500 or do I just need to bite the bullet and get closer to $1000? I've looked at the Leupold AR 3-9 Mod TMR Firedot and also the Trijicon 3-9, and have heard mention of the Vortex 2.5-10x32 FFP. Opinions on those or any others? What is the difference between the Leup AR and VX-R Patrol?

Also, anyone got a vote on which BUIS to go with?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: clandr1

Re: Which scope? - 03/04/15 05:36 PM

Check out the Falcon Menace 4-14. I've had one on my Remington 700 for 6 years and it's worked very well for me. Mil reticle, mil turrets, and has FFP so your reticle is dimensionally accurate no matter what zoom you're at.

For BUIS, I've tried a number of them and find myself going back to Troy battlesights time and time again. They are very robust, and fairly affordable at $160/set.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Which scope? - 03/04/15 05:36 PM

I've heard good things about Primary Arms, although I've never looked through one or used one.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_with_308_p/pa4-14xffp308.htm
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Which scope? - 03/04/15 06:20 PM

Scan Cameraland's website, they always have deals going on demo units.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Which scope? - 03/04/15 06:38 PM

Try, Optics Planet, Sportsman Guide, Bravo Company.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Which scope? - 03/04/15 07:03 PM

CCoker and I recently discussed "the" AR-15 optic. I was thinking about a Viper PST 2.5-10X. He told me he has tried it and it is pretty good. Then he informed me that he and a fellow three gunner have tried several scopes to run on their ARs, once they landed on this one they have not changed for anything else. He tells me that it is pretty much perfect for up close and personal as well as 500 yards. He is supposed to be sending me one to test drive so that I can write a review and decide if I want to keep it. So far, on paper, it is looking like it will probably be exactly what I am looking for.

http://swfa.com/Elite-Tactical-Hunter-C9974.aspx
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Which scope? - 03/05/15 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
CCoker and I recently discussed "the" AR-15 optic. I was thinking about a Viper PST 2.5-10X. He told me he has tried it and it is pretty good. Then he informed me that he and a fellow three gunner have tried several scopes to run on their ARs, once they landed on this one they have not changed for anything else. He tells me that it is pretty much perfect for up close and personal as well as 500 yards. He is supposed to be sending me one to test drive so that I can write a review and decide if I want to keep it. So far, on paper, it is looking like it will probably be exactly what I am looking for.

http://swfa.com/Elite-Tactical-Hunter-C9974.aspx

I have been preaching that scope for months now. It sure does check alot of boxes.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Which scope? - 03/05/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
I've heard good things about Primary Arms, although I've never looked through one or used one.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_4_14X44_FFP_Scope_with_308_p/pa4-14xffp308.htm

I went to their store front in Houston and I was very underwhelmed by their branded scopes. the features were nice (FFP, nice reticles, etc.), but it was hard for me to find a good sight picture and didn't really seem all that clear.
I wanted to like them, but I decided it was not worth it for me.
Posted By: Grendel 6.5

Re: Which scope? - 03/31/15 03:00 AM

I've been impressed with my Leupold VX-R 4-12-50. Best glass short of a US Optics or Nightforce at much lower price. Mine was $650-ish. Buy once, cry once....
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Which scope? - 03/31/15 03:03 AM

I just slapped the pst 2.5-10 on my 18in ar and so far really like it. Good glass and light.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum