Texas Hunting Forum

Question about antler restrictions

Posted By: TZX190

Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 03:59 PM

I will be hunting for the 1st time on a lease that has antler restrictions this year. I'm confused about the rules listed on TPWD's website, see below. It says the bag limit is 4 deer, no more than two bucks and no more than 2 does. Further down it says not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13" or greater may be taken. Then further down is mentions antlerless deer can only be taken with MLDP permits. Can anyone help me understand this?

North Zone
Bag Limit 4 deer, no more than 2 bucks, and no more than 2 antlerless, all seasons combined.
Antler Restrictions Does not apply on properties enrolled in MLDP and for which MLDP buck tags have been issued. For the seasons listed below, a legal buck is a buck deer having at least one unbranched antler, or an inside spread of 13 inches or greater. The inside spread requirement does not apply to any buck that has an unbranched antler. Not more than one buck with an inside spread of 13 inches or greater may be taken.
MLDP If MLDP buck tags have been issued for a property, harvest is by MLDP tag only and all bucks must be tagged with a MLDP tag. If MLDP antlerless tags have been issued for a property, harvest is by MLDP tag only and all antlerless deer must be tagged with a MLDP antlerless tag. The landowner or designated agent are responsible for providing MLDP tags to the hunters on MLDP properties.
Archery Only
Sept. 30 - Nov. 3, 2017

General Season
Nov. 4, 2017 - Jan. 7, 2018

Antlerless Deer Antlerless deer may be taken by MLDP tag only.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 04:16 PM

If you shoot a deer with a greater than 13" spread you can only shoot a spike or buck with a spike and whatever on the other side IIRC for your second buck.

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 04:20 PM

Thanks Snake Oil. That is what I thought I reading. The doe part still confuses me. At the very beginning it states the bag limit is 4 deer, no more than two bucks and two doe. Then at the end it says does can only be taken with MLDP permits. I'm used to hunting the hill country with no restrictions so this is weird to me!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 04:27 PM

What county are you in? Only some in the east require mldp for doe.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
If you shoot a deer with a greater than 13" spread you can only shoot a spike or buck with a spike and whatever on the other side IIRC for your second buck.

You can also take two bucks that qualify under the spike rule IF you haven't take a buck with a 13-inch or greater spread. For example, let's say it's the last week of the season and you've only taken a spike so far. You can take a second spike if you wish, but your limit on bucks (2) is full.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
What county are you in? Only some in the east require mldp for doe.

Which county?
Posted By: Russ79

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 07:39 PM

Your county bag limit is what your are to follow. Most counties are two buck counties and many are now under antler restrictions. You actually have three buck tags on your license because there are some three buck counties in Texas. You can only take one 13" or better in any county that is under AR but you can actually take three bucks of 13" or better from three different AR counties. If you hunt property that is under the new MLDP program then you use the permits/tags you are issued thru the program instead of the tags on your license- they can be used on a non-MLDP place. Some counties may only let you take does under the MLDP program.

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 08:20 PM

This is Waller County that I am talking about.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 09:36 PM

WALLER COUNTY

If the property is NOT MLDP, use your tags:
Bucks, no more than 2; 2 spikes, or one spike and one 13" or greater buck.
Does, no more than 2.

IF the property is MLDP, you can shoot as many of either as long as you have MLDP tags for that property; do not tag with your tags.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 10:02 PM

You can however go to another county and shoot another 13 or greater buck

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 10:12 PM

The TPWD site says this "Antlerless Deer: Antlerless deer may be taken by MLDP tag only" at the end of the hunting regulations section for Waller County. I take this as I can't shoot any does unless I have MLDP permits.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: TZX190
The TPWD site says this "Antlerless Deer: Antlerless deer may be taken by MLDP tag only" at the end of the hunting regulations section for Waller County. I take this as I can't shoot any does unless I have MLDP permits.

Only if your property is on MLDP.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/19/18 11:26 PM

You better double check the regs for that county. Call TPWD or you local game warden to confirm but I see the regs that you are interpreting in correctly.

Waller Co, Whitetail Deer in General Season Antlerless Deer may only be taken by MLD tag only. There is no open antlerless general season with your license tags in Waller County. During Archery Season you can take antlerless with your license tag.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/22/18 01:12 PM

The rules listed in the booklets and on their website usually needs someone with a law degree to understand.
I would call the local game warden if you have any questions.
Don't use the excuse I read it was alright on the hunting forum.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/24/18 02:21 PM

Don’t quote me to the game warden if your in trouble, but I’m pretty sure you can take 2 doe in bow season only without mld
Posted By: kk66

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/25/18 03:20 PM

Agree with Always Ready, The way I read it is that antlerless is by MLD permit only during the general season and muzzleloader season but you are allowed 2 antlerless during bow season

https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdoor-annual/regs/counties/waller
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Question about antler restrictions - 04/25/18 06:21 PM

In Goliad County it depends on the area of the county you live in for does using your tags off of your hunting license. You are allowed up to 2 does during archery season only in all areas of the county. Some areas have doe days/seasons with the limits and other areas are MLDP only for does. Our county has a WMA coop that gives members doe permits based on location in county, after all the annual county surveys are done.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum