Texas Hunting Forum

Optic snob question

Posted By: 257.Bob

Optic snob question - 02/20/15 01:51 AM

Hey guys,
I'd love to get a S&B but that simply isn't in the cards. I've got a custom rifle getting built...and am looking to put some nice glass on it. I've a got a new Meopta Meopro laying around (but don't like how close the posts are on the #4). I'm leaning towards the Swaro Z3 or the Zeiss HD5 (both #4's) and for only a couple hundred more could get a Zeiss Duralyt).

What say the experts?
Posted By: Precision_Shooter

Re: Optic snob question - 02/20/15 02:02 AM

I would get a Leupold VX6 if it were me with the firedot 4 reticle.
Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: Optic snob question - 02/20/15 02:24 AM

I've got the vx6 and SB scopes... In my opinion... For the money...

The nightforce Atacr or the vortex razor gen 2 are the top choices.

The SB is just flat out gotten to expensive... $4k is a lot of money and is the glass great, yes! But it's not much better than the NF ATACR or Gen razor gen 2

With that said.. If you don't plan on doing long range work. The vx6 is a great optic.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Optic snob question - 02/20/15 02:57 AM

What do you plan on doing with this build?

Re: Optic snob question - 02/20/15 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
What do you plan on doing with this build?

Yeah, need to know this, but with your reticle choice I assumed it wasn't for long range shooting but more for hunting... ?
Posted By: 257.Bob

Re: Optic snob question - 02/20/15 03:02 AM

It's a hunting rifle only. Occasional range work, but the scope and rifle are purely a hunting rig.

Re: Optic snob question - 02/20/15 11:38 AM

Ok, then I stand by my previous suggestion. Happy Hunting
Posted By: theeyeguy

Re: Optic snob question - 02/21/15 05:13 AM

For hunting only, look at the VX-6 and don't look back. If you want to work with a BDC of some sort, something from Vortex may be a better bet. Night Force has their SFP hunter models that are pretty slick, as well.
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Optic snob question - 02/24/15 12:07 AM

I have 2 Z3's and can't imagine needing anymore scope. If weight is a consideration, be sure to eyeball the HD5 numbers. The bigger ones are pretty heavy.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum