Texas Hunting Forum

DRY!

Posted By: redchevy

DRY! - 04/30/18 03:17 AM

Made it to our place in Duval Co. to put out corn protein and water. The driest spring we have had in the 11 years we have owned the place. Pretty much no green spring growth as far as grass and some of the brush already looks scorched. We need some rain in a bad way!
Posted By: ckat

Re: DRY! - 04/30/18 04:58 AM

We are still at 1.1" since last September up here. Northern Panhandle is in desperation mode...
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: DRY! - 04/30/18 03:28 PM

Should be some relief this week , cross your fingers.
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: DRY! - 04/30/18 05:31 PM

We are in Concho county. Our place is dry as a bone also. Both tanks are dry and very little grass for the cows
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: DRY! - 04/30/18 06:46 PM

I have had little showers for the most part since Jan 1st. With the heat now it is starting to show signs of getting drier by the day here in Goliad County. Live Oak county has had less rain but did have a 2" rain about 4 weeks ago and followed that with .50" and .40" in the next 2 weeks. It won't take long there with 90 deg temps to dry things out fast. Browse looks good in both locations but the weeds are still doing okay here at home.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: DRY! - 04/30/18 08:05 PM

About the only areas that were green were the drip lines along the edges of buildings as far as grass/weeds go. Most grass looked like late winter. Brush was ok but you could tell it was already feeling the effects. Wishing we would have shot a few more does, but the few more we would have taken probably wouldn't mean much in the big scheme of things.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: DRY! - 05/01/18 01:40 AM

Just west of 270, last 'good' rain we had was .82" about 4 weeks back. Drove up to Dumas and you could see where that rain stopped just north of Plainview. I think the Dumas area got a decent rain as did parts of Amarillo but not enough to do much good other than water some yards. Fire burned through the area around the Canadian where Hwy 87 crosses it.
Posted By: spg

Re: DRY! - 05/01/18 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have had little showers for the most part since Jan 1st. With the heat now it is starting to show signs of getting drier by the day here in Goliad County. Live Oak county has had less rain but did have a 2" rain about 4 weeks ago and followed that with .50" and .40" in the next 2 weeks. It won't take long there with 90 deg temps to dry things out fast. Browse looks good in both locations but the weeds are still doing okay here at home.

We got lucky at our place in Live Oak County, didn't get any deluges but have been getting some decent showers and its pretty green but like you said it won't take long with the heat coming.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: DRY! - 05/02/18 04:55 PM

Hopefully y'all will get some today, at least out west. Probably gonna' take a tropical depression for you guys down south. We're very green right now but very dry. Supposed to get storms tonight. Fingers crossed.

Re: DRY! - 05/02/18 10:04 PM

I'm sure it will rain more than normal this year since I got two new water troughs running.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: DRY! - 05/02/18 10:51 PM

Nolan and Fisher county are getting some rain this evening. Our place in Runnels county has gotten some decent rains in the past few months.

Re: DRY! - 05/06/18 01:13 AM

Not sure but I was told we just got 2.5'' in George West
Posted By: erathar

Re: DRY! - 05/06/18 02:23 AM

It has been pretty dry in STX this year. What part of Duval are you in?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: DRY! - 05/06/18 10:04 AM

I have heard that every drought is broken by a flood. It certainly happened on my place in Montague County. We had a 4 or 5 year drought. My 1.5 acre tank was down to about 1/4 to 1/3 acre and my 1/3 acre one was down to dang near nothing. 3 or 4 smaller ones were dust. A spring fed creek that had never gone dry dried up. I lost a lot of old growth oaks and big cedars. Cows were worth nothing in my area and I dumped mine. Then, about 3 years ago we got an 8 inch flood. Tanks filled and I restocked fish. Wildlife rebounded nicely. We've been getting good rains ever since. I got over 5 inches a couple of days ago. My roads through the place have washed out and I have a lot of work to do. I know it can't last and the droughts will return.

I know how tough it is to be patient but sooner or later it always happens.

One thing I don't understand is the lack of end of summer rains. They came up from the Gulf of Mexico. For years we got big rains about the end of August the screwed up dove season. That hasn't happened in the last 15 to 20 years.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: DRY! - 05/06/18 10:17 PM

About 3/4 in on my place in Dickens county last week. No substantial rain since November. If we dont get followup soon we'll loose the fawn crop. Hope our Lord shows some kindness and lets us have some reasonable weather!!!

Re: DRY! - 05/06/18 10:39 PM

Not a measurable amount in western Goliad County....and only .44" in northern Live Oak. Central Live Oak along IH 35 at FM 799 had reports of 4" though. Just west of GW reported 1.3". Northern Live Oak ranged from .25" to as much as 2" into southern Atascosa.

Re: DRY! - 05/07/18 02:04 AM

I'm about 5 miles northwest of GW, about 5 miles down 281 then west about 2 miles.

Re: DRY! - 05/07/18 02:19 AM

Originally Posted By: spg
I'm about 5 miles northwest of GW, about 5 miles down 281 then west about 2 miles.

The 1.3" was about 3 miles west out of town off of 3336.

Re: DRY! - 05/07/18 02:23 AM

I off of FM 1043 Simmons City

Re: DRY! - 05/07/18 02:28 AM

I off of FM 1043 Simmons City

That is what I had thought by your directions.

Re: DRY! - 05/07/18 02:39 AM

We've been lucky so far with getting showers just enough to keep it green. Kind of on the fence wether to try my luck at planting something soon.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum