Texas Hunting Forum

Finishing kitchen cabinets

Posted By: Nolanco

Finishing kitchen cabinets - 01/27/24 03:27 PM

I thought I would paint these hickory cabinets that I bought from Sutherlands, but even though the hickory is not fully stain grade, I can't bring myself to cover it up. Anyone have suggestions on which product to apply for a single-coat finish? Most of my experience is with wipe-on, wipe-off Watco and Min-Wax products.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 01/27/24 05:04 PM

They sure are pretty

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 01/28/24 08:17 PM

Well after doing more research, I think I will go with MinWax gel stain and top with their wipe-on water-based polyurethane.
Posted By: Western

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 01/30/24 04:50 PM

Something like Rubio monocoat oil plus 2c would likely work as well. It is made for hardwood floors, but has become popular with folks making table and wood counter tops.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 01/31/24 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Western
Something like Rubio monocoat oil plus 2c would likely work as well. It is made for hardwood floors, but has become popular with folks making table and wood counter tops.

All I'm using now, a little expensive but provides a great finish and it's so easy to use.

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 01/31/24 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Southtexas36
Originally Posted by Western

All I'm using now, a little expensive but provides a great finish and it's so easy to use.

Yes sir and I like it 's not as temp sensitive. I bet on cabinets, it would last for ever and lets the natural grain through. Has a conditioner you can buy for it, in case it ever needs a fresh up

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 02/02/24 07:26 PM

Well I have started with the Minwax Gel, but will sure keep an eye out for the Rubio next time around. Looks like a great product. Once you mix in the accelerant, how long do you have before it "goes off"?

Re: Finishing kitchen cabinets - 02/03/24 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Nolanco
Well I have started with the Minwax Gel, but will sure keep an eye out for the Rubio next time around. Looks like a great product. Once you mix in the accelerant, how long do you have before it "goes off"?

Up to 6 hrs! It is a great product and goes a looooong way. It is a semi gloss, but if wood is sanded correctly, you can use a second coat and buff the hell out of it with the white pads, trick is to let it set for a very short time, then remove all you can with a lint free towel or buffing pads. You want only what has soaked into the surface to remain, you cant' really over do that part.

The accelerator cuts the cure time by over half in my experience, but you don't have to mix it in if you don't want to and don't mind waiting a week for use. I always use the accelerator, fact, used a batch on walnut end tables. mixes 3/1
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum