Texas Hunting Forum

Best Rangefinder "Take 2"

Posted By: Lone Ranger

Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 02/14/15 08:38 PM

Ok guys, my last post about the Best Rangefinder got a little off topic, so I am going to be a little more specific.

The rangefinder I am looking for will be used strictly for hunting and I will not be shooting long range. I have taken a nice bull elk at 320 yards and my longest whitetail shot has been 307 yards, so I don't think I will be shooting any further than that.

That being said, I am looking for the best rangefinder for out to about 600 yards or so. I will be primarily using it for rifle and handgun hunting, but would like to use it for bowhunting as well, so I would like that feature on it too.

I will also extend my price category up to about $800 if it takes that much to get a really good one.

I currently have an older model Leupold RXII, but it is a little complicated to use and I am sure that technology has made a lot of changes since I got it several years ago.

Leica may still be the best, such as the 1600B, but as I said before I will not be doing really long range shooting like 800 yards and over. Is the Leica still the best for short to medium range or is there another brand or model that would be better to fit my requirements. How about the Leica 1000R? Is it really worth the extra $200 to get the 1600B or not.

Thanks again for all the info and advice. I will definitely take a look at all your recommendations.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 02/14/15 09:39 PM

Lecia'so Optics will be better then the Vortex or Luppy. All three are great choices.

If you take lecia out, vortex vs luppy comes down to what display and options you like best(they are that close). Lecia is still better optics and first button push hits, but at your specified ranges I think it comes down to which options suit you better.

If you go with lecia I'd go with the 1600 just because it will appeal more resale value wise if you ever want to step to something else. But either series will get the job done.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 02/15/15 02:29 AM

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. I will probably go ahead and get the 1600.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 02/17/15 02:26 AM

1600B has a stellar record with me. It just works.
Posted By: southern_fowler

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 02/17/15 06:37 PM

Another vote for Leica
Posted By: usdrscott

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/01/15 10:08 PM

Swarovski Laser Guide
Posted By: passthru

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/01/15 10:52 PM

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/...er-rangefinder/

I got this one last year and it has performed well for me out over 600 yards.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/01/15 11:33 PM

Leica
Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/02/15 01:20 AM

zeiss t-prf
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/02/15 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: usdrscott
Swarovski Laser Guide

What I have used for 4 years. Terrific glass, reticle is too big.
Posted By: usdrscott

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/02/15 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: usdrscott
Swarovski Laser Guide

What I have used for 4 years. Terrific glass, reticle is too big.
found it easier to range than a leica or leupold a 800 yards but agree big orange on this one
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Best Rangefinder "Take 2" - 03/03/15 07:50 PM

Bushnell's being doing a great job on rangefinders over the last few years.
I did a review on the ARC1600 Ranging binos about 3-4 years ago and they worked VERY well.
The binos has a blue tint I didn't care for but they changed that the next year.

UPS just dropped off the ARC 1 mile tactical.
Initial impressions are very good. Glass is clear edge to edge and looks very sharp.
It handles nice and would function as a 7x spotter very well.

Need to get out and do some testing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum