Texas Hunting Forum

Fairfield State Park Hunt

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Fairfield State Park Hunt - 11/23/09 11:20 PM

Hey all....I got drawn for one of the FF state park hunts and was wondering if anyone else had ever been there for a hunt? If so what were your thoughts on it...questions like much game, good stands what is the best caliber to take (like brush gun, open country .270wsm)? Thanks for any help Ya'll can give!

Posted By: KevinTX

Re: Fairfield State Park Hunt - 11/24/09 01:10 AM

I've never hunted there. Every time I'm going out there redfishing, I see deer all over the roads. It ranges from vine filled creek bottoms to some small open flats. Lots of hardwoods. Its a real pretty place. I see hogs about 4 out of 5 times I'm driving through it also.

Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Fairfield State Park Hunt - 11/24/09 01:17 AM

Yeah, I've been up there for 2 camping trips...this last one was in August...I'll never do THAT again...was just wondering from those that have hunted it about stand placement and such

Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Fairfield State Park Hunt - 11/24/09 01:52 AM

The hunt is by assigned blind so basically you have to hunt where they put you, none of the shots are very far. A .243 is plenty big enough for the deer in that area, and plus its just a doe spike hunt. You will probably have a 25% to 40% chance of taking a deer, it used to be better but the deer population is on a bit of a down cycle in that area the last two years, still quite a few deer there though.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum