Texas Hunting Forum

next NV question

Posted By: angler management

next NV question - 12/28/14 05:25 AM

So I'm all set up with the photon xt. Got my primos trigger stick in one hand, rifle & backpack are slung and I'm walking. Stop, unsling rifle, set on trigger stick and scan the field. See nothing. Walk 200 yards. Repeat. It's fun, but now I think I would like to have a monocular. Seems like it would be much easier with one.

Haven't done much research, but I've done enough to discover few places online will tell you up front how far and clear you can see.

How many of you guys use one and can I get a decent one for under $500? I would think being able to see out to 150-200 yards would get the job done.
Posted By: clandr1

Re: next NV question - 12/31/14 07:36 PM

I think a D300 (Gen 2+) would be about as low grade as you'd want to go. The price on them is anywhere from $1,400-$2,000 depending on where and how you buy, and at that price I think you'd be better off biting the bullet and getting a PVS-14 (Gen 3) for $2,000-$2,500.

I just don't think you'll be able to buy anything to accomplish 150-200 yard identification in your stated budget.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: next NV question - 12/31/14 10:16 PM

You might want to take a look at the Pulsar 750 digital unit. That can be purchased for about $500. You'll probably need additional external illumination, but that's not expensive. Look at the Youtube videos and read the reviews online before you buy. I, too, bought a weapon sight and discovered that sweeping an area with a 12-15 lb rifle got old pretty quickly, even in areas where it was safe.
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: next NV question - 12/31/14 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
You might want to take a look at the Pulsar 750 digital unit. That can be purchased for about $500. You'll probably need additional external illumination, but that's not expensive. Look at the Youtube videos and read the reviews online before you buy. I, too, bought a weapon sight and discovered that sweeping an area with a 12-15 lb rifle got old pretty quickly, even in areas where it was safe.

You are mistaken the n750 at best is $1,500
Posted By: mustanger

Re: next NV question - 12/31/14 10:40 PM

save your money till you can buy a thermal hand held like the Flir PS24 or Ps32. Makes a HUGE difference in your ability to spot critters. Well worth saving for. Flri PS24's are available on Amazon for 1516 and change.

Re: next NV question - 01/01/15 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: cyberpyrot

Not the weapon sight, the monocular.

http://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-Recon-Digit...ords=pulsar+750
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: next NV question - 01/01/15 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Originally Posted By: cyberpyrot

Not the weapon sight, the monocular.

http://www.amazon.com/Pulsar-Recon-Digit...ords=pulsar+750

Ah well I feel like a dick

Re: next NV question - 01/01/15 03:11 AM

LOL! No worries. It's all good. We've all been an accidental Richard a time or two.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: next NV question - 01/01/15 06:19 AM

I have a Flir E4 modified and it's about as good as you can get for under a grand. It's a little awkward to carry but works great.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: next NV question - 01/01/15 06:44 PM

I would save for a thermal monocular. There is so much that you miss with digital or tube monoculars. My choice would be the Pulsars over the FLIR's. I have an ATN OTIS-X 6X thermal monocular. Lots of mag, but you can ID way out there.
Posted By: MDMORROW

Re: next NV question - 01/01/15 07:38 PM

x2 on the thermal. And the pulsar units wipe the floor with the flir PS line. Its not even a comparison.
Posted By: angler management

Re: next NV question - 01/02/15 04:55 AM

Thanks, guys. Looks like pulsar is the route I'm gonna take.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum