Texas Hunting Forum

Gear swap?

Posted By: redchevy

Gear swap? - 10/06/17 08:31 PM

Anyone ever done a ring/pinion swap on a late model 4x4 with IFS? Is the front dif vastly different than the rear? I cant seem to find much info on the fronts.

Ram has a relatively new dif and it pretty much seem like people think its taboo to change them out. I'm ok with the 3.55 but they are on the verge of being too high as it is and I'm wanting to put a little bigger tire on when these are shot and don't want to make it any worse.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Gear swap? - 10/07/17 02:42 PM

I know youre mechanically inclined, and so am I. But I think I would hire a shop I trusted to do that work. I bet there's adjustments in there that have to be just so.

Ram is now installing 3.42 gears, in 3/4 ton trucks, which is plain silly. 3.73 is the way to go!

Re: Gear swap? - 10/07/17 02:45 PM

Also, there's websites that should help you decide on ratio. Input tire size, transmission gear ratios, and it'll spit out RPMs for a given gear ratio. 4.10 might be better for you, but I can't say that with authority. I ran 3.73 and 34" tires, and did just fine from a dead stop heavy loaded, up to 75 mph.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Gear swap? - 10/07/17 05:02 PM

Actually not that d8fficult. Did a buddys 16 tacoma 4wd. Switched to 4.56 from 3.73 hardest part was removing front diff. Thay are called clamshell diffs. Will need a press, dial indicator and a special attachment for dial indicator to measure back lash in the clam shell diff.

Re: Gear swap? - 10/09/17 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Also, there's websites that should help you decide on ratio. Input tire size, transmission gear ratios, and it'll spit out RPMs for a given gear ratio. 4.10 might be better for you, but I can't say that with authority. I ran 3.73 and 34" tires, and did just fine from a dead stop heavy loaded, up to 75 mph.

They had 2 factor offerings, 3.55's and 3.92's. The 3.92's were not common on lots so I got 3.55's. I think I'm going to try and go back with 3.92's. I have an acquaintance who has all the tools to do it and has done a few that would probably lend me the tools and for a case of beer and some bbq would probably come help too.

Have heard prices as high as $4,000 from the dealer to 1200/axle from other shops. Finding out what it would run from a shop that is owned by a distant relative, but not holding my breath on that one. I would like to do it for the experience and fun of it.
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: Gear swap? - 10/09/17 04:12 PM

Getting the preload on the pinion is the key. If its not within tolerance, you will shell it out pretty quick. I would at least have this done by a professional.

Re: Gear swap? - 10/09/17 04:37 PM

Setting pinion preload is a given.

Re: Gear swap? - 10/09/17 04:37 PM

Setting pinion preload is a given.

Re: Gear swap? - 10/09/17 04:45 PM

Times like these is when I miss having my beater car, but my brother has an extra I can bum for bit if I need to.

If I was single and had my beater still I would probably be done with it already grin
Posted By: HOF

Re: Gear swap? - 10/15/17 03:35 PM

Pm Texas lefty. He may be able to point you in the right direction.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Gear swap? - 10/18/17 06:03 PM

I did a Chevy 14 bolt in hs, 3.08 to 4.56 with a Detroit locker. Rented all the good stuff, dial indicator etc. checked it afterwards with the paint making sure the pinion teeth marked evenly on the diff, whole nine yards. It chattered like a mf'er still

Re: Gear swap? - 10/19/17 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramball36
I did a Chevy 14 bolt in hs, 3.08 to 4.56 with a Detroit locker. Rented all the good stuff, dial indicator etc. checked it afterwards with the paint making sure the pinion teeth marked evenly on the diff, whole nine yards. It chattered like a mf'er still

Your spozed to put gear oil in it...
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Gear swap? - 10/19/17 02:02 PM

All we had was karo syrup

Re: Gear swap? - 10/19/17 02:17 PM

All we had was karo syrup

Dang the luck.

That's backerds on viscosity.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Gear swap? - 10/20/17 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Your spozed to put gear oil in it...

That's funny!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum