Texas Hunting Forum

Pole barn roof question for the metal framers.

Posted By: Wray

Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 03:46 AM

I'm building up five 50 foot trusses out of 2 7/8 pipe and I would like to overhang the roof on the ends just for appearance. I've already formed a 16" overhang on the truss ends. I've yet to weld 5x3 angle clips for the purlin. Having never worked with metal purlins and associated trim how would you finish out the edges both on the lower sides and the gable end? FYI the building will be 50x90 with 4" pipe poles spaced 22' 6" Thanks for any information. Regards, Tim
Posted By: Western

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 02:58 PM

16" over hang is pretty aggressive, you probably will need to add a false eave under the extension, some pre-made trusses you will see, will have a portion that "hangs down" outside of the wall to build up the eave, if that makes sense.

I use 2"x2" x1/8" angle on my gable ends, ran the full length of the end wall and laying on the purlin ends, then run the end wall panels up and above the angle and cut off using the angle as the pitch guide. The angle gives you a screw point at the top of the end panels. Gable trim is easy and your metal supplier should have what you need, plus don't forget the ridge end cap, the can make it to your roof pitch if it is not a usual pitch.

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 03:03 PM

BTW, they make side wall purlin, where one side is "pitched", this allows the roof panel to sit flat, but the purlin sits vertical with the outside wall panels, more important if you have a steep pitched roof. That way the side panels don't get "sucked in" at the top when screwed in.
Posted By: Paluxy

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
BTW, they make side wall purlin, where one side is "pitched", this allows the roof panel to sit flat, but the purlin sits vertical with the outside wall panels, more important if you have a steep pitched roof. That way the side panels don't get "sucked in" at the top when screwed in.

Eave Strut

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 04:27 PM

Here is a quick photo of the 2x2 angle the way I do it to make better sense, This is my small shop and yes I used reclaimed steel for it grin

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 06:47 PM

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them. The eave strut looks like the way to go on he bottom of the roof, so what goes on the gable end, just a c purlin covering the ends of the zed purlin?

Also, on that eave strut, do they make it for different pitches?

Added on edit. I see that they do, and I'd be looking at double slope up if I'm reading this right.

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Here is a quick photo of the 2x2 angle the way I do it to make better sense, This is my small shop and yes I used reclaimed steel for it grin

That's pretty clean looking, I assume there's no overhang on the exterior? I just like the asthetics of a roof with overhang on all sides.

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 08:12 PM

The 1st photo is the inside gable end wall, I have a 12" overhand on the side walls.

Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Wray
Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate them. The eave strut looks like the way to go on he bottom of the roof, so what goes on the gable end, just a c purlin covering the ends of the zed purlin?

Also, on that eave strut, do they make it for different pitches?

Added on edit. I see that they do, and I'd be looking at double slope up if I'm reading this right.

Yes they make eave struts for different pitches and yes you'll need a double broke/sloped one. You can cap the ends of the roof purlins with a 2"x4" 14ga angle like FiremanJG did in these pics. Easiest way is to turn the 4" leg down with the outside gable wall and have the 2" leg back over your roof purlins and just run a screw thru it at each purlin. Its only up there so you can screw the top of your wall sheets to something...

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 09:57 PM

Well that's the rub, I want the gable to overhang and to equal my side overhang. I'm planning on just trimming c purlin to make that run unless there's something else to be used in that instance.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 10:43 PM

Ok I understand what you want now and its called receiver channel. Its made without the small legs on the inside so a purlin will fit inside it up I know it comes in 4, 6, & 8in varieties and I'm going to assume you'll be using 8" purlins in the roof with a 22.5' span from truss to truss?

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/17/17 11:28 PM

Yes, that's how I've got it figured, 8" galvanized. Thanks for the help again. I'm not going to be into this part until late april or so. I'm just getting all of my ducks in a row.
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/18/17 12:10 AM

Are you going to box in the eave extensions or just have the roof sheets overhang ?
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/18/17 12:52 AM

I think you should cut some off the ends of the trusses and make them shorter........... stir

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/18/17 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By: pdr55
Are you going to box in the eave extensions or just have the roof sheets overhang ?

I'm planning on boxing the sides and ends in. The pipes may have to show.

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/18/17 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Tbar
I think you should cut some off the ends of the trusses and make them shorter........... stir

Yeah and if you'd move your feeder closer you may hit more than one out of every fifty pigs. duel
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/20/17 02:44 AM

Like ETX said receiver on the gables, it's made a 1/4 " over like 8" receiver is a 8.25" and slips over the purling. I will see if I can find a pic of one we have done like this. Also if you use the strut on your soffits you can run reverse metal on the underside and make true enclosed soffits.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/20/17 03:02 AM

Don't have the frame pics but here is what full soffits finish like

Re: Pole barn roof question for the metal framers. - 01/23/17 04:57 AM

That's exactly what I'm looking to do on the roof right there, almost in the same colors as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum