Texas Hunting Forum

Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two

Posted By: Klinker

Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 03:49 PM

I know everyone has their favorite....but looking for feedback on users (past or present) on either of these corn feeders. I would love to have any first-hand input before laying down $900!

Texas Wildlife Suply - "Old Timer 1000"

HB Hunting Supply - "HB 1000 EZ Reach"
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 04:07 PM

The second one is better if only for it keeping corn out from directly underneath. But, the second sure doesn't appear to have much coverage.

I don't suspect the first would be much better given the spinner is so close to the ground and having to spin through a cage. Doe it have skids or just legs?
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 05:39 PM

These look good but look in classified for a 1000 lb. feeder posted by jdl. It looks better to me and is $850. for 1 or $1000. for 2.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 05:47 PM

Whatever you buy, be sure it has a wire mesh small enough to keep out squirrels. Those spinners that close off after throwing corn will eventually quit closing off. Then the squirrels will spin your corn out pretty quick.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 05:55 PM

Buy one like I mentioned that is in "classified" and you won't need any wire mesh at all. Wish I had one.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 06:36 PM

Both great feeders, might also want to look at all seasons, they make a great feeder also with easy load and great varmint guard!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 09:24 PM

I had one just like the second one, didn't like it. I don't have my feeders in pens and the hogs rooted bad where the corn slides down and gathers at the edge of the plate. Have had good success with All Seasons stand and fill.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/22/18 11:02 PM

You will get way more for your money by purchasing an Alamo wildlife feeder. It spreads corn in a perfect circle, completely varmint proof, and made by a forum member.
Posted By: DUKFVR

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/23/18 11:24 AM

I have 3 of the HB's. They have been good feeders.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/23/18 12:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
You will get way more for your money by purchasing an Alamo wildlife feeder. It spreads corn in a perfect circle, completely varmint proof, and made by a forum member.

This one is the best IMO. Number 2 would be Lamcos new design that's very close to Alamo.

You are buying outdated engineering if you buy a feeder with a varmit cage.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/23/18 06:23 PM

We put the eliminator spinner plate on all of ours. They work fantastic.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/23/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: pokerj2

+1
Posted By: predapex

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 04/23/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: pokerj2

+1

+2- Been running them for many, many years and have very minimal issues with them.
There is no cage and the corn throws out into the brush. It makes it a little more natural to at least see the animals feeding instead of standing RIGH at the feeder.
Any 4 legged feeder with Eliminator!!
It would have to be a taller feeder than these tho.
Posted By: croz4316

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/04/18 09:53 PM

We have several Old Timers as well as several 2000# TWS protein feeders with platforms. Excellent performance, built like a tank, and maintenance free. The Old Timer is also very easy to fill by this old timer! Their blinds are also first class!
Posted By: therancher

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/05/18 05:32 AM

Alamo is best with best service. And like others said, anything with a varmint guard is not only outdated, but the guard knocks your corn down close to feeder and doesn’t spread it evenly.

The plate under alamos keep the corn from being directly under the feeder.

Also, the exposed wiring on all seasons doesn’t work well in areas with hogs.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/05/18 05:47 PM

Take a look at capsule feeders.........
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/06/18 05:35 PM

I have a friend who has been using about 12 of these for several years now. Really like them.
http://judgefeeders.com/
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/06/18 09:19 PM

Have tried many brands over the years and have seen most of them fail at some point. A hunting buddy of mine has been using 300# Monarch feeders. The first one he bought, 300#, has been in service for 19 years. He did upgrade the timer and motor last year. I have seen a couple of times where a swarm of bees have emptied a feeder in the matter of a week. Of course this is an exposed spinner. Personally prefer a feeder that is at least 6 foot off the ground to get a better spread of feed. Sorry not much help but would like to see what you go with and how it works for you.
Posted By: luke0872

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/07/18 02:13 PM

HB feeders are very dependable and built well. Worth the money IMO
Posted By: PMK

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/08/18 02:55 PM

as I start replacing some of my old feeders that I seem to be continually working on, I will be replacing with Greengo Feeders
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/08/18 02:57 PM

Texas Hunter Products stand and fill is little taller to toss that corn further Link
Posted By: 21xsElite

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/11/18 02:45 AM

The Ground Hugger made by West Texas Game Feeders in San Angelo is the best we have used.
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Corn Feeder - Any feedback on these two - 05/14/18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Whatever you buy, be sure it has a wire mesh small enough to keep out squirrels. Those spinners that close off after throwing corn will eventually quit closing off. Then the squirrels will spin your corn out pretty quick.

I've had trail cam pics of raccoons hanging upside down from a feeder leg and and with his free hand spinning the corn out with a bunch of his buddies down below gorging themselves on the deer corn.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum