Texas Hunting Forum

So what's the answer OR Is there and answer.

Posted By: tShawnB

So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/19/18 02:45 PM

First off let me state that I am 100% behind every law abiding citizen of the United States of America being able to purchase and own a firearm of their choosing for any reason as long as that firearm is legally purchased for legal protection, hunting, collecting or sport shooting. That being said is it time for responsible gun owners to start the conversation on what steps we can take as a nation to protect our 2A rights while protecting innocent people from incidents like we have seen in FL, Vegas, Sandy Hook, Ft. Hood, etc.... I understand the answer may not be more laws as we've seen with the last several mass shooting that laws were there to stop them, they just weren't enforced properly but I guess the question is do we raise the minimum age to purchase a gun? Do we expand (whatever that means) background checks on a national level as many have called for? Again, I'm one of the guys that certainly doesn't blame the gun as I have many of them that have never harmed anyone, but nor do I want to allow politicians with no clue whatsoever to dictate my 2A rights. So again, should we as responsible gun owners start that conversation and offer solutions in the form of legislation to appease those, whose numbers seem to be growing, against us?
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/19/18 04:52 PM

I think people need to start holding our government more accountable. It's failing us. My SO dislikes guns and is fairly liberal. She even randomly brought up yesterday that the gun control marches in the wake of this tragedy is in error. The signs were there, people did their duty and warned our government, but they did not act on that information. The church shooting not long ago, clerical error by the government allowed the shooter to purchase firearms. She and I agreed that if our current laws and system failed us, what more can additional laws do? Enforce the laws we have and hold those who fail us accountable. I would be shocked if those that were involved on the FBI side get so much as a citation on their employee file, let alone their jobs be in jeopardy.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/19/18 11:50 PM

No law should ever be written to appease any group. Any law written should have a legitimate goal and the reasonable ability to achieve that goal. If we get behind anything to appease the anti gun nut jobs we'll get exactly what we deserve and it won't be good. Passing a law to appease these buffoons does three things immediately: it takes something away from us, it gets them one more rung up their ladder, and it once again successfully keeps everyone from having to address the real problems. If you want to look at new laws, maybe we could start by talking about ways to take our schools off of the soft target list.
As much as people would like to believe otherwise, there is simply no way to completely prevent these crimes. We can only prevent as many as we can by doing things that will actually work. Make no mistake, the liberal left is much more concerned with eroding our gun rights than protecting our children. I have no interest in appeasing them.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/20/18 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
No law should ever be written to appease any group. Any law written should have a legitimate goal and the reasonable ability to achieve that goal. If we get behind anything to appease the anti gun nut jobs we'll get exactly what we deserve and it won't be good. Passing a law to appease these buffoons does three things immediately: it takes something away from us, it gets them one more rung up their ladder, and it once again successfully keeps everyone from having to address the real problems. If you want to look at new laws, maybe we could start by talking about ways to take our schools off of the soft target list.
As much as people would like to believe otherwise, there is simply no way to completely prevent these crimes. We can only prevent as many as we can by doing things that will actually work. Make no mistake, the liberal left is much more concerned with eroding our gun rights than protecting our children. I have no interest in appeasing them.

Very well stated and I agree wholeheartedly..... flag

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/20/18 06:41 PM

I agree with this. My only worry is if we don't do something they might do a lot. I hope folks understand like many of us what's really at stake here. It's so much more than the Second Amendment.
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/20/18 09:14 PM

No guns under 21 bought, ar limited to 10, no bump stocks, better background check, something on non ffl gun sales—take your pick.
Posted By: Cherokee Mingan

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 01:13 PM

I was going to state my opinion and then realized that a new law or restriction won't work when they are not enforcing the ones we already have.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntmaster
No guns under 21 bought, ar limited to 10, no bump stocks, better background check, something on non ffl gun sales—take your pick.

The 21 rule I could maybe get behind for semi auto handguns or rifles. I'm one of the guys that says if you can fight and die for your country at 18, then there's not much you shouldn't be able to do legally. I also agree that if we're not enforcing our current gun laws then adding new gun laws only affects the law abiding citizen from his rights to own as many damn guns as he/she wants. I'm fine with bump stock ban or at least making it a CL 3 upgrade as long as they remove SBR's and suppressors from that list.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 03:59 PM

None of these are "the answer" but all are on the "what's next" list..... 2cents

If they were really serious about stopping shootings like this then "gun free zones" would be eliminated. All they are doing is preventing law abiding citizens from defending themselves.....

Everything listed only places the government more in control....yet the government (FBI, SO, and School) all had history on this guy but failed to do anything to stop him....I would fully trust both of my son's with pistols and rifles from the age they were 15-16....their step-brother I wouldn't trust if he were 35 (unless I see a dramatic change in his maturity)....

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 07:11 PM

Snake, I would trust your sons also, they probably were taught the right way. The problem is the other 95%-who are idiots. We do nothing and this group of up and coming non gun crowd will pass their own gun laws for us. We have to get ahead.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 07:51 PM

Snake, I would trust your sons also, they probably were taught the right way. The problem is the other 95%-who are idiots. We do nothing and this group of up and coming non gun crowd will pass their own gun laws for us. We have to get ahead.

The point was...it's not as much an age issue, or mag capacity, or bumpstock, as a social problem....too many years of participation trophy's, removing discipline from schools, and medicating kids to make them "easier to manage".....

One of my youngest boys teachers (2nd or 3rd grade) wanted him put on meds. I asked her what the problem was. Her response was, "he wiggled around in his seat too much".....I politely told her to go pound sand!

This was the same school (NE Ohio) that wanted to expel him for three day for bringing a little plastic 1" long G.I. Joe M-16 to school because they had a "zero tolerance" policy. We got passed that one then had to deal with her again when he drew pictures of army guys with guns....again because of their "zero tolerance" policy!

We had many, many interesting parent/teacher/principal meetings......

This is the kind of crap that happens when stupid azz libturds run the school system. We went private until we were able to move back to Texas......
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 08:21 PM

Huntmaster, lets say that we as pro-gun people supported the following: Firearm sales to 21 and up, 10 round magazine limit, bump stock ban, and a more encompasing background check that would include all sales or tranfers of all firearms. And we did so to appease the anti gunners. OK. Once those had all passed, what happens when a year down the road (or sooner) someone does this again. What then? None of the laws did anything to stop it from happening again, so we need more laws to appease the anti-gunners. So we pass a law that bans all semi-auto firearms. We've still got levers and bolts to hunt with and revolvers to protect ourselves, right? So another year goes by, and it happens again. Crap! Gotta pass another law to appease the anti-gunners. Take away levers and bolts. Hey, we've still got ruger number 1's and shotguns to hunt with, and revolvers to protect ourselves, right? OK. A few years go by and it happens again...That's why I can not get behind any legistation that is just to appease anti-gunners and in reality won't do anything to protect our kids. What will protect our kids? Teachers with guns will, armed guards/police officers will, metal detectors that will alert those armed guards/police will. Removing the gun free zone so that a Dad or Mom who has a CHL and volunteers at the school will. That's where we need to focus.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
First off let me state that I am 100% behind every law abiding citizen of the United States of America being able to purchase and own a firearm of their choosing for any reason as long as that firearm is legally purchased for legal protection, hunting, collecting or sport shooting. That being said is it time for responsible gun owners to start the conversation on what steps we can take as a nation to protect our 2A rights while protecting innocent people from incidents like we have seen in FL, Vegas, Sandy Hook, Ft. Hood, etc.... I understand the answer may not be more laws as we've seen with the last several mass shooting that laws were there to stop them, they just weren't enforced properly but I guess the question is do we raise the minimum age to purchase a gun? Do we expand (whatever that means) background checks on a national level as many have called for? Again, I'm one of the guys that certainly doesn't blame the gun as I have many of them that have never harmed anyone, but nor do I want to allow politicians with no clue whatsoever to dictate my 2A rights. So again, should we as responsible gun owners start that conversation and offer solutions in the form of legislation to appease those, whose numbers seem to be growing, against us?

Nothing changes for the Second Amendment. Period.

This is a societal problem. Nothing gets fixed until we acknowledge that.

Stop thinking emotionally. They want us all to give an inch to get the process started. Let's say they ban ARs tomorrow. Are you going to turns yours in?

I'm not. And I can assure you there are millions like me. So how does gun legislation effect the problem? It doesn't, pure and simple. Do you think they will go house to house to confiscate? That would be the beginning of the next Civil War in this country.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
Huntmaster, lets say that we as pro-gun people supported the following: Firearm sales to 21 and up, 10 round magazine limit, bump stock ban, and a more encompasing background check that would include all sales or tranfers of all firearms. And we did so to appease the anti gunners. OK. Once those had all passed, what happens when a year down the road (or sooner) someone does this again. What then? None of the laws did anything to stop it from happening again, so we need more laws to appease the anti-gunners. So we pass a law that bans all semi-auto firearms. We've still got levers and bolts to hunt with and revolvers to protect ourselves, right? So another year goes by, and it happens again. Crap! Gotta pass another law to appease the anti-gunners. Take away levers and bolts. Hey, we've still got ruger number 1's and shotguns to hunt with, and revolvers to protect ourselves, right? OK. A few years go by and it happens again...That's why I can not get behind any legistation that is just to appease anti-gunners and in reality won't do anything to protect our kids. What will protect our kids? Teachers with guns will, armed guards/police officers will, metal detectors that will alert those armed guards/police will. Removing the gun free zone so that a Dad or Mom who has a CHL and volunteers at the school will. That's where we need to focus.

AGREE up

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 09:59 PM

up

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 10:41 PM

Good stuff, on the ar’s they could make it a felony to own one. And then post $2500 reward to someone who turns someone in. In my type of job, I would be screwed and have to turn them in. There is a large voting mass growing every day in ny, Chicago, la, Houston, Dallas, they may eventually get the best of us. Realistically, the litigation costs the government could make me incur; could make me lose the things I have worked for all my life. These attorneys will try to get your land and money. I work against them every day.
Posted By: Littledog

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/21/18 11:36 PM

Something I'd like to understand:
At one time you could get on an airliner and the cockpit door would remain open for the entire flight. At the same time, if you went into a Circle K in downtown Houston or Dallas, the clerk was locked behind six inches of plexi. Then came 9/11 and somebody said wait a minute, we have little or no security for 200 innocent people on board a 100 ton flying bomb but we protect the Circle K cash register like it were the most precious thing on earth.
Today;
Go into a bank - armed security guard. See a Brinks truck - armed security guard. Go to a sporting event - armed security. But go to a school with 1000 innocent children - not even a secure way to maintain access, much less a guard. What do I take from that? Cash is more important than children? Do we need another 9/11 with kids? There's not a gun problem. There's a problem with how serious we want to be about protecting ourselves and our families. Taking away or restricting guns is mis-direction from what really needs to be looked at.
Posted By: breadman

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/22/18 01:00 AM

these are the same people who oppose the death penalty and fight for the rights of the scumbags that commit these crimes ,,,, go figure
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/22/18 03:52 AM

Second Amendment shall not be infringed. I am open to expanding the death penalty
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/22/18 03:53 AM

There is no answer, protect yourself and your family.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/22/18 02:42 PM

A gun free zone is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of concerning gun safety. Was the intent of that law to prevent a mishap from occurring, like accidentally firing your weapon and striking a kid? A kid has a far better chance of getting ran over by a vehicle then something like that happening. People get excited, emotional and then make stupid laws rather than using common sense. There are bad people in this world that the laws don't apply too. But there are a lot more good people in this world and I would like to see them armed.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/22/18 03:32 PM

I understand that we should never make decisions about our freedoms on emotion but we must also understand that the left makes ALL of their political decisions based on emotions and high school age kids fall right into line with that. Why do you think they don't want to have a discussion about securing our schools? Because it would work and remove that political talking point from their narrative thus costing them at the ballot box. Why do you think they don't want to have a discussion about illegal immigration? Because the solutions being offered would work and that would remove that political talking point from their narrative thus costing them at the ballot box. I really hope Americans, or at least the majority of Americans, can see thru this charade and we come to our senses and realize what's really going on here, less freedom for us and more power for them.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/23/18 03:51 AM

If you vote for even one person on the anti-gun side of the aisle you deserve to have your firearms taken and be jailed for daring to support the 2nd Amendment. Look at the laws being passed routinely in California and realize it's only a decade or so away if we falter.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/23/18 02:54 PM

Pledge your allegiance in school, bring prayer back to school. When everyone cried "Where was God during these school shootings?" God replied "I am not allowed in there.."
Posted By: fway

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/24/18 12:28 AM

As a father grandfather and hunter I don't see how any new legislation or laws will stop this stupidity. I'd guess most people that have never been around guns look at the design of the ar type gun and it looks evil. What most don't understand is that a 12 gauge semi or pump loaded with buck shot would, in my opinion do more damage than can be comprehended in a crowded hallway as in that school. All any new laws would do is to give the anti gun lobby a reason to push harder the next time this terrible act happens....and it will. Sad to say it will.
Posted By: howl

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/25/18 12:39 AM

http://www.king5.com/article/news/local/...n/281-522336489

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Latest-News-Wires/2013/1106/School-safety-Use-guard-dogs-not-guns
Posted By: fishon1017

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 03:47 AM

2nd amendment doesn't give us the right to own battle field weapons, supreme court has made that ruling. Congress has extended that for semi automatic weapons but congress can revere it. NRA is not America but a lobby group for gun manufactures.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 04:34 AM

Originally Posted By: fishon1017
2nd amendment doesn't give us the right to own battle field weapons, supreme court has made that ruling. Congress has extended that for semi automatic weapons but congress can revere it. NRA is not America but a lobby group for gun manufactures.

Define “battlefield weapons”. Don’t forget to include 1911’s, and every other bolt action rifle the military has ever used.
Posted By: 6InARowMakeItGo

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 04:25 PM

Libtard?
Posted By: texretvet

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 04:57 PM

You couldn’t be more wrong. That is exactly what the 2A gives us the right to own.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: texretvet

You couldn’t be more wrong. That is exactly what the 2A gives us the right to own.

Although it does not specify the intent is to allow the people to meet an overreaching and tyrannical government with like force. Here have been some reasonableness in the types of weapons but out side of nuclear and some bombs, almost anything is allowed. That is the way it was supposed to be.

Just like the reasonableness for the 1A. Can’t go yelling fire or inciting riot with the intent to harm.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 06:07 PM

You are very wrong.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 06:36 PM

There’s nothing that can be done. In a free society some innocent people are going to die. Accept it and move on.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/27/18 08:25 PM

At the time of the writing of the 2nd amendment, "battlefield rifles" were the same muskets that they used to hunt with. Using your logic, they wrote the 2nd amendment to ban pretty much all the rifles that people owned at the time. Battlefield weapons have always trickled over into civilian use. Bolt actions were once battlefield rifles. Lever actions were once battlefield rifles. Single shot rifles were once battlefield rifles. And one day, the AR-15/m-4 rifle will be replaced by something that is more technologically advanced, and at that time, an AR-15 will no longer be a battlefield. At that point, will it be OK to own one?

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/28/18 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: texretvet

You couldn't be more wrong. That is exactly what the 2A gives us the right to own.

The 2nd amendment gives citizens the individual liberty to defend themselves, their property, and neighbors from any and all that would infringe on their sacred property rights.....to include the government! Has nothing to do with hunting....that is a liburd deflection used to undermine and erode your constitutional rights.....

Yet they claim you have a right to healthcare, food, housing, and now a living wage....all at the expense of the producers.....the reason they want your guns is so they can confiscate your property and redistribute it to their voting block. The left has to have a victim-based underclass in order to exist. When the citizenry doesn't provide a large enough group to support their demands for power they import them...legally (muzzies from the middle east) and illegally (whatever that can get across the border).

The left has demonstrated over and over that you have no rights to your one wealth/property and label you selfish (plus a long list of -ists and -phobics) while championing the "rights" to your property for those here illegally or "underprivileged" like the middle eastern imports....

Oh, and don't forget that the only reason you have any property/wealth in the first place is your white privilege....

It wasn't about the failings of the FBI....
It wasn't about the failings of the sheriffs office...
It wasn't about the failings of the public school system...

It's the fault of the NRA...and the NRA code is you and me.....law abiding citizens!

They make the discussion about the guns because they want to take them away from you so that they can control you!

Jes my 2cents
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/28/18 12:33 AM

On the money Jes.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/28/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Thundervee

Libtard?

Yes indeed. Go back to the fishing forum.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 02/28/18 11:49 PM

Minimum age of 21 to purchase any firearm. Treat AR-type firearms just like noise suppressors. Anyone of legal age can own one after submitting the necessary paperwork and paying a fee.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/01/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Minimum age of 21 to purchase any firearm. Treat AR-type firearms just like noise suppressors. Anyone of legal age can own one after submitting the necessary paperwork and paying a fee.

1. What about under 21 folks who have military or LE service (there are circumstances in which a peace officer can be under 21).
2. I agree AR’s should be treated like suppressors, provided neither requires any stamp, extra paperwork, or extra fees.

Like I said in an earlier post, neither of these things will fix a stinking thing and they take attention/resources away from the real problems. You’re trying to fix things that aren’t broke.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/01/18 04:15 PM

To fix the problem...

Fix the family, the basic unit of society!

Husbands and wives stay together and raise your children. Teach them to work, to pray and read the scriptures, to be respectful, to go outside, and that they have a responsibility to become a valuable member of society. Above all, parents lead by example! We have got to get back to the Christian values this country was built on if we expect change. All of the porno, and gay marriage, and drug and alcohol abuse, and just general disrespect for values in general have taken us to an ugly place in this country.

Killings have nothing to do with guns, they are just the tool these very messed up people are using to commit these acts of terrorism! No gun law will fix or defend against a society that has no values!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: BassBuster1
To fix the problem...

Fix the family, the basic unit of society!

Husbands and wives stay together and raise your children. Teach them to work, to pray and read the scriptures, to be respectful, to go outside, and that they have a responsibility to become a valuable member of society. Above all, parents lead by example! We have got to get back to the Christian values this country was built on if we expect change. All of the porno, and gay marriage, and drug and alcohol abuse, and just general disrespect for values in general have taken us to an ugly place in this country.

Killings have nothing to do with guns, they are just the tool these very messed up people are using to commit these acts of terrorism! No gun law will fix or defend against a society that has no values!

Too late for any mass interest in that approach. But it could happen soon after an economic collapse or change in government, whichever comes first. Catastrophic events are another possibility.

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 01:44 PM

Interesting how non AR owners come up with these dumb ideas. Just like suppressors that protect your hearing and others around you, let's make it expensive and time consuming before you can protect your hearing. And your the one that belly aches over bow hunters getting special treatment, yet you suggest the same type of regulation for AR owners. Very hypocritical!

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Interesting how non AR owners come up with these dumb ideas. Just like suppressors that protect your hearing and others around you, let's make it expensive and time consuming before you can protect your hearing. And your the one that belly aches over bow hunters getting special treatment, yet you suggest the same type of regulation for AR owners. Very hypocritical!

Agree.....

Idiots abound....
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 02:59 PM

The only item I can somehow get my head around, and not that it can 100% solve everything, is the legal age being 21. Yes, I get that 18 year olds can be in the service, but I will add that those individuals serving will have had psychological screening, proper training, and under supervision.

All of the rest are just bandaids that don't cure much of anything - except, hardened schools - it is immediate, effective, and will intimidate the cowards.
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 03:58 PM

Only one shooter out of all of them was under 21 if I am not mistaken. Guns are not the reason for the shootings! Are we going to regulate Home Depot Rental trucks? How about airplanes? How about fertilizer? How about pressure cookers? They were all tools used to carry out terror. The regulate guns argument is silly but the media and libs love it! How about we get to the root of the problem and promote faith and family and values!

My daughter is a teacher and a teacher who can shoot! I also agree with "hardening the schools" now!

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 08:10 PM

I say no regulation, put a gun in everybody's hand that is 18 and older except for convicted felons and such... Make it to where you'd be nuts to try and do something unless you are willing to die for it which you most likely will sooner than planned.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/02/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Very well stated and I agree wholeheartedly..... flag

Agreed wholeheartedly Sir.
Posted By: Cinch

Re: So what's the answer OR Is there and answer. - 03/03/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted By: unclebubba

AGREE up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum