Texas Hunting Forum

Tough scopes and mounts - whose?

Posted By: 603Country

Tough scopes and mounts - whose? - 01/24/15 07:27 PM

We went to see American Sniper the other day, then went home and rented Lone Survivor. In the latter movie, during the intense combat scenes, the guys jumped (twice) off of steep rocky ledges, then they recovered their weapons and kept fighting. The scoped rifles clattered down steep rocky slopes, and were still usable and accurate. No scope and mounts that I have would have taken that abuse and still been functional and/or accurate. Granted, it was a movie, but it was based on reality. So...my question is will military spec scopes and mounts actually take that level of abuse and still be accurate? Can any of you speak from a position of knowledge on this?
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Tough scopes and mounts - whose? - 01/24/15 07:54 PM

I saw this article the other day which gives you the specs of Chris Kyle's rifles. Looks like he uses NightForce stuff.

Article Here
Posted By: dredd

Re: Tough scopes and mounts - whose? - 01/24/15 08:31 PM

I have a SWFA SS20 in the Burris Xtreme Tactical Rings mounted on a 24" Bull Barrel 308 AR Platform.

The rifle is a bit of a boat anchor.

It got knocked out of a gun rack and fell more than four feet to the concrete floor.

Point of impact moved less than a 1/2" to the left at 100 yards.

I don't know if that would be rated Good or Bad???

I was expecting a lot worse.
Posted By: headhunter54

Re: Tough scopes and mounts - whose? - 01/24/15 08:55 PM

When Brandon Webb took over the SEAL sniper school he equipped the rifles with Nightforce scopes. There is a reason a combat veteran chose that brand, durability and repeatability.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum