Texas Hunting Forum

Need NV scope for Parker crossbow

Posted By: Microsktr

Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/08/14 01:58 PM

Hello everyone! I've been trying to hunt the hogs that have been raiding my deer feeder at night for weeks now, and I'm out of ideas. The hogs I'm hunting are suburban hogs, and they are extremely smart and savvy. Kill Lights, green lens flashlights, hog traps, you name it...nothing works anymore. I've decided the only way I'm going to have a chance against them is to get an NV scope for my Parker crossbow. However, I don't know anything about what is good in NV for this purpose. I need one that will allow me to hunt deer during the day, then switch over to NV once it gets dark so I can hunt hogs. I don't need anything that will view all that far...the area around the feeder is heavily wooded, so I only get a 50-yard shot at most. Can't afford to spend too much money either...lost my job last week, and I'm trying to find another one. Appreciate any info on a good crossbow NV scope that is affordable. aim
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/08/14 03:44 PM

For $41 you can buy a 100 lumen MicroSolar light on Amazon that will provide plenty of shooting light. The hogs will be scared away by the light for a bit, but will eventually get used to it. I'd put one out, wait two or three weeks and then give it a shot.

There's nothing cheap about decent NV, and most of it is way too bulky to mount on a crossbow.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/09/14 02:26 AM

Sightmark XT Digital Day/Night scope is your Huckleberry.
Posted By: Harley7892

Re: Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/10/14 01:54 AM

I've seen several flashlights at Academy, red, green and white (comes with a barrel mount). Bought the green put on a rifle good light out to 75 yd. with scope. Was around $30-40. Not sure how to mount to crossbow but sure it could get figured out.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/10/14 01:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Microsktr
Hello everyone! I've been trying to hunt the hogs that have been raiding my deer feeder at night for weeks now, and I'm out of ideas. The hogs I'm hunting are suburban hogs, and they are extremely smart and savvy. Kill Lights, green lens flashlights, hog traps, you name it...nothing works anymore. I've decided the only way I'm going to have a chance against them is to get an NV scope for my Parker crossbow. However, I don't know anything about what is good in NV for this purpose. I need one that will allow me to hunt deer during the day, then switch over to NV once it gets dark so I can hunt hogs. I don't need anything that will view all that far...the area around the feeder is heavily wooded, so I only get a 50-yard shot at most. Can't afford to spend too much money either...lost my job last week, and I'm trying to find another one. Appreciate any info on a good crossbow NV scope that is affordable. aim

Are these animals within the Floresville City limits or are they in a rural subdivision?
Are they causing depredation or is this a measure you are doing for your own benefit?

I will be in Nixon this morning and may have to make another trip up that way in 2 weeks.
If I make a second trip, I would be glad to meet with you and tell you several things that can be done, especially if they are causing depredation either in the City or in the County.
I will be glad to let you look at my first generation Sightmark as well.

As far as a digital scope on a crossbow..... I always thought crossbows generated harmonics like a BB / pellet rifle.
Posted By: Wader

Re: Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/10/14 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Harley7892
Not sure how to mount to crossbow but sure it could get figured out.

On my xbow I took a piece of aluminum angle attached via the stirrup bolts and screwed an old 10/22 rail to it. A little ovalling out of the holes for the stirrup bolts gives a little vertical adjustment. Took about 10 minutes without much thinking. If I were in a mind to do it again I would do a bit more carving on the angle stock as it mounts a bit crooked do to part of the xbow stock protruding past the stirrup mount. I would do more than eyeball the attachment of the rail since with the angle stock straight is should be on parallel with it. Actually with a shorter rail the angle stock could be short enough not to cause any problems in the first place. Other than that, maybe use more appropriate screws and some paint would be nice.

-ww

Posted By: Microsktr

Re: Need NV scope for Parker crossbow - 11/11/14 04:34 PM

Thanks for all the info. I was looking at the Sightmark XT scope that was recommended, and I think that may be my best option...it has everything I would want in an NV scope. It's a little priced out of my range right now, but if I get a new job soon and save up some money, I should be OK. For now, I'll just hunt the hogs by moonlight.

By the way, Happy Veterans Day today!! flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum