Texas Hunting Forum

Shedding time...

Posted By: rangertaylor

Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:14 PM

Has anyone found any sheds yet? Heading out to the ranch this weekend to fill protein and check cameras, just trying to see if anyone has seen pictures or knows if they are dropping their sheds yet. Thanks
Posted By: okietex

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:17 PM

They have started for sure
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:25 PM

Most the bucks around here don’t loose them until after Easter
Posted By: Tye

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:29 PM

Not on my place in Eastland county
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:33 PM

Haven't seen any in Lee county yet. Seems a little early for our neck of the woods.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:42 PM

We are finding them on the smaller bucks now in southern Dickens county.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:50 PM

Found a few singles and one set in Brady this weekend. However, most of the bucks I saw on foot still had their antlers. I'd say about 1 in 4 have dropped.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 10:56 PM

Found a small single in one of my feeder pens a couple of weeks ago. Shackleford County.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 11:00 PM

Buddy flew his place in west texas last week and said about 1/2 the bucks had dropped.
Posted By: don k

Re: Shedding time... - 02/20/18 11:12 PM

I have found a couple from smaller Bucks
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 02:59 AM

Just tonight got a pic that told me something:

He is missing something! Wanted to find at least one side of him this year to see how thick his mass was.

He will likely be a hit lister next year

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 03:01 AM

I believe this guy has completely shed:

Have no clue which buck it is though, but this guy was seen on camera before the one above so I know it isn’t the same buck
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 04:17 AM

I have found a few from younger bucks
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Sparta
Found a few singles and one set in Brady this weekend. However, most of the bucks I saw on foot still had their antlers. I'd say about 1 in 4 have dropped.

Near Menard we are seeing sheds already, a month earlier than the last several years.

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 04:05 PM

Last year we were finding them around this time in Coleman County, but with this goofy Texas weather I wasn't sure if they had started yet
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 04:24 PM

They started dropping around here the first of December.....Weird year.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 04:27 PM

I sat in my stand a few times last weekend in Stonewall county and every buck I saw still had their headgear.
Posted By: Gillium

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 04:44 PM

Made a trip to Utopia, Tx (Uvalde County) last weekend. Saw two bucks with antlers still.....
Posted By: PMK

Re: Shedding time... - 02/21/18 09:26 PM

still have them around Georgetown ... just drove thru the old country club subdivision last weekend, saw lots of head gear, even saw a pretty decent 8 point chasing a yearling or fawn doe like a mad man.

Re: Shedding time... - 02/22/18 08:50 PM

If I was younger I would train a Lab to hunt sheds.......
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Shedding time... - 02/22/18 09:08 PM

Nothing dropping in the hill country yet.
Posted By: Charlieb68

Re: Shedding time... - 02/23/18 03:58 AM

It getting close, but still alot with antlers being seen on the bucks on game camera
Posted By: therancher

Re: Shedding time... - 02/23/18 05:13 AM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
If I was younger I would train a Lab to hunt sheds.......

And I could keep it rented out. It amazes me that someone hasn't figured out you could make a decent living with a good shed dog down here. I know SEVERAL people who would pay $500 bucks for a few individual deer sheds. There's a bunch of people I don't know...
Posted By: therancher

Re: Shedding time... - 02/23/18 05:18 AM

I was out feeding today and saw a group of 10 or 12 bucks all chasing one doe. I HATE that. But it happens when the stragglers start coming into estrus. Crossing my fingers they don't kill each other.

My mature bucks won't lose theirs till mid April. Because there will still be some young does to breed.

Re: Shedding time... - 03/06/18 12:42 AM

Surprised to see a bunch running around with headgear still. This was from today.

Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Shedding time... - 03/06/18 01:02 AM

Nice bucks!

Re: Shedding time... - 03/06/18 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Wilhunt
Nice bucks!

That 10 on the right is a new buck I’ve never seen. Glad he made it through, he will be good looking next year if he hangs around. Hope to find his sheds.

Here is a better picture of him.

Posted By: Tye

Re: Shedding time... - 03/06/18 02:37 AM

Found a few small ones in Eastland on Saturday

Re: Shedding time... - 03/06/18 04:38 AM

Gonna go check some cams tomorrow. If I find bucks on cam with no antlers I will walk a few miles looking and see if I can find anything.

Re: Shedding time... - 03/06/18 10:27 PM

Checked cams today and only had a couple young deer missing antlers. Put in 6 miles of walking looking for antlers but didn't find anything.
Posted By: gaharris

Re: Shedding time... - 03/07/18 05:20 PM

We have both a low fence and a high fence operation and the one thing I can say that seems to be consistent on our place in Erath and Stephens Country is the older, bigger bucks seem to drop their horns much earlier than the smaller , younger bucks.
Not sure why but in my logic they need longer to grow bigger horns.
We found several big set of sheds a week or two ago but based on what we see at the feeders and what's on the cameras most of the smaller, youngers bucks still have their headgear.
Just what we've been seeing
Posted By: ilik2hunt

Re: Shedding time... - 03/08/18 01:37 AM

5 miles south of Cross Plains 2 weeks ago still had their horns,and quit a few deer have showed up on camera that we have never seen before.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Shedding time... - 03/08/18 01:43 AM

Bigger ones drop just because of weight of them. Find them just across fences and places they jump and land etc...
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Shedding time... - 03/08/18 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
Bigger ones drop just because of weight of them. Find them just across fences and places they jump and land etc...

I find about 50 times as more in a field or feeder than I do on a fence line. I say that because I usually find right at 100 a year (I have had good years with more) and only find a few near a fence.
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Shedding time... - 03/11/18 11:51 PM

I found these at the end of February in Val Verde county. I had videoed this deer early during the 2017 season. They were less than 5 yards apart.

Re: Shedding time... - 03/12/18 04:30 PM

Went out again this weekend and started finding them, I only saw one buck that still had headgear on camera. It sure is nice seeing those questionable bucks make it through the season for next year.
Posted By: HK9mm

Re: Shedding time... - 03/22/18 03:18 PM

Was in NW Edwards County this past weekend. Sat in a blind just to see what came up, saw 4 bucks. 2 with both horns, 2 without any.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Shedding time... - 03/22/18 03:24 PM

We saw some bucks running around on our lease this last weekend. All still had their antlers, except one that had dropped on one side. So, it's that time. Stephens County.

Re: Shedding time... - 03/22/18 04:30 PM

Chad are you still close to Caddo? I need to get you my .22 Creedmoor to work up a load when it's finished...........Sorry for the derail OP.
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Shedding time... - 03/24/18 03:12 PM

Picked these us last week with a 18 inch spread we scored them at 207

Re: Shedding time... - 03/27/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Deer Hound

That's awesome when you find a pair like that, and it looks like he would have scored even higher if he hadn't broken some off.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Shedding time... - 04/06/18 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Deer Hound

Holy Toledo.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum