Texas Hunting Forum

New Thermal Scope

Posted By: Monster_Raxx

New Thermal Scope - 02/20/15 05:41 AM

Can't wait to get out in the woods and test it out on some hogs or coyotes. I took a few pics through the scope with my phone just to show. It's a little fuzzy through the phone. Download better pics and video later. It's a FLIR RS32
Posted By: Shawheel

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/21/15 02:18 PM

up
Posted By: Rockfish Dave

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/21/15 02:54 PM

Congratulations!
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/21/15 03:40 PM

While I know you are really going to like thermal, I think you will find the various color iterations are not all that terribly useful for hunting purposes. Most people end up running simple white hot or black hot. However, play around with it, and see what YOU like. I think you will discover there is a lot more going on around you than you realized.
Posted By: Fishman1963

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/04/15 07:56 PM

I ordered my first thermal and waiting on delivery (2.5 weeks). I got a IR Hunter MKII 2.5 x 20 x 35mm 640X480. Post some field pics/vids when you get a chance and let us know how it went! Congrats!
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/04/15 08:34 PM

You will love it! I use this model and night hunting isn't even fair with this thing!
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/04/15 11:30 PM

Prepare to lose a lot of sleep!
Posted By: Mountain Lion

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/07/15 06:03 AM

This is my DREAM scope! But as a medical student I simply cannot afford one. Those yotes won't even see it coming. Excited for you!
Posted By: ccoker

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/07/15 07:16 PM

cool..
I have a FLIR weapon sight coming along with an Eotech handheld
Already have a Pulsar handheld in..
can't wait to get out in the field
Posted By: Fishman1963

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/29/16 05:25 PM

Update: Here are some pics of the new scope and results.

Posted By: Blue Tick

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/29/16 05:42 PM

I am really wanting to get thermal for my pig slayer. Honestly, I'm torn between the weapon mounted sight or just having a thermal monocular for scouting and then having a digital system on the weapon for actual shooting.

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/29/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Blue Tick
I am really wanting to get thermal for my pig slayer. Honestly, I'm torn between the weapon mounted sight or just having a thermal monocular for scouting and then having a digital system on the weapon for actual shooting.

I have tried both set-ups, and the thermal scope is the way to go, IMO. I run a FLIR RS32 1x-5x thermal scope, and it works great for night hunting. The issue I have with a night vision set up is the contrast, or clarity. If you are out in an open field hunting, the NV will work fine, since there is not other "clutter" effecting it. But when you get in the brush and woods, the clarity is diminished. We used a thermal spotter to find a rabbit, and I had trouble shooting the rabbit using NV (PVS22 weapon mounted with IR illumination), but would transition back to the thermal spotter to find the rabbit again. It was behind some brush, and I could not "see" the rabbit with the NV. But with the thermal, it was glowing and easily visible. After these issues, with several other similar encounters, the thermal is the way to go. I have been using my FLIR RS32 with great success and easily and quickly engage targets at night. I can see field mice running around with the thermal, it is that sensitive.
Posted By: Blue Tick

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/29/16 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

I have tried both set-ups, and the thermal scope is the way to go, IMO. I run a FLIR RS32 1x-5x thermal scope, and it works great for night hunting. The issue I have with a night vision set up is the contrast, or clarity. If you are out in an open field hunting, the NV will work fine, since there is not other "clutter" effecting it. But when you get in the brush and woods, the clarity is diminished. We used a thermal spotter to find a rabbit, and I had trouble shooting the rabbit using NV (PVS22 weapon mounted with IR illumination), but would transition back to the thermal spotter to find the rabbit again. It was behind some brush, and I could not "see" the rabbit with the NV. But with the thermal, it was glowing and easily visible. After these issues, with several other similar encounters, the thermal is the way to go. I have been using my FLIR RS32 with great success and easily and quickly engage targets at night. I can see field mice running around with the thermal, it is that sensitive.

The FLIR line is 1 that I have been looking at as well as the Pulsar stuff and the Armasight Predator I think it is. I've been told ATN has some new stuff coming out in April that is supposed to be priced really well. How did you go about sighting your setup in? Is it on a QD mount, if so, can you take on and off and still keep your 0?
Posted By: ddr225

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/29/16 08:35 PM

IMO having a weapon mount is the way to go but its pure joy to have a handheld too for scouting. I killed many big lone boars from driving around scouting with the handheld. With that said, I have both for sale! grin

Re: New Thermal Scope - 02/29/16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

The FLIR line is 1 that I have been looking at as well as the Pulsar stuff and the Armasight Predator I think it is. I've been told ATN has some new stuff coming out in April that is supposed to be priced really well. How did you go about sighting your setup in? Is it on a QD mount, if so, can you take on and off and still keep your 0?

Sighting it in took me 2 shots last time I zero'd the scope, and I did it in the dark. On my AR-15 in 300 blk out, I pulled the bolt carrier out, and firmly held the rifle in place. I looked through the bore at 25 yards and I centered up the digital cross hairs. Once I got it where I thought was close, I fired 1 round. I hit high left by about 1.5", made an adjustment based on that, moved back to 50 yards, and fired 1 more round. It hit slightly left, and elevation was perfect, made one click right, and it was good.

The FLIR is a QD type mount. I have not taken it off and remounted it to see if it holds zero, but I want to try it.
Posted By: aggiegolfer09

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/01/16 02:14 AM

nice!
Posted By: fr3db3ar

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/02/16 02:06 AM

I'm running a HD38A for scanning and just received my XD50A for shooting. I was running a Pulsar N850 or a Photon 4.6 or an X-sight for shooting but got tired as the above poster of seeing with the scanner and being unable to locate with NV. The downside is that you can't necessarily see all the obstructions with the thermal and still may not be able to hit your target if they are behind some brush.

That being said I expect my coyote success to increase without throwing at minimum the glow of IR that has pushed some away.

I don't know what ATN's new thermal will be like but I hope it's not as buggy as the X-sight has seemed to be.
Posted By: Pappydap

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/11/16 03:21 AM

I took my Thor off put it back on after using it as spotter a couple days later and was surprised but it held zero. Can't say the same for the clip on thermal I had.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: New Thermal Scope - 03/11/16 01:53 PM

Congrats on your new thermal. You may never hunt during the day again and if you do you'll prolly use thermal. It's a whole new world...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum