Texas Hunting Forum

Update - grease in shredder gearbox

Posted By: 603Country

Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/20/23 12:54 AM

Just thought I’d mention that the long term use of grease in my shredder gearbox has worked out great. I have a small dipstick to check the level every now and then, and I’m not losing any grease. It’s a mix of John Deere Corn head grease and Mystic red grease. You guys saved me over $1000 that I’d have paid for a new gearbox and labor. So…free beer here, but you have to come here for it.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/20/23 01:44 AM

up
Posted By: Tru_texan36

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/20/23 02:16 AM

Never thought of using grease! Awesome.

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/20/23 01:59 PM

The mix of the soupy Corn Head grease and the Mystic Red grease seems to be just right. Good for lubrication and too thick to leak out.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/20/23 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 603Country
The mix of the soupy Corn Head grease and the Mystic Red grease seems to be just right. Good for lubrication and too thick to leak out.

Any particular ratio you recommend? 50/50?

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/20/23 03:46 PM

I can only guess, but 50/50 sounds about right.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/22/23 07:07 PM

Gives me an idea for my post hole auger gearbox, it leaks like a sieve with gear oil only and hopefully can put it back in use with the grease.

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 10/22/23 07:29 PM

I used the John Deere Corn Head grease first, but it ran out, though slower than the gear oil. Somebody on the forum had suggested the Mystic Red grease, and I had some. The mix of the two seems about right (accidentally of course) - thicker than one but thinner than the other.
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Update - grease in shredder gearbox - 11/05/23 02:13 AM

Need to try that in my tiller.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum