Texas Hunting Forum

DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt

Posted By: Bearclaw

DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 12:05 AM

Never recovered the hog, but from the video it looks like she was having trouble extending her front right leg immediately after the shot. I think dfwroadkill hit her low in the shoulder and she died in the brush.

Posted By: HuntTXhogs

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 12:14 AM

Tyler -

Was the native video shot in 720p @ 60 hz or 1080p @ 30 hz?

Is the original of higher resolution (quality) than this Youtube upload?

Nice shot DFWRoadkill

HTXH

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntTXhogs
Tyler -

Was the native video shot in 720p @ 60 hz or 1080p @ 30 hz?

Is the original of higher resolution (quality) than this Youtube upload?

Nice shot DFWRoadkill

HTXH

As usual it looks better through the scope and on raw files. I am rendering a 1080p 30fps video now and I will try to see if I can't get it uploaded in it's native format. Either way, the image is impressive. Those hogs were at 45 yards. The X-Sight has some serious range for day and night use.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 12:41 AM

Here try watching htis one in 1080p for a better representation
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 12:46 AM

I didn't see a setting to switch to 720. All the processing does put a dent in the video as compared to raw. The sight picture on this scope is phenomenal as compared to anything else digital that I have seen on the commercial market.

As for the shot, it is one of those you never quite figure out. I seem to have those. blush I checked zero on the weapon before and after the hunt. The weapon was on and accurate. The X-Sight maintains zero no matter the mag btw. Tight 100 yard groups are easily attainable. The shot was off a ridge into a small valley. The downhill may have gotten me here. I dunno.

Anyway, yes, the X-Sight sight picture is noticeably better than rendered here. I know they are working through some final glitches to give folks all that they have expected, but friend, this scope is going to put a huge grin on your face.

banana banana

Disclaimer: I do not work for any night vision manufacturer, distributor or dealer, period. I receive no money or other enticement for my thoughts on this product.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 01:24 AM

The video footage is better than I expected.
Can we safely assume that there will not be a POI in the videos or do you know if this is a glitch that is being resolved?
Also, what caliber / platform (bolt gun / ar-10/15 was used in the video?

Some of us really appreciate the time put into doing these reviews.

BK

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 01:51 AM

I agree with Kbar - some of us truly appreciate the video and first look tests footage being posted from dealer and/or user experience!

Can either Tyler or DFWRoadkill venture a guess as to how the dusk situation is going to work out.

As I understand the scope is configured for Day OR Night use - so I am assuming that at dusk the scope in Day mode will begin to suffer from a performance standpoint at longer distance, what this will look like is one question (softer image / is there a point where it just won't be able to render an image / etc) and the other question is if you switch the scope into Night mode during the day or dusk does it perform 100% with the compromise being no color video only B&W or Green?

HTXH

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Kbar Ag Service
The video footage is better than I expected.
Can we safely assume that there will not be a POI in the videos or do you know if this is a glitch that is being resolved?
Also, what caliber / platform (bolt gun / ar-10/15 was used in the video?

Some of us really appreciate the time put into doing these reviews.

BK

Kbar.... I am not exactly sure what you mean in your first question, but will try to answer from assumption. Argh! grin I do not know the exact circumstances as to why the reticule does not show in the video at this point. It is clearly a firmware issue, but as I understand it, there is either a fix at hand or will be very soon. A reticule in the video is extremely important as evidenced in the pig video. The weapon used in the video was an AR10 in .308. I have experienced no failures with the X-Sight at all as concerns recoil. I will say this, batteries. Batteries are very important. Do not purchase and attempt to use cheap batteries with any of these scopes. I have experienced shut off, pauses and other glitches with cheap(er) batteries. First choice is Energizer, second is Duracell. Both endure the recoil, but the Energizers last longer. I can absolutely, 100% duplicate this scenario....and experienced it with the Photon XT also.

The X-Sight can or will do a lot of things. It is running a powerful processor, with GPS, Geo-sensing, recording, wi-fi and more. Some of these "accessory" items use a lot of power naturally. The X-Sight will use a lot of battery, particularly if you leave these items running all of the time. Power management is very important.....that or daddies credit card at the battery store. That said, compared to everything you have seen in the digital line-up to date, the X-Sight sight picture will wow you on your first look. If I chose one word, it would be....impressive.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 02:52 AM

As I understand the scope is configured for Day OR Night use - so I am assuming that at dusk the scope in Day mode will begin to suffer from a performance standpoint at longer distance, what this will look like is one question (softer image / is there a point where it just won't be able to render an image / etc) and the other question is if you switch the scope into Night mode during the day or dusk does it perform 100% with the compromise being no color video only B&W or Green?

HTXH

HTXH.... Great questions! As all of us know, dusk and dawn are always a tough time for digital scopes. As dusk draws close to night or light comes to the point of day, the day mode does not have full, brilliant color or clarity. Nor do any of the others. I think it will take more time in the field to be able to answer this question with absolute conviction. The resolution on this scope is so far ahead of the others that I don't think it matters. You can see, it does not lose the image, just less color. It is correct that there is a point wherein one has to make the decision to switch between day/night modes. It doesn't take long once you get the menu structure down, but it is a step...and doesn't it always happen at the wrong time. Answering this today, I would say that, by and large, it is close to a non-issue. I could always adjust quickly to see at least 250 yards.

Second question.... If you switch the scope into night mode during the day, you get a white screen. Around dusk, you get a decent image with no illuminator. That is how I recall it on the dusk thing, but remember, we have had limited time in the field.

You have been at the digital thing on this for a long time...a big advocate of digital. You're gonna love it.

I hope this helps...feel free to ask more questions if I wasn't clear. cheers

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 03:07 AM

Thanks D -

The beauty of digital is by far and large the ability to create software (firmware) that improves the use of the product.

It would seem a natural progression for a digital weapon sight to have built in ambient light detection that is able to be configured by the user, for example.

It auto-senses light available and automatically chooses Day or Night mode, the user decides whether this happens at 50% of daylight or 45% or 40% whatever works for their hunting scenario and personal preference.

It may seem like nothing but it does two things:

1) Keeps the user from fiddling with the scope/weapon unnecessarily
2) Makes the user at dusk/dawn idiot proof, set it and forget it

Of course the engineers are probably rolling their eyes at my concept due to the use of IR at night which could be responded to as "light" causing a fault in Day/Night mode but I am sure an algorithm could be used that factors what wavelength of light is available to the system.

I am a digital advocate and look forward to you and Tyler's continued assessments of the demo and production models.

HTXH

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 03:14 AM

I think your idea is great (and probably doable), but there are reasons that such a product is not on the market today. Because we have watched digital evolve, we also know that what you suggest will be here sooner than later. It has clearly been a monumental task for ATN to get the scope to this point.....and they have lots of resources. Until someone else releases a color scope, they are clearly ahead of the field at this point. Keep in mind, this scope is doing an awful lot for the money....way more than anyone else.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 03:17 AM

I think night mode will work during dusk.
No poi issues I have seen. You can choose the image to zoom on the center of the image, or the center of the reticle.

This image is using different digital zooms on a Remington R25 .308, and POI is consistent.

Here's another sight in. 3 shots...

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 03:22 AM

Yes, and Kbar, if you were asking about POI shifts with mag, we have not noticed any. Seems rock solid. up
Posted By: SachalATN

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 03:46 AM

Guyz, amazing job. I just want to say it is people like you who help us make our stuff better. It's easy to criticize but providing useful feedback is really important and only helps us improve our products. When the THOR first came in the market it revolutionized the thermal scope market. We offered quality performance at an affordable price point. Then through out the years with your feedback we improved the scope and now it is considered the benchmark scope in the market, outselling bigger brands.
Same philosophy goes behind the Xsight, there are tons of features we can implement in the xsight, some might be either too much and deter people away, hence we rely on your feedback to make this scope better. Once you receive your scope, send us your feedback, our team is committed to improving this scope. If you don't like anything, do tell us. We will address the issues. I know some members just want to bash our name but people who have actually bought our products know that we try our best to please our customers. If we didn't we wouldn't be in business for 20 years and continue growing.

Thank you for your patience and support.
Posted By: BunnyBlaster

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 03:29 PM

Thank you for all the pics/videos and reviews. Really appreciate it, helps with the brutal wait

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/04/14 04:16 PM

I think brutal pretty well fits... cheers
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 01:00 AM

Alrighty, back in the action after a delay in being able to log on...

DFW/Bearclaw, how high does this sight sit on the gun, i.e. is this a high sight kind of like the Pulsar N750 or a lower sight more in line with the ATN Thor line? I want to mount this on a savage 22-250 in place of the N750 but there is no way I could make the ATN Thor work on that gun as the eyepiece was too far away when holding the gun on the shoulder with proper cheek weld. I guess a second question right in line with that is what kind of eye relief are you dealing with on this scope, is this a scope you need to be up against like most other NV equipment or is there some distance like a regular scope?

Thanks for posting these videos, I am anxiously awaiting more info about this scope and the possibilities it gives.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 01:05 AM

Can I say now that I want one of these things....
Posted By: Jhop

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 01:23 AM

I'd like to see a side profile picture of the X-sight mounted on your rifle if you don't mind.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Alrighty, back in the action after a delay in being able to log on...

DFW/Bearclaw, how high does this sight sit on the gun, i.e. is this a high sight kind of like the Pulsar N750 or a lower sight more in line with the ATN Thor line? I want to mount this on a savage 22-250 in place of the N750 but there is no way I could make the ATN Thor work on that gun as the eyepiece was too far away when holding the gun on the shoulder with proper cheek weld. I guess a second question right in line with that is what kind of eye relief are you dealing with on this scope, is this a scope you need to be up against like most other NV equipment or is there some distance like a regular scope?

Thanks for posting these videos, I am anxiously awaiting more info about this scope and the possibilities it gives.

The X-Sight mounts lower than the 750. It is more like a conventional scope. Lighter too. The eye relief is somewhat like a Thor and other NV scopes in that you have to get up close and look into it. I know all this sounds contrary to what you would wish, but maybe Tyler can talk to you about a mount. I think I have seen some offset mounts for bolt guns that shift the scope rearward and also keep the chamber clear.

Either way, the sight picture on this scope as compares to all other digital currently on the market is a gotta have....even if it means a new AR... grin

Hope this helps and best to ya! cheers

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Rcinit
I'd like to see a side profile picture of the X-sight mounted on your rifle if you don't mind.

Here is mine

popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 02:57 AM

Dfw, Thanks for the input. One thing I may need to do is change out the stock to a more tactical stock with adjustable cheek piece and such, might make mounting the scope on the 22-250 a little easier.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 02:59 AM

Ben, glad to see you back at it. I thought maybe you had officially retired from the forum after things got nasty in your other threads...I always enjoyed hearing about new stuff, but the way things rolled was silly (not your fault as you know)

Like the gun, will like it more with a real x-sight if that's the gun you will be mounting it on.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 03:00 AM

Will these work?

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 03:02 AM

Cracks me up Ben... rofl

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 03:15 AM

I think they might let Tyler put up some night vid in the next day or so. There had been speculation that the X-Sight would need extra heavy duty IR, but that isn't the case. You do need a good aftermarket IR to get the best out of it, but it is more than capable as compares to its competition. I read recently where ATN or a rep had said something to the effect, "remember, it is a day scope first...". Well, it does just fine at night too. No need to downplay it at all... banana

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 03:34 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures dfwroadkill. Just what I was looking for.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 03:37 AM

Happy to help. We've all waited a long time to get info... up
Posted By: bonzman17

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 09:33 PM

Any new updates? Can we see a picture of the front with and without the pinhole cover please.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 09:44 PM

There is no pinhole cover.
Posted By: Kbar Ag Service

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 10:10 PM

Here is mine

popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn popcorn

stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir stir

"MINI" version or is that a .50 cal AR ?
Yours looks a little shorter than Roadkill!!!!

What gives?
Posted By: BunnyBlaster

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 10:11 PM

^ could be the 3-12 version? It looks smaller than the 5x in the pics I've seen

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 10:17 PM

Hehe!! It's a crunched down photochopper. grin

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 10:39 PM

It is a photoshopped "joke" photo however the scope rendering is of the 3x, it looks quite a bit different than the 5x.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 10:57 PM

X-Sight 5-18x

X-Sight 3-12
Posted By: bonzman17

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 11:00 PM

The ir able to be focused?

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: bonzman17
The ir able to be focused?

Yes, you can adjust the beam from narrow to flood and also the intensity of the IR.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 11:24 PM

Sachal (or Bearclaw/dfwroadkill),

Is the IR on the pictures 5x the included illuminator or is that a separate purchase? If it is the included one, does it run off the same power supply or is there a different power source for the IR and the scope?

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 11:58 PM

Yes, it is the included illuminator and runs on its own battery. BTW, this illuminator runs at 805 nm, not to be confused with 850 nm.

It works pretty good as factory IR's go, but you'll want a good aftermarket to get the full effect out of the scope.

Hope this helps.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/05/14 11:58 PM

Sachal (or Bearclaw/dfwroadkill),

Is the IR on the pictures 5x the included illuminator or is that a separate purchase? If it is the included one, does it run off the same power supply or is there a different power source for the IR and the scope?

The IR in the picture is a standard accessory on both 3-12x and 5-18x. You do not pay anything extra for it.
As for power, it uses its own 2 x CR123 batteries and last around 6-8 hours.

Thanks!

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 12:21 AM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the unv20 (is that the one that everyone recommends for digital nv?) would be the alternative to buy as an upgrade.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 12:25 AM

UNV20 is actually one of the best IRs I have ever seen.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 12:39 AM

Have you tried using the Lightforce IR filter lens for the lightforce series of spotlights? Lightfore says it's in the 860-949nm range. Just wondering that would stake up to the X-sights onboard IR and the UNV20 IR illuminator.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 12:48 AM

Have you tried using the Lightforce IR filter lens for the lightforce series of spotlights? Lightfore says it's in the 860-949nm range. Just wondering that would stake up to the X-sights onboard IR and the UNV20 IR illuminator.

Rcinit, Xsight does not have an on board IR. It uses a detachable IR 850

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 12:53 AM

uhmmm......... that too! lol

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 01:33 AM

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the unv20 (is that the one that everyone recommends for digital nv?) would be the alternative to buy as an upgrade.

Yes, but Tyler has something new coming out. wink

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 02:51 AM

I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I like the way the scope sits rather far back. I prefer to keep the weight more to the rear of the weapon.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 03:34 AM

I had no problem being completely comfortable with it.

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 04:17 AM

Originally Posted By: dfwroadkill

Yes, but Tyler has something new coming out. wink

You are such a tease bang

Any hints about what might be this unknown product?

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/06/14 01:05 PM

Yes, it is very similar to last years Camary, but the new model. rofl I think if you order one today (UNV 20 IR), you get the new model. There is also another one (two battery model, bigger lens) with the ability to focus down further than the current product. I think it will be here within the month, but Tyler doesn't share everything... grin

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/07/14 06:02 AM

Just an update. We now have continous zoom. I know I said initially we will have step zoom but we were able to achieve variable magnification. Goes back to the point I made earlier, this scope is constantly going to evolve and you can unlock all the new features by simply updating the firmware at home.
Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/08/14 04:24 PM

thanks for the updates and getting involed sachaATN, think the end result from yals work is going to be great, ATN most likely marketed it a bit to soon which was a mistake , but in the end think this product will be awesome, keep up work and info am in east texas pine woods can,t wait to try the 3/ 12. and with the ability to update it will surely get better, keep us in the know please
Posted By: mustanger

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/08/14 11:12 PM

So far, I am yet to hear of anyone getting delivery of the X-sight. The three people that have reported on it, seem to have used the same scope. So, when do y'all anticipate that somebody outside of the dealer community will have one?
Posted By: Halfstep

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/09/14 08:37 PM

I am with you on these thoughts Mustanger, I would think that this new ATN x sight would have been put through the paces so that people would truly know what they are ordering. As most have asked good questions and no answers have been forthcoming. Everything has been piecemeal, tidbits. This is not how you sell a product nor a company. My questions are about what this scope can do at night.
1. What range can you detect and what range can you ID with the on board IR that ATN provides ?
2. Why provide an IR that will not do the job and the owner then has to upgrade to a better IR to see as far as the scope is capable ?
3. I saw the video of the Buck that was posted at 175 yds and it showed that this was taken at 1x to 2.5x. How does that work when the
lowest power on both XT's is 3x and 5x ?
4. How much pixelation do you get when zoom up to 12x or 18x and in between ?
5. Double AA's are used ? Ok, how long can you run them before they need to be replaced ? Telling someone that this scope eats them
does not tell what the battery life is in this scope.
Understand , I truly love the concept of the XT but these questions and many more should have been forth coming and explained clearly to us the consumers. I am a first time poster here but a long time observer of this thread and others and thought it time to post. I am not here to ruffle feathers or offend anyone. But if we do not ask then we remain blind.
Halfstep
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/10/14 05:15 AM

Quote:
1. What range can you detect and what range can you ID with the on board IR that ATN provides ?

It isn't on board. The question is good, except for this facet. It attached to a rail just like the UNV20IR would have to do. What is the detection range? Of what? Dressed or naturally occurring in what color and on what color background?

Quote:
2. Why provide an IR that will not do the job and the owner then has to upgrade to a better IR to see as far as the scope is capable ?

Good question. I don't know of a single company selling NV (traditional or digital) rifle scopes that includes an IR that will meet the capacity of the scope. This is not an ATN issue per se, but an industry issue.

Quote:
3. I saw the video of the Buck that was posted at 175 yds and it showed that this was taken at 1x to 2.5x. How does that work when the
lowest power on both XT's is 3x and 5x ?

This is also common in the industry with digital and thermal scopes. You have the optical magnification of the scope which is the lowest magnification you will see through the viewfinder, such as 3x or 5x. However, you can digitally magnify that image. So if the display shows 2x, your 3x (optical) scope is digitally magnified 2 times and you are now seeing a simulated 6x.

Quote:
4. How much pixelation do you get when zoom up to 12x or 18x and in between ?

There are vids on Youtube that you can see the scope demo'd to full magnification and assess the pixelation for yourself.
Quote:

5. Double AA's are used ? Ok, how long can you run them before they need to be replaced ? Telling someone that this scope eats them
does not tell what the battery life is in this scope.

Check the specs on the scope yourself. With that said, run time will vary depending on the features being used. You are right that saying that the scope eats batteries does not tell you what the battery life is of the scope, but it tells you that it is fast. Nobody can give you a specific battery life number because of variable usage/power needs.

BTW, the thread is about the X-sight, not the XT. You have confused the features of the two scopes.
Posted By: He'sDeadJim

Re: DFWRoadkill and an X-Sighting Hog Hunt - 11/15/14 06:47 AM

Tagged
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum