Texas Hunting Forum

Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order

Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 10/11/15 01:56 PM

What constitution, what congress? Just act as a dictator and effectively ban as many guns as possible. Why doesn't he initiate research into mind-altering drug dispensing to mentally ill individuals? That's the common theme on all these mass shootings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...4f92_story.html
Posted By: 91cavgt

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 10/11/15 07:58 PM

I didn't see anything in that article that said anything about banning guns. I did see where they are trying to limit who can sell guns, legally. But since when did law breakers obey laws?
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 01:50 PM

News conference this morning where executive order will be presented. Not a gun ban, just whittling away our 2nd amend. rights. This will hurt both gun shows & individuals selling guns and do absolutely nothing to deter violent acts. There will be something in the order to address mentally ill folks, but nothing to address pharma companies and phycho-creating drugs they push.
Posted By: wall8053

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 02:46 PM

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house-bill/4269/text

http://blog.princelaw.com/2016/01/04/atf-publishes-final-rule-in-relation-to-atf-41p/

For your reading pleasure. It appears changes are going to be made on how and/or by who can transfer a weapon legally. By the time all is said and done every firearm transfer will be performed through an FFL. Even one passed down from your dad or grandfather.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: wall8053
By the time all is said and done every firearm transfer will be performed through an FFL.

^^^
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 05:36 PM

I am not sure his fight is outright banning of guns. In the whitehouse.gov website it lists what he is looking to propose.
I think the focus is goning to be on medical/health professionals, hospitals, local law enforcement, insurance companies, etc..... reporting into the NICS any and all occurances of violence or mental health issues. I could also see them include reporting of certain prescriptions that could be deemed for depression or other things regardless of how those mess are being used or what they are prescribed for.

The next step in that is going to be preemptive confiscation as we are seeing in California.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 10:39 PM

I listened to the President's speech today, and really all I saw was him pandering to his base.

1. Internet sales requiring a background check - They already do, unless both buyer and seller are both residents within the same state. If they are within the same state, the transaction falls under state laws. I don't think the EO changes this, as the President is part of the executive branch, not the legislative branch. Only the legislative branch has the power to create law, and these are already on the books as law.

2. Being in the business - This is already defined by federal statute. Basically, if you are not profiting and contributing to your livelihood from the sale of guns, you are not "in the business"... he just read the existing law.

3. I am not knowledgeable enough to speak on the NFA items. I understand that the CLEO will be notified, but it appears that the ATF will do that, not the individual or the trust who is obtaining the stamp. It does appear that there are changes though regarding the trust.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 10:42 PM

Are these things immediately enforceable? Specifically the trust?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/05/16 11:40 PM

I'm beginning to wonder what behaviors will eventually become justification for citizens to have their firearms confiscated due to mental health issues. If you make a strong comment on FB or some web forum, will action be taken after someone reports it? Just seems like a bar that could be easily set according to political convenience.

Or worse, are we headed towards the days when a judge will determine if you have the mental stability necessary to own a firearm? Granted, there are those who don't. However, as was the case during McCarthyism, it sure seems like a system ready for abuse.
Posted By: deadlast2004

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/06/16 04:20 AM

I kinda wonder about " gifted or given " guns. I noticed he stated it said in the business and " profiting or contributing to your livelihood". I have never had a relative charge me for a gifted firearm. I also noticed it said gunshots and internet. What if it is found Thru a friend " not on the internet" and not transferred at a gun show? Sounds loose to me. Besides it does not take effect for 30 days after it is published and it hasn't been published yet.
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/06/16 06:31 AM

The only ones supporting Obama in this are hard core Democrats and the people that hope to profit off the new executive orders.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/06/16 10:36 AM

Hopefully a Federal Judge will order a stop to this, just like when a Federal Judge in Texas stopped the DACA/DAPA by executive order for illegal aliens in Febrary 2015.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/07/16 12:08 PM

This is a real book

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Obama - Ban Guns by Executive Order - 01/08/16 08:46 PM

So let me make sure I understand this correctly.

The same Obama administration that views organized and well armed militias as being the cornerstone of its efforts to overthrow the Syrian government, believes Americans should have fewer guns?

Yes, the Founding Fathers were some of the wisest men who have ever lived.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum