Texas Hunting Forum

New Season Proposals for 2018

Posted By: DH3

New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 04:29 PM

According to the Houston Chronicle, a proposal is on the table to make the upcoming season the same, statewide (No more North/South zones).
First Saturday in November to the third Sunday in January. It has my vote! texas
Posted By: JCB

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 05:41 PM

South Texas guys hunting non MLD land ain't gonna like that.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB

How does it impact them? Their season doesn't change.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman

Their rut is later, and so is their season.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Their rut is later, and so is their season.

Without knowing all the details it sounds like their regular season still won’t change, just the North zone gets extra time. This is assuming the late season would mimic the south zone for everyone.
Posted By: JCB

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 07:44 PM

I missed the last part about "third sunday". So you are correct their season doesn't change. I assumed they were going to make their season the same as the rest of the state which would cause an uproar down south based on their rut.

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 07:53 PM

That’ll work.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/28/18 10:57 PM

Works for me.
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 06:38 AM

It hurts the late season business down there, guys could just stay closer to home near Houston or Dallas.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 06:45 AM

Rut in south Tx. does not start till Mid-December....
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 09:15 AM

Sounds good to me
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 01:23 PM

From the article I read the regular season would end mid January but there would also be a two week special season that would extend into first weekend in February....Muzzle loader or youth season would tack on as it is now.
In other words the regular season would be standardized, but you could still have a two week "special season" at the end.
I got that information from a neighbor that takes the local S.A. paper, and the article was from a sports staff writer, so I never take their word as gospel.
It also mentioned a public hearing on the matter, but if passed it would be in time for the 2018 season. That said, most of those public hearings are a dog and pony show and TPWD has already made up their minds.....I'm all for it!
Posted By: bossbowman

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
That said, most of those public hearings are a dog and pony show and TPWD has already made up their minds.....I'm all for it!

Yes they are, the only time I've seen them reverse a proposal was when they tried adding a rifle season to Grayson county which has traditionally always been archery only since they opened a season there in the early 90's I think. The bowhunters came out in force agains that one and for good reason.

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 02:41 PM

Amazing to me how many people did not read the written word...The PROPOSAL is to have the SAME season for everyone. I.E. no more North/South zones.
The proposal obviously does not change when the rut starts anywhere. Nothing changes for the South zone, the North zone gets a couple more weeks to hunt bucks.
What's not to like?

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: bossbowman
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
That said, most of those public hearings are a dog and pony show and TPWD has already made up their minds.....I'm all for it!

Yes they are, the only time I've seen them reverse a proposal was when they tried adding a rifle season to Grayson county which has traditionally always been archery only since they opened a season there in the early 90's I think. The bowhunters came out in force agains that one and for good reason.

With TPWD a "proposal" usually means they are going to do it, and have already decided to do it.
When you read the articles like the one I read they say "if" it passes they would start with the 2018 season.....That right there tells me they already made the decision and in order to get it in print for this year it's already a done deal.
As mentioned, nothing changes for the south zone which already has the longer season, so everyone else (north zone) would get the same benefit.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/29/18 05:46 PM

There probably won't be a late season youth in the north as it runs concurrent with general season in the south now. Not sure why they even list it in the annual for south zone. I guess in case they want to move it in the future to the special late season.
Posted By: whitetail85

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/30/18 07:17 PM

I'm all for this. I see some of the best bucks mid-January in Medina county (North).
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/30/18 09:33 PM

It hurts the late season business down there, guys could just stay closer to home near Houston or Dallas.

Anything that drives down the cost to participate in the sport is a good thing.
Posted By: Russ79

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/30/18 09:48 PM

Only thing this means is that when you are hunting muzzle loader season you better make sure if you are shooting a doe it is really a doe- may be a buck that has already dropped its antlers.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/30/18 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

Anything that drives down the cost to participate in the sport is a good thing.

Any of you thinking it will drive down cost....., you are outside your flip'n mind. No one who hunts S.TX is going down there because the season is later in January, They go there because the BUCKS are bigger..... it just so happens the season lasts longer..... and so on into Mexico.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/31/18 02:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Russ79
Only thing this means is that when you are hunting muzzle loader season you better make sure if you are shooting a doe it is really a doe- may be a buck that has already dropped its antlers.

Which is not illegal. It says antlerless deer, not female deer.

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/31/18 04:06 PM

This comment I do not understand...NOTHING changes for the South zone, The North zone's season changes to mirror the South..No more "Zones". EZ to understand..No?

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/31/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3

This comment I do not understand...NOTHING changes for the South zone, The North zone's season changes to mirror the South..No more "Zones". EZ to understand..No?

He corrected himself and we heard you the first time. Take a Xanax or something.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/31/18 05:33 PM

doesn't change anything for me. i will be duck hunting by then anyway

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/31/18 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Originally Posted By: DH3

He corrected himself and we heard you the first time. Take a Xanax or something.

Sneaky, you have a nice day. I hope you are released soon!

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 01/31/18 07:19 PM

Me too. Thanks.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 02/27/18 07:31 PM

ttt
Posted By: TXDuckCreeklabs

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 02/28/18 03:41 PM

Im ok with the change since it doesnt affect my hunting area. Im sure there are folks that might not like it but thats with any decision.

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 03/07/18 03:46 AM

I've always felt that the deer season was just too darn short! happy3
Posted By: fishbait

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 03/08/18 11:31 AM

They changed the south zone to correlate to the rut...why then dont they move the start date to the earliest rut date? Our first rut starts in Sept..
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 03/09/18 12:34 AM

You can comment on TPDW proposals on their website. I for one like the proposal as I am in the North Zone.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: New Season Proposals for 2018 - 03/09/18 03:55 AM

Works for me as well.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum