Texas Hunting Forum

Staining a fence

Posted By: Cow_doc.308

Staining a fence - 01/28/17 04:38 AM

I've got to stain my fence I built last summer. Few questions.

Anyone have a stain/sealer they recommend over others?

I had a guy tell me he stained a fence with a pump up sprayer. Can this be done effectively or should I just go ahead and rent an airless sprayer?

Any other tips?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Staining a fence - 01/28/17 05:07 AM

I used a pump sprayer, that advice was from guy that installed the fence. The brand of stain/finish was Olympic Maximum.
Posted By: Western

Re: Staining a fence - 01/28/17 10:35 AM

Pump sprayer is the way to go unless you use boiled linseed oil. I have use Thompson's water seal with great performance out of a pump-up sprayer. Tried Linseed oil and it would be better from a airless I think (especially for the cost of LO). Most folks I have seen, also use a pump up sprayer
Posted By: brent1

Re: Staining a fence - 01/28/17 01:20 PM

Ready seal is quality ,forgiving product for a diy
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Staining a fence - 01/28/17 03:27 PM

All the professional companies I see have airless, they wet down the house when they get close to it to keep the overspray off.

I did my fence one time, I used a airless, a pump seems like a bunch of pumping to do.
Posted By: Big Will

Re: Staining a fence - 01/30/17 11:34 PM

HD and lowes both carry a Wagner power stainer. $100. I use it on smaller jobs that aren't worth the hassle of the spray rig.
As far as a pump sprayer I watched a guy use one and it was spotty. Looked bad when he was done.
Wood Defender is what I've used for years and recently switched to Ready Seal for cost and availability reasons. Both are great products.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Staining a fence - 01/31/17 04:30 AM

Readyseal and Wagner power stainer.

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 12:41 AM

I got ready seal and a $25 pump up sprayer from Lowe's. I'm 3/4 done with the fence and it looks really good. No streaks or spotty appearance. up

I just need the wind to be calm on a day I have time so I can get it finished up.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 01:18 AM

worthless
Posted By: Lazyjack

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 03:16 AM

I have used both methods. I recommend a pump sprayer. But you need a quality sprayer. Plastic tips will not create a fine mist. I used one with a brass tip and a metal pump handle. Don't remember the name, but you get what you pay for.

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 03:43 AM

I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 12:34 PM

What stain did you use? and cost per gallon?

I got some fence stain company wants to charge me $800 to stain my fence, says it will take 21 gallons of stain.

I don't think it would require that much stain

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 09:53 PM

Disregard the mess that is my backyard. It's a work in progress. I used ready seal light oak stain. Boards are pressure treated pine. I put them up last summer so they're pretty dried out by now. I don't remember how many feet of fence it was total. I've used 10 gallons of stain and I'll have to open another 5 gallon can to finish. I paid like $86/can at lowes. It was marked down.

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 11:44 PM

Looks good Sir! cheers
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Staining a fence - 02/05/17 11:48 PM

Beautiful color, up
I am doing my fence this spring, I hope it looks that good. Today I am repairing siding, the house got old suddenly.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Staining a fence - 02/06/17 05:51 AM

The light oak was a good choice looks really nice. up

Re: Staining a fence - 02/06/17 06:02 PM

Thanks guys. I was afraid the light oak was going to be too light but I'm really happy with the color.
Posted By: Big Will

Re: Staining a fence - 02/11/17 04:41 AM

Looks good. You got a smoking deal on the stain too. My cost is $120 otd per 5 gallons.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum