Texas Hunting Forum

Ideas for illuminated reticle scope

Posted By: DocHorton

Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 08:15 AM

I'm looking at buying an illuminated reticle scope for my new 300 Blackout SBR....I would like to stay around $300 if possible and am leaning towards a 3-9x. Any ideas on what would be the best buy in that price range or maybe a little more?

Thanks!
Posted By: 300_WizzM

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 10:51 AM

In my experience the cheaper illuminated recticles are crap. I have tried several.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 01:32 PM

I have one each of these that work pretty well.
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?co...rodTitle=Burris Refurbished 3.5-10x50 Fullfield 30 European Riflescope 3P#4 LRS Electro-Dot Reticle Matte
http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?co...rodTitle=Burris Refurbished 3-9x40 Fullfield II LRS Riflescope Ballistic Plex LRS Reticle Matte
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 02:39 PM

Most cheap ones are too bright for use in real low light conditions.
I would suggest the best glass you can swing and a bold reticle like a #4

What power range are you looking for?

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 10:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 300_WizzM
In my experience the cheaper illuminated recticles are crap. I have tried several.

So what are your suggestions? It doesn't help me much to say they are all crap and then not give any examples.

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ccoker
Most cheap ones are too bright for use in real low light conditions.
I would suggest the best glass you can swing and a bold reticle like a #4

What power range are you looking for?

Power range 3-9x ish. I can spend as much as I want but it's hard for me to justify a $1500 scope to use a few times a year. I can spend more if that's what it takes to buy a good one, but I have nothing to compare them against. I will use it for night time hunting with a kill light and short range deer or varmint hunting.

At what price range are they no longer considered "cheap'? To me, $300-400 isn't "cheap" but to others it may be. I'm looking more for examples of what to buy or what others have used that have worked rather than "all cheap scopes are crap". I have plenty of $300 scopes and to me they all work great. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 10:51 PM

VX-R is the cheapest one I would consider. It's excellent in low light and has 8 intensity levels for the tiny fire dot. Allowing full dark to full daytime use without causing your pupil to constrict and lose your night vision. I have 2 and love them. They are $499 at SWFA. I'm now looking at a VX-6 with the same firedot.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 10:53 PM

I just bought a Millet 1-4x with a doughnut illuminated reticle. It serves my purpose just fine. They are usually $199 but Natchez had it on sale for $149 and I got it to put on an AR for pigs. If you look real hard you can probably stumble across a Leupold 3-9x 40mm for just under $500.
Posted By: C'mere

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/16/14 11:24 PM

This is in your range, I don't have experience with it though.
http://www.adorama.com/BUR200322.html?utm_term=Other&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=ad
Posted By: Jhop

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 01:41 AM

I'm very happy with a Leopold VX-3 3.5-10x50 with 30mm tube. Mine has a German number 4 reticle with a illuminated dot. You can turn it down very low for night time varmint/pig hunting with red or green lights or turn it up to see it during the day. Although I don't use the illumination during the day
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 03:28 AM

I wish my Vortex Viper 4-16 PST had an illuminated dot instead of the lit up MRAD it has. It has several intensity level choices, but the lowest level is too bright. It's way too lit up and busy with numbers and lines. Luckily, the scope itself gets enough light that I can use the crosshairs till late.

That Leupold TMR with the illuminated dot might be just the thing I'd want, but that's a guess. I'm not buying anymore darn scopes for a while.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 12:02 PM

I will second the VXR recomendation.
Very nice glass too...
Posted By: themoonrulz

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 12:42 PM

the vortex crossfire II is a decent scope for the money. I have the 3x9x50 cost me a little over 200$

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 07:48 PM

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 09:02 PM

1x4 or 2x7 vxr or maybe something else small in the leopold family with the lighted dot. I'm seeing way tomany suggestions of scopes that would be way to long on an sbr
Posted By: usdrscott

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 10:10 PM

Leupolds VX R line has some nice options base on the magnification you are looking at here is a link to there 3-9 x 40 CDS you can get a free turret for your caliber http://www.leupold.com/reticles/firedot-duplex-illuminated/

price at around $550 ...Vortex makes a crossfire in your price range MSRP $239 but depends what you are trying to do it could be all you need or mispent money

In agreement with brother in law a nice 1.25 - 4x20 vxr patrol
Posted By: DavidK

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/17/14 10:19 PM

Weaver Classic Extreme from Natchez
Posted By: booradley

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/20/14 09:50 PM

I have a VX-R 2-7. It is pretty decent but I can see better in low light with my MeoPro and Conquest that have German #4 reticles. On Monday I ordered a VX-3 1.75-6 with heavy duplex. All of the above mentioned scopes cost more than your stated amount.

Here is a link to a scope that has an IR that I'm interested in trying out.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/hawke_endurance_3-9x40.html
Posted By: ccreyeder

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/21/14 12:42 AM

I use a burris mtac 1-4 illuminated on my 300 blackout hog gun. Battery life is great, multiple illumination levels, circle with dot reticle.. I've been happy with it. If I recall it was about $300-400
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/21/14 06:30 AM

I just purchased a Leupold Mark AR in 1-4 with a FireDot SPR. They make it in a 3-9 too. Haven't shot it yet but the quality of the glass is pretty dang good for the price. I really like it so far just from looking around with it at the house.
Posted By: Nite Stalker

Re: Ideas for illuminated reticle scope - 11/30/14 03:16 AM

VX R 4X12X50 FireDot works really well! Around $700.00
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum