Texas Hunting Forum

What happens with CHL/Open carry if ...

Posted By: vm788

What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 03:55 AM

So the question came up what EMS personnel do with CHL/open carry patients. Do EMS allow patients to hang on to them until they get to hospital? If so, who assumes responsibility then? Cannot carry patient in hospital packing. If not allowed on ambulance, who assumes responsibility at the scene? Law enforcement? Wrecker services?
Posted By: LoneStarSon

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 04:03 AM

Should be law enforcement...dang sure wouldn't give it to a tow truck driver.
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 04:06 AM

Since there is usually an officer present when there is an EMS run, I would assume the officer would take possession of the weapon and turn it in to the property room for safekeeping. Or the patient could release it to a friend or family member at the scene.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: N.La.Beagler
Since there is usually an officer present when there is an EMS run, I would assume the officer would take possession of the weapon and turn it in to the property room for safekeeping. Or the patient could release it to a friend or family member at the scene.

Not sure where you work but the majority of EMS runs where I am there isn't an officer present unless there's an accident or an offense
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 05:22 AM

I dunno how this is normally handled but figured I'd share this story....last year I sold my bay boat. Guys came to look at boat and we started talking (knew them from work). I was tinkering with the boat and some how the conversation got changed to Dad's and heart attacks. I said "yeh my Dad died of one when he was 60". Oldest feller there said "Yeh my Dad had one a few years ago too. We were talking and he just fell to the ground. Called 911, off to the hospital. They took him in and was in there for what seemed liked an eternity. Then a cute young nurse came out and said Mr ***** we are in the process of giving your father X rays and may need an MRI or Cat Scan etc...I just wanted to let you know that your Dad IS PACKING! (You'd have to know this man, he's about as country as it gets). He said HELL YEH my Dad is packing it runs in the FAMILY. He said she got embarrassed and said SIR, he is REALLY packing! He said HELL YEH I DONE TOLD YOU IT RUNS IN THE FAMILY!! Said she turned red, laughed, and then told him sir what I'm trying to say is your Dad has a gun in his pocket. He said yeh he carries that Derringer everywhere he goes. How bout you just give it to me and I'll go put it in the truck". They gave it to him and he went outside and put it away, old man also recovered well and asked first thing where his gun was when he got out of surgery. roflmao
Posted By: Grizz

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Not sure where you work but the majority of EMS runs where I am there isn't an officer present unless there's an accident or an offense

Same here. If EMS here ran across a gun they would request an officer to take care of it.
Posted By: LFD2037

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/19/16 06:22 AM

PD responds to a very small portion of our calls (wreck, assault or a med call pertaining to an infant/adolescent) . If PD was not on scene, I think I'd ask them if I could secure the weapon (in our med vault on-board the ambulance). I don't have the right to ask for his LTC ID so if he denied I guess I'd get PD en route code 3. This is a very good question & I'm going to run it by my EMS Chief and/or Asst. Chief next shift.
Posted By: vm788

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/21/16 03:21 AM

Please let me know what they say. I have posed same question to my coordinator. Personally he feels removing we are infringing on their rights. I disagree for safety concerns. He is checking in with local RAC and will see what happening statewide.
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/21/16 08:02 PM

At my dept pd is called if not already on scene and they take possession! Sorry but someone's firearm is not going in the ambulance with me since we are not armed! I don't feel it is an infringement of their rights since they are now in our care! The same as a hospital!

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/21/16 08:29 PM

Also if a patient has an altered LOC or we are administering drugs they don't need to be in possesion of a firearm! ems safety is first priority! If the patient refuses to to give up their firearm, then at minimum an officer will be in the medic with us!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/22/16 01:09 AM

Skinner, neat story.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/22/16 02:23 AM

How do they currently handle it. CHL isn't new. Open carry doesn't change anything.

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/22/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
How do they currently handle it. CHL isn't new. Open carry doesn't change anything.

We do what I mentioned above for chl or open carry. PD is always involved. It's our policy
Posted By: passthru

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/25/16 04:43 PM

You ain't getting my gun. I'll just walk. walking
Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 01/30/16 02:27 PM

If you're my patient on the ambulance and you are either CC or OC and I don't consider you unstable or a threat, I'm not going to say anything. If I consider you a threat, PD will be called out (they don't respond in my city by default unless it's an assault, CPR, etc) and let them handle you.

Now, if we're going to the hospital (almost all of them in the area have 30.06 near the ambulance bay doors, I'm going to inform you the area is 30.06/07 and highly suggest you allow hospital security to take possession of your firearm and store in in their safe. I will absolutely not take possession of your weapon (now I'm violating my city policy and could lose my job). If you don't allow hospital security to secure your gun that's your choice, but that becomes your court fees, because I will be notifying the hospital security before I take you into their doors that you're armed but not considered a threat, and let them do their thing.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 02/18/16 04:08 AM

Has anyone come up with solid answers on this topic?
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: What happens with CHL/Open carry if ... - 02/19/16 05:46 AM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
Has anyone come up with solid answers on this topic?

Yes. There are way too many 30.06 and 30.07 "gun free" sanctuaries.

"Shall not be infringed" does not mean "unless you are in a certain place".

I EARNED my right to personal protection by being a law-abiding CITIZEN. I am more vetted than many of our political "leaders".
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum