Texas Hunting Forum

Live from Dimmit County

Posted By: BowsnRods

Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 01:00 PM

I'm helping to harvest some doe at a good friend of mines ranch in the red dirt country. I got a mature doe yesterday evening, but hated making any noise because of all the big bucks I was watching. No mistakes to be made here, checking the tops of heads over and over again to make sure it's a doe and not a nubbin or buck that's dropped his horns already. This is some of the most beautiful country down here, but lots of oil activity.

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 01:11 PM

The quail are sounding off, just light enough to see deer on the roads. First time I've seen blues and bobs only feet from each other.

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 01:34 PM

Sorry on picture quality, still pretty dark. This buck is huge mainframe 10pt 2 kickers off each g2, one of the most symmetrical buck I've seen, a true 180 inch deer.

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 02:24 PM

This is a better picture of the buck I've been watching, I have 2 doe on the ground and I've been extemely nervous until I have walked up onto the doe to make sure I didn't make a mistake, but all is good and 2 big skin heads are out of the equation.

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 02:37 PM

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 02:43 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 05:44 PM

up
Posted By: don k

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 06:26 PM

Wow, Those are some really good looking Bucks.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 06:38 PM

Nice to see those bucks made it through the season...good job on the does!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 06:44 PM

Awesome. Love it down there.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/27/18 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: TAT
Originally Posted By: dlrz71
up

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/28/18 12:38 AM

It's been a great day, good to be in the woods with family and friends. I am amazed that I can still tag a doe in the neck at better than 200 yards with my Browning 270 A Bolt topped with the Boss system. Sweet Shooting it is. The only thing that would have made today better is spending it with my son on his 23rd Birthday, but he is guiding hunters out west, Happy Birthday Son!
Posted By: MAP

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/28/18 06:21 AM

I'm hunting outside of Big Wells this weekend, what part of Dimmit county are you in?
Posted By: don k

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/28/18 01:02 PM

Hopefully you took out some coyotes before they had a chance to get to the Medina lake or Bandera area.

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/29/18 12:47 AM

Map we are about 12 miles west
of 35 south down either 463 or 468 can't remember the Rd number, it's the road that runs into big wells.

Hey Don, we heard a bunch of yotes, but didn't see any. One of the other hunters said he thought he saw a long tail run across a roller chop coming from the gut pit we had been dumping in.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/29/18 12:32 PM

up
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/29/18 04:54 PM

BowsnRods - beautiful county there...been hunting in Dimmit my whole life. My family helped settle Carrizo Springs 4 generations back. My great grandmother was the first teacher in that area, working in a 3 walled building, many moons ago. Well done knocking back some does!

Map - I drive through Big Wells on the way to Carrizo Springs, where we hunt. Big Wells is always the landmark when I start to get into ranch mode! How'd ya do?

Re: Live from Dimmit County - 01/30/18 12:10 AM

Hey George, we got the number of doe we needed to take to maintain the balance.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

! - 01/31/18 09:15 PM

Originally Posted By: BowsnRods
Hey George, we got the number of doe we needed to take to maintain the balance.

Well done!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum