Texas Hunting Forum

Elephant Mt Muley

Posted By: J W M

Elephant Mt Muley - 01/05/18 11:36 PM

The Good Lord smiled on this ol' man, and I got picked for the "stand-by rifle" hunt this past week. I had never been to this area, but it is an "AWESOME" place. Very tough hunting (at least it was for this old fat guy). Met another hunter there and we teamed up, and were drawn together for the stand-by position. We had a great time. It was pretty cold and windy, as we were tent camping there. But definitely worth it.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/05/18 11:51 PM

Nice buck, sir. Sounds like a great time too.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 12:01 AM

Man, that is outstanding.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 02:38 AM

Very cool. Congrats
Posted By: majekman

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 02:41 AM

Wow, nice mule on a standby hunt in a tough area.
Major congrats!!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 05:37 AM

Congrats. Great deer. Post up a write up of the hunt if you can.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 06:38 AM

cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 07:02 AM

Congrats!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Man, that is outstanding.
Yest it is and congrats on a nice Mulie cheers
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 12:47 PM

Beautiful buck, and an outstanding picture. Congrats.
Posted By: Drop Tine

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 12:52 PM

Details man.....details! Nice buck!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 01:19 PM

Love that part of Texas.

Congrats on a fine Mulie buck. cheers

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 04:19 PM

Okay, here's a few details:
This hunt was provided courtesy Texas Parks and Wildlife draw hunt system. This hunt is for three days, only, and only four spots were available. I have been trying for several years, to get drawn, however, have not been successful. Prior to the hunt, I called and was advised that there was one standby position available. Being very anxious, as I have never hunted in this area, nor have I ever had the opportunity to hunt Texas desert mule deer, I drove the 7 hours, "hoping" to get lucky. At the time of my arrival, there were 13 other guys there, just like me, hoping to get lucky.
Like I said earlier, the good Lord smiled on me.
At orientation, we were advised for a buck to be legal, he must have an outside spread of at least 18 inches.
Prior to the drawing, I met another guy there, James, and we immediately "hit it off". We realized we both grew up in the Fort Worth, area. We teamed up, and were both selected. After orientation, we quickly set up camp and set out to scout our area.
The first afternoon (January 2), I saw several deer, however, no "shooter" bucks.
The next morning (January 3), my partner and myself hiked up the mountain, where the biologists told us he had seen a couple of nice bucks, a couple of weeks earlier. The hike up the mountain required approximately 1 1/2 hours, just to get to the area we wanted to hunt, we split up and spent the entire day hunting, before we came back down. Again, I saw quite a number of deer, including bucks, I did not find a "shooter". I did see desert bighorn sheep, which was pretty cool. These were "obviously" off-limits.
The next morning (January 4), I went to a different location, where I had not scouted previously. Before first light, I parked my truck beside the road, and hiked approximately 1/2 way up the mountain slope. From there I began still hunting laterally, across the slope. At approximately 7:45 AM, I spotted a buck up-slope from me, and after checking with binoculars I realized he was a small fork horn. My rangefinder showed that he was at 254 yards. However, immediately I realized there were quite a number of does also in the area. Knowing that we were hunting during the rut, and as this buck was definitely "immature", and with the large number of does, there "must be" a good buck there close by. After careful glassing, sure enough, further up hill, I saw him. I quickly looked around for a rest, so that I could possibly make a shot. The closest place was about 20 yards to my right, where there was a drainage from the mountain, with several large boulders. I slowly eased my way to a boulder, where I got set up. However, once I got into position, these deer had become nervous, and had moved further upslope. It took me a few moments, to find the buck that I was looking for, and when I checked with the rangefinder, he was at 309 yards. Presently, he turned broadside and holding at the top of his back, behind the shoulders, at my shot, he dropped in his tracks. My Remington 700 - 270 caliber, loaded with 150 grain Federal Premium ammo, did the job.
Having spent the last couple of days in this area, at this altitude, I knew I had my work cut out for me. However, I don't think I was quite prepared for this. It took me 50 minutes to climb up to where he dropped. My Garmin GPS told me that I was at 5020 ft. elevation, and 3/4 of a mile from my truck. When I looked back downhill, from where he was laying, I said to myself "what in the world was I thinking". It looked like it was straight down. I am 61 years old, and too "fat" smile. Where I live is approximately 500 ft. above sea level. I definitely was not accustomed to this altitude. I knew I would have to take it very slow and easy. I was carrying my rifle and a backpack. From the top, I set down my pack and rifle, and would drag the deer approximately 10-20 yards downslope. Then I would climb back up and get my pack and rifle, and repeat this process. By 1:00 PM I was approximately 1/4 mile from the road, and totally exhausted. At that point I had used all the water I brought with me and come out of 3 layers of clothing. The temperatures were in the 20s when I set out. I took my orange cap and marked a tall cactus, left the buck at that spot, and hiked out to my truck. I drove back to the headquarters, and the biologists graciously offered to help me get the deer to my truck (what an awesome guy). He went back with me to the area and by 2:30 we had this buck loaded in my truck. I was a happy & relieved man.
Even now, it seems surreal. It is hard to believe that I got selected and then was able to score a great buck. I did a moose hunt in Alaska several years ago, and up until now that had been the hardest hunt ever "physically", for me. However, this one topped that. I can honestly say this is one I will always cherish. I worked my butt off for this one. It was totally worth it!! My face hurts even now, I'm smiling so hard.

I am attaching a couple more photos here. This is our camp, with Elephant Mountain in the background. Gorgeous place.
This is my buck, in the spot where he dropped.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 04:35 PM

And to read from a lot of forums, I'm surprised your 270 didn't just bounce off of him! confused2 bang

Great buck and a GREAT hunt. Good for you! God did smile on ya!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 04:44 PM

That is awesome and one heck of a buck. Congrats
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 04:46 PM

Congratulation on a nice tall rack. Those pictures show some really tuff terrain. Glad you were able to get him out. up
Posted By: MikeOH

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 05:14 PM

That is an awesome story and deer!
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 05:19 PM

Great story JW. THAT'S hunting.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 08:15 PM

That’s dedication. It certainly paid off.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 08:26 PM

Man,that is just awesome! Way to get it done!
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/06/18 08:28 PM

that is just cool! Great deer and what a memorable hunt!
Posted By: Hymer

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 02:06 AM

Congrats! Great hunt!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Very cool. Congrats
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 12:12 PM

What a great story and pictures. Always wanted to do that hunt but at 73 my time has passed. Job well done for sure...and good on ya with the 270 too. 270's are not sexy or glamerous these days, but your shot and story is a credit to one of JOC's articles.
Ron
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 12:47 PM

Great buck, great pics, and an excellent write up. I did a similar hunt years ago in the Sierra Diablos. Tent camping at our age - man, you've got my respect for more than just a great mulie. Very well done.
Posted By: Amarillo.Hunter

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 01:12 PM

Nice buck and great story!
Posted By: Western

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 03:55 PM

Super buck and great story sir, as I was reading your recovery part, I could definitely relate from past MD and elk hunts, some of the most draining, but rewarding hunting.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 04:00 PM

Outstanding up
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 04:20 PM

Congratulations! That is awesome. Reading your story gets me fired up and ready to enter every WMA draw that has Mule deer hunts. I killed my first Mule deer in December on my boss's lease and I'm hooked.

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/07/18 11:31 PM

I realized I still have my points and can't wait to re-apply, this coming year.

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/18/18 12:46 AM

Thanks, WC!
Haven't thought of Jack in a long time.
Possibly my favorite outdoor writer of all time. Carmichael was another one.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/18/18 05:31 PM

What a great buck and adventure. Congrats!
Posted By: bp3

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/18/18 07:59 PM

Hunted south of where you were quite a few times on south edge of Santiago peak and it is a great place to hunt. Ranch had a good water well at the foot of the mountains with a small pump jack that pumped water to 2 210 tanks on ridge then gravity fed to water troughs. If you have water you will have a lot of game. It was rougher than a wood haulers rear but great hunting. rifle And the 270 is my choice for a deer round
Posted By: Joey Cantrell

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/22/18 01:52 AM

Nice job!!!
Posted By: hollidayHunter

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/23/18 09:38 PM

Awesome story and a great buck! Congrats!
Posted By: Jon

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/25/18 03:05 AM

That was a most excellent report! Big congrats for accomplishing that. I'm a couple years older than you are and can definitely visualize the effort involved. You do a very well written write up. Thanks for posting this. up
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/25/18 05:10 AM

Awesome! Congrats.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/25/18 03:20 PM

Congrats, but very Jealous!

Glad you got it done. I think some older folks give up on themselves. My grandfather died of a sudden heart attack the day before his 70th birthday. He was out in the field swinging a grubbing hoe and running a chainsaw that morning. He always said as you got older it just took longer. Miss that man every day.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/26/18 12:47 PM

That is an outstanding public land deer! Congrats.
Posted By: Brandon S.

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/26/18 02:44 PM

Congratulations! Awesome buck and story!
Posted By: decook

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/29/18 10:24 PM

Incredibly good write up. I felt like I was there. What a great hunt.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 01/31/18 10:20 AM

I can understand the effort you had to put in. I have been drawn at Elephant Mtn twice. Archery MD and Javelina with gun. I camped one time and stayed in a hotel the other. My hat is off to you as I know how hard that hunt can be. That is a long drive for standby. I would have to drive 12 hrs. I would drive it though as I still put in on the hunts. I have been blessed the last 3 years with draws, and I hope I don't hit a dry spell.

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/01/18 11:19 PM

I have the utmost respect for anyone able to take a muley out there, with a bow. Thanks for your comments.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/03/18 02:03 PM

Great picture and nice story telling... cool
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/03/18 11:54 PM

coolpics Tips his cowboyhat on an awesome hunt. Enjoyed reading & thanks for sharing.
flag
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/04/18 04:22 AM

Well done! I was drawn on the hunt in 2015 so I know how tough it is. I was successful as well. Campsite brought back some cold memories!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/05/18 04:51 PM

Congrats on a wounderful public lands trophy
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/06/18 03:24 AM

Congratualtions on a great hunt and story.
Posted By: SpawnofChesty

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/07/18 11:06 PM

Congratulations on the hunt and the great buck.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/08/18 03:17 PM

That is awesome, hopefully I will get drawn one day for a hunt out there.
Posted By: Charlieb68

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/18/18 10:27 PM

Great buck.
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/25/18 05:51 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 02/26/18 11:17 PM

I cant believe I didnt see this before. Great write up great hunt great mulie!!!
Posted By: Redneck78

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 03/03/18 01:50 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 03/03/18 10:44 PM

well played sir
Posted By: BDB

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 03/09/18 05:24 PM

Nice! Man that does bring back memories. Me and a buddy got drawn for archery MD and Javi in 2000. We camped just like you did. We drew the North side of Elephant Mt. Long story short my buddy killed a Javi...I missed a Javi and I spot and stalked a bedded MD buck....got within 15 yards of him but I had miss marked his exact bed as was "looking" thru grass blades to see antlers when he stood up to my right and we began a stare down for what seemed like forever. Also we saw several nice WT deer.

Congrats!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Elephant Mt Muley - 03/21/18 01:06 AM

Awesome and congrats!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum