Texas Hunting Forum

Eye vision haloing

Posted By: ghostlight

Eye vision haloing - 02/15/15 02:39 AM

I had the laser vision correction surgery 5 years ago and at night i suffer with haloing from lights. I purchased a red AimPoint for my AR and the red dot halos into 3 dots like a triangle that covers a 8" target at 100 yards. my question is does anybody else on our forum have the haloing problem and is the any eyewear that may correct it.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/15/15 05:01 AM

If you are in the Dallas area, you need to go see Texas Cornea Assc's, these are the guys that fix Lasic Issues, and all the tough to fix Eye Problems and take referrals from all over the US and several foreign countries....like I've had.

Dr Henry Gellender, the Sr Partner on Tx Cornea's staff of Dr's Gellender, Beebe & Brad Bowen, did my 2nd Cornea Graft last summer - and the 1st one + a lense implant and globe reconstruction in Spring 2000 after a home accident left me with a ruptered globe. FWIW the Dallas VA Cornea doc's, from UTSW's Cornea Dept where Dr Wayne Bowen - no relation to Brad Bowen @ Tx Cornea - is the Dept head, and gave me a less than 50% chance of a new cornea being the solution....Cornea Grafts only last about 10-15 years.

Check it out, but don't wait, like my wife has. to have a simple Laser Cleaning of her artificial lense replacements from typical old folks cataracts...and can do whatever else it takes.
Ron

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/15/15 08:44 PM

Wow, thanks for the detailed info. I have copied and pasted this in my notes.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/17/15 08:20 PM

I have a halo issue with my right eye but its not from surgery. Any ideas? My last doc called it an 'observation' and said there was nothing he could do.
Posted By: theeyeguy

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/18/15 06:30 PM

Halos and ghosting are two of the most common and most minimalized by doctors complications from any sort of refractive surgery. Full disclosure, I worked for optometrists and ophthalmologists for more than a decade before opening my gun and optics store. I saw this from the doctors' side and can tell you, there is a reason I never got it done even though I would have gotten it for next to nothing.

One thing to keep in mind, the only way to "fix" any of this is with... more surgery. This also means that it could get worse when they go back in. Wherever you are, find the best in the area and go to them and only them. If you're in Houston or College Station, I can tell you exactly where to go. Rest of the state, just do your homework. The reason these halos and ghosts show up have to do with how the cornea "heals" itself over the years. What ends up happening is refractive surgery is literally damaging the eye but doing so in a planned way. What ends up happening though, is that over the years, the eye tries to repair and accomodate the "healing" that occurs after. It induces irregularities in the cornea leading to the fun problems.

Before going into surgery, get a normal eye exam and see if that helps. In many cases, you'll find the problems are diminished greatly. Again, the ghosting is from an irregularity in the cornea so if you can correct the light entering your eye, it can help. It's not a guarantee, however. When you do that and if they find a minimal Rx, get the cheapest lenses possible with an antireflective coating. You aren't worried about getting something nice yet, just something that will be a proof of concept. If that works, then invest in something nicer/more durable but be certain to get the anti reflective coating. I'd also steer you into either CR39 or trivex as well. Polycarbonate, the industry standard material, has bad optics. CR39 is cheaper and much clearer. Trivex is usually pretty close in price to poly and also much clearer.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/18/15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: theeyeguy

Before going into surgery, get a normal eye exam and see if that helps. In many cases, you'll find the problems are diminished greatly. Again, the ghosting is from an irregularity in the cornea so if you can correct the light entering your eye, it can help.

Glasses may really help, but you may also need to consider a RGP contact lens which will mask the irregularities in your cornea and may eliminate the halos/ghosting.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/18/15 10:52 PM

This is all good advice, and being an eye surgeon that does this laser stuff, I agree with most of the advice on here (not saying I disagree with any of it either). Having said that, I would recommend that a simple eye exam may help diagnose and solve the problem the OP is having. Sounds like there is a little refractive error left over from the original lasik or maybe some has shown back up. The most common cause of glare/haloing at night in a young to middle aged person is refractive error (near/far-sightedness and astigmatism). In the older, more physically mature (notice I didn't use the blanket term "mature" there cheers ) people the most common cause of halo/glare is cataract formation.

If it were me, I would go see a laser vision center, depending on where you are in texas I could give you some names if you want, as they would be the most able to help, and at least diagnose the problem you are having. A regular optometrist may not have the equipment available to diagnose fully and a regular ophthalmologist may not have enough experience with lasik/lasik issues to fully vet out the problem.

There is no reason for a person to have the vision you are describing, and there is almost always a reason for this, whether it is fixable without surgery is another story. But I can tell you I would rather have a lasik enhancement or a cataract procedure done than a corneal transplant.
Posted By: theeyeguy

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/19/15 08:45 PM

And a step further, if you try or have tried the RGPs and just can't get used to them, there are hybrid contacts on the market that have a hard lens core with a soft lens skirt. Expensive but very functional for some people.

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/21/15 02:08 AM

Wow, thanks for all the input. I will go visit my Dr. that performed my surgery. I hope to be able to resolve without another surgery however it may come to that.
Posted By: Phlash

Re: Eye vision haloing - 02/28/15 01:47 AM

After getting to the point of needing my cataracts addressed, my eye surgeon and I discussed my concerns with shooting with both iron sights and scopes. I had read on several forums about shooters no longer being able to see the rear pistol or rifle sights when having the mono-vision lenses implanted. I was also concerned with halos while driving at night with the multi-focal lenses. He suggested an accomodating lens, which works more like your natural lenses. I had my lenses replaced last November and December (2 weeks apart). One was a Trulign toric lens that corrected my astigmatism and the other was a Crystalens, both lenses were made by Bosch and Lomb. I must say that I have been very satisfied and have no issues seeing my rear sights or using a scope. My night vision hasn't been this good since I was 40. I don't have any issues with halos with oncoming headlights and can see deer on the highway much clearer now. Colors really do pop and whites are no longer a yellowish gray. These lenses are not the same as having young eyes. I have to have good sunglasses in bright sunlight and I am functional with my smartphone and can read a newspaper in good light, but with tiny print or in poor lighting I have to use my readers. A month after the surgical procedures, my eye tests showed I was seeing 20-20. All-in-all I am very pleased and think the additional cost for the accomodating lenses was worth it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum