Texas Hunting Forum

Any experience with SWFA Scopes?

Posted By: Bbear

Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/09/15 03:13 PM

Are they worth the $$? Thinking of grabbing one to try out. What other brands would be comparable to them?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/09/15 06:16 PM

Get it!

I have worked the crap out of an SS 5-20 HD. Turrets track properly, holds zero, returns to zero, great glass. There are scopes that may be higher quality, by a small margin, and they clost significantly more money. Another to consider is a Vortex Viper PST. Close on quality, less on the money. I also have a Viper PST 6-24 FFP. And if I had to pick one or the other, it would be the SS.
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/09/15 06:22 PM

I have the SWFA fixed 16x on my 308. The glass is very clear and the scope is solid - no complaints with the scope and there wasn't anything of quality in the same price range ($300)

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/09/15 06:48 PM

I won their Super Sniper 3-9x44 mil/mil scope and I love the scope. It's one of my go to for my AR's.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/09/15 08:14 PM

my 12x is super clear compared to my vortex pst..
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/09/15 08:19 PM

I have a couple of the new 1-4 SS one on a 300BO and just put one on my 3Gun AR and they seem to be a decent scope.

The Black-out has accounted for several pigs over the last week or so.

I let a friends son shoot this hog using that particular gun/scope combo...first time he ever fired an AR.

Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/10/15 12:40 AM

I love all the SWFA scopes I've had. I had a 10x on my POF and now run a 12x on my 308 gas gun. I just acquired a 1-4x for my SBR love it so far. Still haven't got to go shoot it yet though. Next one will be the 3-15 for my 308.

Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/10/15 04:54 AM

Less than impressed with the ss 3-9 I had.

The 3-9 has a real good feature set for an SPR or hunting type rifle. My biggest gripes were with the execution and quality.

Looking back, I should have tried the leupold vx-3 2.5-8 with a custom shop tmr reticle. Would have cost me about the same.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/10/15 05:48 PM

I have an SS 3-9x44. It has moved around on a few different rifles. The rifles may have come and gone, but the scope is staying. It's on a 300blk at the moment. I'm thinking about a 10x or 12x for my .308 bolt action.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/10/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 6.5x47Lapua

The 3-9 has a real good feature set for an SPR or hunting type rifle. My biggest gripes were with the execution and quality.

Looking back, I should have tried the leupold vx-3 2.5-8 with a custom shop tmr reticle. Would have cost me about the same.

You went against the grain flame

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/10/15 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

You went against the grain flame

I usually do. Lefties are an odd bunch.

I bought into all the hype of the SS line of scopes. In the end, I was left wanting.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/10/15 11:22 PM

I'm curious what you mean by execution and quality. What did it not do, or what did it lack, that you were hoping for?

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/11/15 02:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

I'm curious what you mean by execution and quality. What did it not do, or what did it lack, that you were hoping for?

A few pro's and cons about the ss 3-9.

Pro's:
good simple mag range
light weight
it never failed a tracking test

Con's:
the scope is too long. When other companies are coming out with scopes that are 3-18 and 3-21 and are shorter than your 3-9, it would seem the length was an afterthought.

The glass in mine had such bad CA, that it appeared you were seeing double. Awful glass.

The mag range adjustment is the exact same size as the ocular. This means I couldn't tell the difference between the ocular and the mag ring. A switchview is a must if you plan on dialing back and forth on the magnification. Also, the mag range adjustment was soo stiff that I had to brace myself heavily on the rifle to change the mag. It was either that, or I had to grip the scope with two hands to change the magnification.

They should offer the covered knobs from the 1-6 on this scope. I capped windage knob would be a blessing.

The revolution indicator under the elevation knob is just glued into place. It came loose one day, and I had to super glue it back into place.

I will say this, SWFA warranted my scope for these issues. They gave me a brand one. I sold the brand new replacement scope at a considerable loss. Lesson learned.

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/11/15 01:38 PM

Very thorough and well written review. I agree that on some of their scopes it is hard to turn the magnification ring.

If you get the chance to use a 5-20 HD, you should. It is their top of the line scope. I bet you would be impressed by that model.

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/11/15 02:29 PM

JG, do you use a switchview on the 5-20?

I wouldn't mind using the 5-20, but I am real hesitant after dealing with the shortcomings of the 3-9.

Re: Any experience with SWFA Scopes? - 01/11/15 04:21 PM

I do use one. My ring has always been easy to turn though. I installed it to shave a couple fractions of a second off.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum