Texas Hunting Forum

AR-10 Scope

Posted By: Lab

AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 04:29 PM

I have a brand new Black Rain 308 Ar. I want to get some optics for it but Im not sure what I want. Im gonna be using it for hunting(hog,deer, varmints maybe, ect....) Im just lost on what power I should get and what glass. Ive ran Nikon forver, but want to look for something different this time to open my options to new things.

Any Recommendations?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 04:33 PM

Budget?

How far do you want to hit something?
Posted By: Lab

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 04:44 PM

I try to keep my shooting at 300yds or less. Id like to stay around the $500-$600 range if possible.
Posted By: Earl

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 04:56 PM

I'm in the same boat so to speak. Bought an Armalite AR10 last weekend and looking to put a scope on it. I was hoping to get one from the trader board here but in 2 days I've PM'd two sellers and neither has responded.

Personally I'm leaning towards a package deal from SWFA. A Leopold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40 with Firedot TMR (tactical mil dot reticle), SALT scope mount and 2 PMAGS for $470. You can shave $100 off that if you don't want the Firedot (illuminated dot) and still have a mil dot reticle. And another $100 if you instead opt for a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 Tactical which is essentially the same scope (same US factory even) as the Leopold Mark AR Mod 1...hell maybe I've talked myself into the Redfield.. smile

Earl
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 05:09 PM

I run a SWFA fixed 12x on my LR308. For the price with a larue LT104 mount VZF option you'll be right around your budget.
Posted By: winner

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 05:21 PM

I run a trijicon accupoint 3-9x40 on my AR-10 and can't say enough good things about it. I got a great deal on one here a while back and love the fact that i don't have to worry about batteries when out at night. glass is clear, and target acquisition is great.
Posted By: clandr1

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 06:39 PM

Check out the Bushnell Elite 3200 Tactical Rifle Scope. It is a fixed 10 power scope with a mil dot reticle and mil turret adjustements.

Pro:
You can get as detailed as you want with this optic with a dope sheet and work out to 5-600 yards if you ever wanted
Price is right (approx $20-250)
Decent optic for the price
Great magnification for long distance, precise shooting

Con:
Fixed 10 power magnification won't be good for offhand shots on running pigs (or close shots, within 50 yards or so)
Reticle isn't illuminated, if that matters

I would supplement this with an offset red dot sight of some sort for those up close shots, or shooting at animals on the move.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 06:46 PM

Burris MTAC 1-4.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/26/15 06:51 PM

I picked up a Vortex HS LR 4-16x50 for my LR308. I am thoroughly impressed with the clarity of the glass on it. And the unconditional lifetime warranty on it is hard to beat. It's $600 at Cabelas but I bought mine over Christmas when it was on sale. Cabelas has the regular HS on sale for $419.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/28/15 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Earl
I'm in the same boat so to speak. Bought an Armalite AR10 last weekend and looking to put a scope on it. I was hoping to get one from the trader board here but in 2 days I've PM'd two sellers and neither has responded.

Personally I'm leaning towards a package deal from SWFA. A Leopold Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40 with Firedot TMR (tactical mil dot reticle), SALT scope mount and 2 PMAGS for $470. You can shave $100 off that if you don't want the Firedot (illuminated dot) and still have a mil dot reticle. And another $100 if you instead opt for a Redfield Revolution 3-9x40 Tactical which is essentially the same scope (same US factory even) as the Leopold Mark AR Mod 1...hell maybe I've talked myself into the Redfield.. smile

Earl

I bought that leupold package from swfa last year. Great scope, and the firedot is amazing in low light. I didn't use the salt mount though, I bought a leupold mount to use. That slat mount was just too big and ugly for my taste. I bet it works just fine though
Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: AR-10 Scope - 02/28/15 05:43 PM

I JUST GOT A ar 10 , MOUNTED THE REDFIELD REVOLUTION in 3/9 with the accu reticle for just over 200.00 bucks. very impressed with this scope put same one on my spikes 223, got primary arms on delton 223 , plan on Firedot or V bright on it later on, also just got a vortex 4/12 I have yet to mount very clear glass, so look at both Redfield revolution and the vortex crossfire optics both seem to be good glass at moderate prices,
Posted By: Lead Kisses

Re: AR-10 Scope - 03/01/15 05:43 PM

If 300 yards is your max, at what range is most of your shooting going to be? I would first start looking at magnification. If you're mostly shooting at 100 yards with a 300 yard max, I would personally prefer a 1-6x at the moment. If you're mostly over 200 yards with a 300 yard max, then I might start thinking about a 2.5-10x or 3-9x. Congrats on the gun. I must admit that I am a bit envious!
Posted By: Hog Man1

Re: AR-10 Scope - 08/29/15 12:55 AM

How does your trijicon work during night hunts? Do you also have a light on your gun? I hunt at night for hogs and am interested in the trijicon but not sure how it performs at in darkness.

What's your set up like? For Winner
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: AR-10 Scope - 08/29/15 01:59 PM

Cabelas just had the Vortex 2.5-10x44 SFP PST for $399, would be pretty perfect for your application and would set you up to go much further if you wanted without any changes.
Posted By: shumpertdavid

Re: AR-10 Scope - 08/29/15 06:37 PM

I would think a 3-9 would be good for the yardage you're talking about, I wouldn't go more than 4-16. I have the 4-16 Vortex Viper HS on my 5.56AR and have been pleased with the clarity and function. I believe I gave @ $400 from cameralandny.com. I've had 2 purchases from them and couldn't have asked for better pricing. They have some really nice specials usually.

While I haven't bought from SWFA yet, I've visited their site numerous times and have been very pleased with their pricing and what they offer as well. They always come highly recommended and I hear great things about their customer service.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum