Texas Hunting Forum

Optics...need some help on what

Posted By: daniel1381

Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 06:30 AM

Ok just got my 6.5 back from Derrick and looking to take the long distance class with fireman.. So I am currently running a 2 mth old zeiss hd5 5x25x50 sfp...I'm looking to buy a ffp options

Budget under 2 k
Nightforce f1 3.5x15x50 ffp
Vortex pst
Vortex razor
Swfa ss

Opinons?!?!?

Or stay with zeiss and buy a handheld flir or nv
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 06:47 AM

Go against the kool aid and get thermal

Your scope is easily good enough to shoot at distance.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 12:33 PM

Says the guy that has never been through the class.

Its not Koolaid it is getting the right tool for the job. A Zeiss or Swaro will not hang on my range. You need a Mil/ Mil or MOA/ MOA scope.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 01:10 PM

Grape or red Kool aid?

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 01:38 PM

You don't know what you're talking about. You're out of you depth.

Tell you what. Come to the range and shoot me for $5 a shot. You hit and I miss I pay $5. I hit and you miss you pay me $5. We'll see if it's Koolaide.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 02:20 PM

And you were sucessful at trolling for me. grin
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 02:44 PM

For the Zeiss you currently have, I would say try it. BUT..... The Zeiss models I have shot that did not have a parallax knob on it, would not hold groups out at longer ranges. It doesn't look like you have a parallax adjustment on this scope. Yes, it has 1/4 moa turrets, which is needed for dialing, but you might be off on the parallax. If the Nightforce scope option is on the table, I will ALWAYS pick a NF over anything else. I own 4 of them, and it's all I shoot for my precision rifles. They are a very good scope.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 03:03 PM

Think a f1 3.5x15x50 would be good?

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 03:59 PM

Sure. It would be awesome!

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 07:01 PM

[quote=FiremanJG]You don't know what you're talking about. You're out of you depth.

Tell you what. Come to the range and shoot me for $5 a shot. You hit and I miss I pay $5. I hit and you miss you pay me $5. We'll see if it's Koolaide. [/quote

yawn wow I didnt see this one coming except for that last 5 times you offered it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 07:17 PM

I think the hd5 has parallax.. Can't image a 25 power scope not having it. Pretty sure that's their mid level LR scope.

You should be fine unless you have to have FFP

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 07:48 PM

I just looked it up. It doesn't have the parallax adjustment. It says it's parallax free from 50 to infinity. I'd have to shoot it to test it out. But I'd gamble a pretty penny that once you get out past 400 yards groups would open up.

http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_us...pes.html#models

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 07:58 PM

calling around now to find the f1 and get it on the way and ill just sell the zeiss...will the nightforce be as clear as the zeiss?

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 08:53 PM

Still havn't nutted up and done it either.

Maybe I'm right and it's not Koolaide?

Daniel, yes NF will be as clear as Zeiss.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 08:56 PM

lmao... ok sounds good .. found 1 in stock waiting on a call back
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/03/14 09:37 PM

Bushnell DMR and you'll have money leftover

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Still havn't nutted up and done it either.

Maybe I'm right and it's not Koolaide?

Daniel, yes NF will be as clear as Zeiss.

No it won't above the HD5 mark or higher. TerrA and orginal conquest yes but not the hd5 or higher.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 02:04 AM

Alright fine. Open for interpretation. A NF F-1 can shoot distance, a Zeiss cannot. It will cause a miss due to wind.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:48 AM

Alright fine. Open for interpretation. A NF F-1 can shoot distance, a Zeiss cannot. It will cause a miss due to wind.

Which Zeiss??? You just left the door wide open. And that's not a good thing since you just included the Hensoldt

Last time I checked the Zeiss hd5 had horizontal left and right adjustment? Or does Zeiss HD5 not track in those directions? Or is it a only a mil hashed ffp scope able to have a useable reticle? Or is th 60 Moa up and 40 lateral not enough? Why would one of the largest quality scope mfg's produce a scope with that much travel if you can't shoot over 500 yards with it...... Ironic

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I just looked it up. It doesn't have the parallax adjustment. It says it's parallax free from 50 to infinity. I'd have to shoot it to test it out. But I'd gamble a pretty penny that once you get out past 400 yards groups would open up.

The 5-25x50 does has parrallax, you mis read it I had to double check too. I now most of the conquest line doesn't but the hd5 was their mid level or offering.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

The 5-25x50 does has parrallax, you mis read it I had to double check too. I now most of the conquest line doesn't but the hd5 was their mid level or offering.

FYI

CONQUEST HD5 5-25x50

The most compact high-magnification riflescope in the industry and the most powerful in the HD5 line, this riflescope is perfect for mid to extra-long-range hunting. The wide magnification range provides great flexibility for those shooting in vast Western terrains with magnum calibers or for general varmint and predator control.

This scope also features a side parallax adjustment

and is available with a Z-Plex reticle with lockable target turret, RAPID-Z® 800 with hunting turret, Rapid-Z® 1000 with lockable target turret or with a RAPID-Z® Varmint reticle and hunting turret.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel1381
lmao... ok sounds good .. found 1 in stock waiting on a call back

Great decision!

Post pics when you get it on the rifle!
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 01:51 PM

Go with the Bushnell

"Clarity" is the most subjective quality of an optic, once you get into the higher end products

I have what I considers the Gold standard of scopes... Schmidt and Bender 5-25x56 PMII to me there are none clearer, tougher,....bla bla bla BUT

I also have 4 Bushnell elites and I have just as much confidence in the optical picture and mechanical function in my DMR as I do my Schmidt and at a 1/3rd the price it really doesn't bother me as bad if I scuff it up a bit aim
Posted By: dee

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 02:51 PM

What's the amount of travel in the Zeiss? They are known to not have much besides in the high end options. It likely won't be to much of a issue with the 6.5 but could be.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:00 PM

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:23 PM

Which Zeiss??? You just left the door wide open. And that's not a good thing since you just included the Hensoldt

Last time I checked the Zeiss hd5 had horizontal left and right adjustment? Or does Zeiss HD5 not track in those directions? Or is it a only a mil hashed ffp scope able to have a useable reticle? Or is th 60 Moa up and 40 lateral not enough? Why would one of the largest quality scope mfg's produce a scope with that much travel if you can't shoot over 500 yards with it...... Ironic

Alright. I left out Hensolt. Here's one:

http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-zf-4-16x56-mildot-front-focal-riflescope.aspx

Money can be better spent on another brand in my opinion. But that's just like pickups, everyone has their preferred brand. FYI, I rarely see e Hensolt at competition. NF, SS, Vortex, even S & B. I really can't recall seeing a Hensolt, but I won't say no one uses them.

I looked at the HD5. The reticles with hold points, only a few have them on the windage line. Are they MOA, Mil, what? I have some firemen friends that have those reticles, and they came out pre-elk hunt wanting to hit 500 yards. I had to draw lines on paper at 100 yards, get behind their scopes, and measure what the lines meant so that I could convert it into MOA or Mil, since that's how ballistic calculators speak. I helped them on steel out to 500, but I can say with complete certainty that life is much easier when one can dial elevation and hold wind, they were holding both and it only worked on one magnification setting. Then I had to warn them that all that field DOPE they just got would change once they were on the mountain. Both suggested they would be calling me after the hunt and asking for recommendations on replacement scopes since they would be selling those Zeiss $1k scopes that don't really get the job done very easily.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:30 PM

Just saw that BOBO. One thing that is kinda odd is they list .25 inch at 100. If that's correct it's iphy not true moa.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: dee
Just saw that BOBO. One thing that is kinda odd is they list .25 inch at 100. If that's correct it's iphy not true moa.

I thought same thing until all the turrets have 1/4 Moa on them. Looks like the hd5 has a zero stop on it and stops at 16.5, but you unscrew the zero stop and you get full range.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:56 PM

Alright. I left out Hensolt. Here's one:

http://www.eurooptic.com/carl-zeiss-optronics-hensoldt-zf-4-16x56-mildot-front-focal-riflescope.aspx

Money can be better spent on another brand in my opinion. But that's just like pickups, everyone has their preferred brand. FYI, I rarely see e Hensolt at competition. NF, SS, Vortex, even S & B. I really can't recall seeing a Hensolt, but I won't say no one uses them.

I looked at the HD5. The reticles with hold points, only a few have them on the windage line. Are they MOA, Mil, what? I have some firemen friends that have those reticles, and they came out pre-elk hunt wanting to hit 500 yards. I had to draw lines on paper at 100 yards, get behind their scopes, and measure what the lines meant so that I could convert it into MOA or Mil, since that's how ballistic calculators speak. I helped them on steel out to 500, but I can say with complete certainty that life is much easier when one can dial elevation and hold wind, they were holding both and it only worked on one magnification setting. Then I had to warn them that all that field DOPE they just got would change once they were on the mountain. Both suggested they would be calling me after the hunt and asking for recommendations on replacement scopes since they would be selling those Zeiss $1k scopes that don't really get the job done very easily.

So you just told the OP to sell a scope because you said it was incapable of shooting long range!!!! When in fact it is not. It has the similar dialing ability for the most part as the NF line when you add shims. So I wonder why NF even sells MOA scopes and SFP???

Fact of the matter is it is capable and it's as accurate as the shooter. The OP should learn how to use that scope first and see if it will accomplish everything he wants, then decide if he needs to spend another grand.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/04/14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

I thought same thing until all the turrets have 1/4 Moa on them. Looks like the hd5 has a zero stop on it and stops at 16.5, but you unscrew the zero stop and you get full range.

Seems like a lot of hassle. I also wouldn't trust the adjustments until I tested the actual measurement.

I'm in agreement with straightshot on the Bushnell as they are listening very well to the customers and putting it to product.

Re: Optics...need some help on what - 11/05/14 12:45 AM

Fact of the matter is I teach classes and see, monthly, how hard it is to get some guys on 2 MOA steel out to 800 yards. I also see how FFP makes life easier for them. I also see how Mils makes life easier for them. Hell I've had MOA guys come out, we use their MOA scopes (yes I can use MOA just fine) and they have left, sold their MOA scopes and purchased Mil scopes. Without me suggesting they do so. I didn't tell Daniel to sell anything. He asked me via four pages of PMs if there was a better scope he could go through the class as well as use from now on, and I honestly answered.. I always offer to loan out my Vortex Viper PST for the class free of charge. The student just needs a 20 MOA pic rail and I'll move my scope and rings to their rifle. Some guys take me up on that, some guys decide to buy a different scope before they show up. Then I show them how to use it, very effectively.

Sure the Zeiss he has will dial corrections, but that's only half the battle. Life is much easier when you dial elevation and hold wind. Once you commit to a wind dial you will see the wind change in velocity or angle and you have to reach up and change the dial. His reticle had no good wind holds as do almost all Zeiss scopes as well as multiple other brands.

I always spend an hour or more going through a lesson plan, in a specific order before we ever fire a shot. Many times guys have questions and I have to explain things a different way. I give 100% of what I know and will change the explanation until they understand it. Then we check 100 yard zero, reset turrets if needed, and move on down the range from 200 to 800 yards, usually before lunch. I have not had a single negative report from anyone that has been out with me for a day. 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I intend to keep it that way. If someone wants to come out with a Zeiss or a Nikon, or a Leupold with a slick duplex reticle I will accomidate them. But when someone asks me what their options are for a better scope to get the job done I will give them a straight answer based on my experience.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum