Texas Hunting Forum

Low Power Scope ?

Posted By: DannyB

Low Power Scope ? - 01/04/15 03:37 PM

I have been kicking around the idea of a low power scope for a Mini-14, such as a 1x4 or similar. Is there any particular reason that a scope that is labeled "shotgun", or even a pistol scope, would't work as long as getting a sight picture is accomplished? I would think center is center.

I'm curious about something else as well. I have used red dot sights for a long time and like being being able to have both eyes open when first acquiring a target. Is a red dot considered a 1x ?,-- Meaning if I have a 1x4, and if it is set on 1x, would you be able to pick up a target with both eyes open?

On a red dot when I have both eyes open I sort of blur out the tube and only see the dot. It is almost like some sort of "heads up display".
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Low Power Scope ? - 01/04/15 04:26 PM

Parallax on shotgun and black powder scopes is usually set to 75 yards. Parallax on .22 scopes is usually set to 25 or 50 yards. I'm not sure where most handgun scopes are set, but it will be a 100 yards or less, except for the varmint / target scopes. The true LER scopes will be unusable on your rifle; look for the IER models. And yes, you can keep both eyes open when using the low power scopes; I do it all the time with my 1x.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum