Texas Hunting Forum

New-ish Hunter

Posted By: remingtonTX

New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 01:33 AM

Hey y'all,

I've only been deer hunting the past two seasons, but I've got the bug HARD. I can't believe I've gone thirty something years without hunting! Now I'm not at the point of searching for my own lease because I don't know enough to know what I don't know. However, I am looking for opportunity. This summer I'm going to put in for a few of the Texas Public Hunts and I've got a friend that's taken me out to his lease this past season and hopefully will continue to do so. Moving forward, what's the best way to get access? I don't want to depend solely on one person to open the gates to deer camp, but we don't have the wide open opportunities for public hunts as they do out west. Are there any good resources for hunting opportunities? I don't have a problem with outfitters, but I don't want to drop a couple grand on a hunt just yet. I feel like those hunts aren't the best learning opportunities...but maybe I'm wrong?
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 03:30 AM

welcome

Go to the land and lease section on here. Find something or post what you are looking for.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 12:21 PM

If you want hunting access on your own terms, your wasting time until you get on a lease.

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 12:33 PM

Thanks for the responses guys... I'm definitely looking into leasing.

Are hunting clubs even a thing anymore? While reading I've come across them as a potential way into hunting but not finding much info on them these days.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 01:34 PM

I think they are mostly east Texas and you want to stay outa there.......
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
If you want hunting access on your own terms, your wasting time until you get on a lease.
this, so it sooner than later
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/03/18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
welcome

Go to the land and lease section on here. Find something or post what you are looking for.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/06/18 07:44 PM

Welcome. If you want something affordable, then you'll probably have to look outside of south Texas; further west or up into the hill country. As stated, go to the lease section on here, plus, use any friend connections at work, church, etc. Just let them know you're looking. Also, some towns have deer leases listed on the Chamber of Commerce websites. I know Ozona used to. Try to avoid the "pay to play" "lease finder" sites. They've been discussed on here a lot and they're usually just a few lease "brokers" listing less than ideal ranches, day leases, etc. I wouldn't go the day lease route either. There are lots of shysters in the hunting lease business, so proceed cautiously. And if something doesn't seem right, trust your gut and you can also ask about it on here. We know everything!

Don't necessarily rule out an outfitted hunt for a learning experience. 'Depends on the guide. I've hunted most of my life, but learned a helluva lot from couple of guides. Other ones, not so much. Enjoy the journey!
Posted By: Russ79

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/07/18 02:00 AM

I resent the trashing of east Texas for lease opportunities. It may not be the best choice for someone new though- you may go several hunts without seeing anything. I have hunted east Texas for about the last 20 years with little to no problems...other than getting skunked on many hunts. Many leases in most other parts of the state can be more productive but will cost you three to four times per year what it will cost you to hunt east Texas. You will have to be more selective in looking into hunting leases in east Texas.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/07/18 02:55 AM

Let them trash east TX. Keeps folks away.

East TX sucks. Don’t even look over here. No deer. Just methheads and poachers. up

smile

Good luck with your new passion. It’s a good one!
Posted By: Russ79

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/07/18 02:52 PM

I'm sorry NP...I forgot we are supposed to be following along with that theory about east Texas....That's right...nothing to see here...keep moving....
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/08/18 01:25 AM

Welcome!!!!
Using TPW opportunities is a good start. It's a bit of a ride but the National forest north of Houston was an option. Lots of area and deer. Been several times when I first moved to Texas in early 2000 and was successful in getting venison. Get their early enough and they had doe tags over the counter. As luck would have it I never used the doe tags as I scored with Bucks. Being covered in large pines a tree climbing stand was a valuable tool that helped greatly. It's a wonderful way to spend your free time I've been addicted since I was 16 that's about 54 years in the field and still counting until October.

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/08/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Russ79
I resent the trashing of east Texas for lease opportunities. It may not be the best choice for someone new though- you may go several hunts without seeing anything. I have hunted east Texas for about the last 20 years with little to no problems...other than getting skunked on many hunts. Many leases in most other parts of the state can be more productive but will cost you three to four times per year what it will cost you to hunt east Texas. You will have to be more selective in looking into hunting leases in east Texas.

SSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!! East TX is already crowded enough.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/08/18 04:01 PM

That's right go to East tx and get all your stuff stolen by those hillbillys....

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/09/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
That's right go to East tx and get all your stuff stolen by those hillbillys....

Or south Texas and have it stolen by illegals. Been in East TX for a few years and haven't had any trouble, knock on wood.

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/10/18 12:12 AM

LOL y'all are hilarious.

Thanks for all the info. I'd like to check out East Texas since there's public land there but I'll start closer to home. I'm in the hill country, but everything here is high fence/ high price. Now I've got nothing against high fence hunting, but I'd like to keep my options open and prefer the low fence. And I don't necessarily have a problem with a paid/guided hunt except the cost. I'm sure there are some more affordable hunts, but they're hard to find. I'll keep looking. Just found out my church has a hunting group that I'm inquiring with.

As for outfitted hunts, any recommendations on a guide that can guide as well as educate? Or better said, a guide that's absolute worth the money? I figure in a season or two I'm gonna bit the bullet and do it.
Posted By: CollinCountyCab

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/10/18 02:50 PM

RemTX-

Come on out to our place in EAST TEXAS. Only been there for 2 years but never had a problem. Hard to find a place that will allow "new hunters" on their lease. I know from experience or lack there of. I have a 12yr old and my buddies 16 year old that will wear your [censored] out shooting pigs and coons. Call me...we go all the time. Cost...12 pack of root-beer for the kiddos.

Kevin
469-952-7772

Re: New-ish Hunter - 06/10/18 08:15 PM

Kevin,

I appreciate it! I'm working on my list of potentials for the upcoming season and I'll keep you on it. We're fortunate in Texas to have a generous amount of tags for our license, so hopefully I can spread this upcoming season out a bit. As much as I'd like a wall mount worthy buck, I'm really more about learning the skills and woodsman-ship as well as filling the freezer with some tasty goodies!

Thanks again!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum