Texas Hunting Forum

Too much ammo?

Posted By: Cool Mo D

Too much ammo? - 07/24/16 03:37 PM

A friend of a friend ordered 1K of 223 ammo. After ammo arrived, DHS showed up and asked guy WTH are you doing with so much ammo? Anyone else? Thoughts.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/24/16 03:47 PM

That isn't very much ammo for DHS to be concerned with. Did they want to look around his place? That is rather strange and alarming to be happening in east tx. .
Posted By: Earl

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/24/16 04:06 PM

No offense but I call BS. I'd need more details and facts other than something from a friend of a friend. I won't say how much ammo I have but I often sell thousands of rounds on this and other boards if I need a little money and - what I sell, isn't a drop in the bucket of what I have. I've never had any visits or calls. And there are people out there that make my stash look like Walmart shelves after Sandy Hook.

Not to say checks like this won't happen - my fear is they will one day, but I've not heard of them yet and there is no current law that says one has "too much".
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/24/16 08:45 PM

I would say your friend's friend has an active imagination. I know people who order more than that pretty regularly and no one has ever checked them.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/24/16 09:20 PM

People order pallets of ammo its none of their business what its for.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/25/16 01:03 AM

If that is true, they need to set outside of Academy and question everyone that is buying a bulk box.
Unless your friend's friend has a reason for someone to be watching him.

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/26/16 12:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Earl
No offense but I call BS. I'd need more details and facts other than something from a friend of a friend. I won't say how much ammo I have but I often sell thousands of rounds on this and other boards if I need a little money and - what I sell, isn't a drop in the bucket of what I have. I've never had any visits or calls. And there are people out there that make my stash look like Walmart shelves after Sandy Hook.

Not to say checks like this won't happen - my fear is they will one day, but I've not heard of them yet and there is no current law that says one has "too much".

That was my first thought. Thanks all.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/26/16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Earl

Agreed, I know a few folks that carry more inventory in their home than any local sporting goods store has on hand at one time. Never been bothered.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Too much ammo? - 07/26/16 03:41 PM

BS

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/02/16 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: ntxtrapper
BS

Thank you.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/07/16 03:37 AM

Sometimes those visits happen as part of an investigation. We had a pizza chain up here involved in arms trafficking. The owners and employees were buying the two per week limit of handguns and also buying a bunch privately. They had the firearms packaged up in pizza boxes and had a container full headed for somewhere in the Middle East. They got caught by customs officials, and a huge investigation resulted with many people being contacted about their private sales to make statements for evidence in the trial.
Posted By: 91cavgt

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/09/16 08:47 PM

I have had friends that have had visits from dhs after large ammo purchases (more than 5k rounds at one place), but they were ex military and the positions they held made them be scrutinized closely for any large purchase like this.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/12/16 10:54 PM

Everyone knows the only time you can have to much ammo is when you are swimming.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/13/16 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: 91cavgt
I have had friends that have had visits from dhs after large ammo purchases (more than 5k rounds at one place), but they were ex military and the positions they held made them be scrutinized closely for any large purchase like this.

I believe it is possible but I really have a hard time believing that. How can anyone know what you purchase
I have made several purchases of 3000-5000 rounds at different shops. I paid cash and walked out. There is no way anyone knows that I have it. If the government is watching ammo purchases, we have big problems.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/14/16 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I believe it is possible but I really have a hard time believing that. How can anyone know what you purchase
I have made several purchases of 3000-5000 rounds at different shops. I paid cash and walked out. There is no way anyone knows that I have it. If the government is watching ammo purchases, we have big problems.

Perhaps a credit or debit card purchase? Or perhaps they are on another list already? I have never bought more that a 1000 rounds at any time, but maybe they have people on a list of possible problems. I seem to remember the government saying that veterans were the biggest threat to the country. ( Paraphrasing of course)
Posted By: passthru

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/14/16 11:58 AM

I don't blame the government for being concerned with large ammo purchases. Many may be legit guys doing business. But I bet they find several who are up to no good supplying it to folks who they shouldn't. It's like an officer asking me for my DL or LTC. If I'm legal I have nothing to fear showing it.
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/14/16 04:20 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
I don't blame the government for being concerned with large ammo purchases. Many may be legit guys doing business. But I bet they find several who are up to no good supplying it to folks who they shouldn't. It's like an officer asking me for my DL or LTC. If I'm legal I have nothing to fear showing it.

Mkay.........where are you from?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/15/16 02:37 AM

Supplying it to people who shouldn't have it? Who would that be? Plus there are no background checks for ammo purchases. So I don't really see the black market for ammo being that large when any tom dick or Harry can walk into Walmart and buy as much as they want or better yet buy it online anonymously.
Posted By: westexhunt

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/17/16 04:18 AM

If I could afford it I would order shipping containers full of ammo every week. It's my own damn business what I do with it. Is there a legal ammo order limit? who regulates that? who enforces it? What is the penalty for having too much ammo? What now, am I "violating" an illegal executive order? What a load of horse $hi+ I blame the govt for most things that are wrong.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/17/16 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Tbar

Mkay.........where are you from?

Fort Worth. And it doesn't matter. Where you're from doesn't make you above the law. And there are many states that are much less restrictive tan Texas as far as gun laws. If you are buying large amounts of ammunition or guns and selling them to gangs, drug cartels and folks of that ilk than whether you bought it legally or not you deserve to be hung out to dry. This kind of thing happens every day. If I buy a pallet of ammunition and an ATF agent, or even the local fire cheif, wants to ask a few questions I do not have to be offended by it. Now if they take unwarranted legs action regarding it then there will be an issue.

Asking a few questions is not an infringement on your constitutional rights. The same people that want to cry foul on this sort of thing are the same ones who will attack the government when they don't stop a tragedy from occurring.
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/21/16 04:27 AM

This is either total BS or there is some missing info that relates to the visit. It has never happened to me or anybody I know nor have I ever heard of such a thing.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/22/16 06:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
This is either total BS or there is some missing info that relates to the visit. It has never happened to me or anybody I know nor have I ever heard of such a thing.

I was thinking this very thing. Either that or something has changed recently.

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/22/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

They purchased the ammo online due to a sale and got it shipped to them.

Re: Too much ammo? - 08/22/16 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

Supplying it to people who shouldn't have it? Who would that be? Plus there are no background checks for ammo purchases. So I don't really see the black market for ammo being that large when any tom dick or Harry can walk into Walmart and buy as much as they want or better yet buy it online anonymously.

You do know that you have it backwards, right? If you want to be annonymous, pay for ammo in cash at a brick and mortor store. Buying anything online leaves a trail that attaches your purchase to your home and to you.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/01/16 10:05 PM

It happened too a friend's ex-wife's sister's daughter's boyfriend's brother once. roflmao

I can't believe you guys are even acknowledging something that ludicrous. If the gangs want ammo, they walk into the local sporting goods store and buy it. Period. Why would they pay somebody to buy it for them? Hilarious.

And as for the government checking on someone that made a large purchase by knocking on their door? Seriously? That's the biggest lie I've ever heard.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/01/16 11:29 PM

clap

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/02/16 02:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
It happened too a friend's ex-wife's sister's daughter's boyfriend's brother once. roflmao

I can't believe you guys are even acknowledging something that ludicrous. If the gangs want ammo, they walk into the local sporting goods store and buy it. Period. Why would they pay somebody to buy it for them? Hilarious.

And as for the government checking on someone that made a large purchase by knocking on their door? Seriously? That's the biggest lie I've ever heard.

So are you calling me a lier?

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/06/16 09:59 PM

Let's just say that I've never heard of a single documented incident of anyone being questioned for buying ammunition. Ever. And if you read the posts in this thread you'll see that some others share the same thought. If it were happening it would be all over Fox News. Sean Hannity would love to get hold of that information.

I'm not calling you anything. Let's just say that I won't believe it happened unless I saw definitive proof of it.

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/07/16 11:14 AM

Let's just say that I've never heard of a single documented incident of anyone being questioned for buying ammunition. Ever. And if you read the posts in this thread you'll see that some others share the same thought. If it were happening it would be all over Fox News. Sean Hannity would love to get hold of that information.

I'm not calling you anything. Let's just say that I won't believe it happened unless I saw definitive proof of it.

So just because you have never seen it happen then you don't believe it, am I right?

Have you ever seen a bear crap in the woods?
Posted By: Jasb

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/07/16 12:54 PM

^^^This...but hey cool story bro. yawn

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/08/16 05:39 PM

NOPE. But I can recognize Bull Crap when I read it .......

I gotta ask if you are here just to stir the pot? stir

10 pages of posts and only 3 that were hunting or firearms related makes a person wonder. confused2

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/09/16 03:50 PM

10 pages of posts and only 3 that were hunting or firearms related makes a person wonder. confused2

I think I got a nerve. cheers

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/09/16 04:55 PM

I think I got a nerve. cheers

Nope. Not even close. popcorn

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/09/16 06:47 PM

If you must know, I am a watchman on the wall who also enjoys hunting. Due to how much propaganda we are subject to, there are a LOT of things happening that you and others may never hear about. I am here to keep you guys informed, and because I like this place. It is up to you what you do with the information that I bring here.

So just because you disagree with me or the info I post, that does not mean that you hold the last word when it comes to the truth.

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/09/16 07:22 PM

Glad you shared that with me. sleep2

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/21/16 02:45 PM

Thank you.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Too much ammo? - 10/27/16 01:39 PM

After reading this entire thread, I am reminded that there will be people wringing their hands and complaining when the next ammo/gun panic hits.

Stuff has been readily available for quite awhile now, so anyone can have whatever they feel is "enough" stock for their situation. I have neither the money nor the inclination to store 50K rounds, but I do intend to ride out the next storm.

If for no other reason than inflation, all hunters/shooters should be well stocked up on ammo and reloading supplies by now. My eyes get opened wide when I see how little I paid for certain types of ammo a few years ago, and it's not going to go down in price......

Marc
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Too much ammo? - 11/04/16 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose

I was thinking this very thing. Either that or something has changed recently.

Yeah, seems somebody here would have heard something about it though. You know we're pretty quick to pick up on matters of this nature. Or maybe the THF collective actually lives under a rock.

About three weeks back I made another purchase, part of which I posted (http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6495456/Re:_A_box_on_the_porch_today..). Total of 4500 rounds.

Nobody visited me.
Posted By: dperk23

Re: Too much ammo? - 11/04/16 01:32 PM

bs
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Too much ammo? - 11/04/16 01:36 PM

If DHS came knocking and asking what I bought 'so much' ammo for, I would tell them the truth. I buy ammo because you can melt the copper down to make counterfeit pennies.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Too much ammo? - 12/15/16 06:38 AM

Changing your settings and you'll get 100 posts per page. trout
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Too much ammo? - 12/15/16 01:59 PM

I won't even buy ammo unless it's at least 1,000 rounds.
Posted By: BuckshotBuddy

Re: Too much ammo? - 02/03/17 02:22 AM

The only time I believe someone has too much ammo is when they don't have anymore room to store it.
Posted By: dbgsig

Re: Too much ammo? - 02/07/17 12:18 AM

easy answer. None of your business

Re: Too much ammo? - 02/13/17 10:33 PM

Ok, Ok, Ok. duel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum