Texas Hunting Forum

Odd signage location

Posted By: Exbellicus

Odd signage location - 01/30/16 02:11 PM

My apartment complex just posted 30.06 and 30.07 signs in the entrance to the complex as soon as you turn off the main road. It's nowhere near any of the buildings, including my own or the building with the sales office. What does this sign mean for me (I live in a different building) as well as those who live in the same building as the sales office?

Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Odd signage location - 01/30/16 02:15 PM

I assume it suppose to mean you can't carry on the property.

Not sure if they can do that since it is where you live. I would think it would have to be part you lease agreement if they didn't allow weapons.

Never seen a sign like that on a property entrance, only seen it on buildings.

I will see what others say.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Odd signage location - 01/30/16 02:36 PM

It's meaningless. They could be staking out the whole state with that sign if it was legal. Has to be near an entranceway.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Odd signage location - 01/30/16 02:42 PM

I've heard of those signs popping up at many other apartment complexes. I expect someone to ask for an AG opinion if they haven't already. My opinion is it won't fly in the end to ban carry on the entire property. I do think they could probably get away with posting signs at the office, but not much else. If they are allowed to do it, I would think they would be forced to allow people to get out of their leases free if they choose to move because of it.
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Odd signage location - 01/30/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
I assume it suppose to mean you can't carry on the property.

Not sure if they can do that since it is where you live. I would think it would have to be part you lease agreement if they didn't allow weapons.

Never seen a sign like that on a property entrance, only seen it on buildings.

I will see what others say.

Yeah I couldn't care less about what they think as far as a lease violation goes. I don't OC anyways, so it's not like I'm going to get caught concealed carrying by one of their leasing agent chicks.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Odd signage location - 01/30/16 03:19 PM

They should be liable for the cost of the move as well, if someone chooses to.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Odd signage location - 01/30/16 10:01 PM

They cannot stop you in the parking lots, parking garages, or sidewalks, you are the person in charge of the property you lease! Now commons areas they may have grounds. I also would wander about apartments you have to enter the building and use hallways to reach your apartment.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Odd signage location - 01/31/16 10:44 PM

License not Licence

I would assume that would make the sign void also
Posted By: DannyB

Re: Odd signage location - 02/02/16 12:21 AM

Here is a recent email from the Texas Association of Realtors

https://www.texasrealestate.com/advice-for-texas-realtors/article/can-landlords-prohibit-handguns

I don't see how anyone can prevent you from protecting yourself at your own residence. Some apartments can be especially dangerous. Yours may be Taj Mahal, but a relative of mine got robbed at gun point at his semi-decent Dallas apartment in the past year.

I think the comments section under that article makes the Texas Association of Realtors editorial staff look a little uninformed, to say the least.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Odd signage location - 02/04/16 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
License not Licence

I would assume that would make the sign void also

Yep. If it is not the exact wording, it is meaningless.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Odd signage location - 02/04/16 06:44 PM

Time to move - that's a WELCOME sign for crooks/thugs.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Odd signage location - 02/06/16 01:37 PM

Besides the misspell, that's a really strange sentence at the end of the first, black lettered part of the sign: "may not either enter. . ."
Posted By: Maddog

Re: Odd signage location - 02/11/16 07:45 PM

It looks like they want to make themselves feel better. IMHO that sign is not legal.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Odd signage location - 02/11/16 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: mikei
Besides the misspell, that's a really strange sentence at the end of the first, black lettered part of the sign: "may not either enter. . ."

That Last sentience bothered me as well, the word property should have been premises (in my opinion) i looked it up and that is correct. Here is a copy and paste from the new version of the law.

"Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun";
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum