Texas Hunting Forum

Too cold, Camo not warm enough

Posted By: nocknload

Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 01:49 AM

Couldn't stay in the tree long enough this past week to kill something. They were moving but so was I. jajaja
Posted By: TAT

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 01:54 AM

Get heavier camo! roflmao
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 01:55 AM

Layers Nock, mucho layers and plenty of hand and foot warmers
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 02:11 AM

I have to hunt enclosed blind when this cold.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 04:12 PM

layers is the key, you can always unzip a jacket or two or even remove if too hot and then put back on if you get cooled down too much.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 04:32 PM

Yep you didn't have enough layers. Start with dry fit stuff, then cotton long johns, regular tee shirt and blue jeans over that and then your camo and a big coat.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 04:42 PM

Typically when it is this cold I have 4-5 layers on top and 3 on bottom and I never get cold. In fact, I often have to shed layers once I get to my stand because I will start sweating.

Top:
Long sleeve tight shirt
Long Sleeve Button Up
Pull-over
Thicker Pull-over or vest
Heavy Jacket

Bottom:
Long Johns
Jeans
Bibs or Insulated Pants
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 04:44 PM

Ever heard of long underwear?
Posted By: Johnny Rocket

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 05:00 PM

You need to invest in some heat pads, heated jacket, and base layer thermals!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 06:09 PM

I like to think of myself as a warm hunter, meaning I can take cold a little better than some.

I hunted this past moday afternoon in 24-20 degree weather, and it was cold. Wind was blowing a little more than expected. I had one one pair socks with insulated boots. Feet were fine. Merino wool longjohns with pair of shorts overtop, bibs on top layer and legs were fine, not warm but not cold.
On top I had t-shirt, thin long sleeve over than and my jacket. Should have worn long johns on top or heavier middle layer, but I wasn't tool cold on top, just wasn't warm as I usually am in that weather. Head I had a beanie and a baklava, kept the baklava down around the neck until the wind got to my face and then pulled it up over my head too, probably could have done that better as I did fee wind hitting my neck, but that wasn't bad.

Where I suffered was the gloves. I have found my current gloves work really well until the temps hit into the mid 20's and below. then my finger tips get pretty cold. I don't see temps that low enough to warrant getting new gloves, but by the end of my hunt my finger tips were pretty chilly.

I have decent base layers, decent top layers, but my middle layers are just a hodge podge of clothes from the house. It all works well enough to keep me in the tree. Sitting in a box makes things so much easier as the wind doesn't cut through and your body temp will eventually hea the box up a little. I would not have thought to hunt this way in the AM Monday when the temps were close to single digits. I would have had to really bundle up with 4-5 layers. Layers is the key. As was mentioned above, I often times have to unzip for a bit to vent off heat from walking to the stand if the temp is above 30...
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 07:58 PM

Layers as mentioned. If long walk to stand, I'll shed a couple layers for the walk to minimize sweating. Once you're wet, you're wet. Slap added layers on as body starts to cool from the walk in. Normally Under Armour cold gear top / bottoms with long sleeve shirt / jeans and just carry my heavy coveralls to put on once I'm settled into blind.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/03/18 10:52 PM

Guys, some of the very best cold weather gear, base layers and outer wear, can be found at your local Army-Navy surplus store. less expensive than Cabelas, L L Bean and such. Best time to buy is late spring.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/04/18 02:14 AM

I have heavy camo coat and pants, but find when really cold I am much more comfortable in my Carhart coveralls. Base layer, jeans, tshirt, hoodie, tuke, wool socks and good gloves. JMHO, but not as much heat lost in wind with the coveralls.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/05/18 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Start with dry fit stuff, then cotton long johns, regular tee shirt and blue jeans over that

No cotton, no jeans. Cotton is for summer, denim is useless in cold weather and deadly if it gets wet. You want the milspec base layer others have mentioned, then wool and/or poly fleece over that.

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/06/18 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Harrier
Start with dry fit stuff, then cotton long johns, regular tee shirt and blue jeans over that

No cotton, no jeans. Cotton is for summer, denim is useless in cold weather and deadly if it gets wet. You want the milspec base layer others have mentioned, then wool and/or poly fleece over that.

Guess it don't get cold enough in Texas for all that. Fished all day New Years in what I mentioned with cover alls over my jeans and cotton long johns, it was 18* with a 15mph wind.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/06/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Harrier

Guess it don't get cold enough in Texas for all that. Fished all day New Years in what I mentioned with cover alls over my jeans and cotton long johns, it was 18* with a 15mph wind.

the question really is were you comfortable or not?

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/06/18 03:12 AM

My feet and hands got cold, but I was wearing steal toes and only one pair of cotton socks and hands were wet most the day because I didn't have water proof gloves. Other than that I was fine. Dry fit under cotton long johns makes me sweat sometimes if I'm moving around a lot or walking to the blind. All the cold ways worth it caught some big fish, love nasty weather fishing.
Posted By: hookemhorns

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/07/18 09:23 PM

Get a good merino wool base layer
Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/08/18 12:32 AM

Base layer got to have a good base layer. Then the outer has to cut the wind. Ive hunted central Oklahoma and north central Kansas in bad cold lots of times.
Its about making it as long as you can lol. But eventually the cold is going to get in.
Posted By: okbowhunter

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/08/18 12:34 AM

My worst was 2 hours at 10 degrees saw a lot of deer! Walked back to the truck couldnt feel my feet from the ankles down thawing out hurt!
Posted By: Hko

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/08/18 01:10 AM

#sitkagear
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/08/18 03:11 AM

Polypro,,,,polypro,,,,polypro. Look it up. It works.
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/08/18 05:53 AM

Tuesday was the last day of Missouri muzzleloader season. Had to brave it in the cold. Left the house at 0600 it was -2. Arrived at hunting area and truck thermometer said -4. Got up to 11 by 2pm. Intermittant spitting snow. Sat all day in pop up blind seeing only one deer (too brushy for shot), countless squirrels, several turkeys, and one opossum. Still have eight more days for archery then our deer seasons closes. Hope to add one more deer to the freezer.

Wore UPPER: underarmour base, wool sweater, camo Cabelas insulated jacket. LOWER: underarmour base, fleece lined nylon pants, camo Cabelas insulated bibs. HEAD: poly fleece one hole mask, stocking hat, jacket hood. HANDS: underarmour liners, wool gloves. FEET: silk liners, heavy wool socks, Mickey Mouse boots. Had hand and foot warmers but never needed / used them
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/08/18 11:51 AM

And heavy enough. Slows me down.
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/09/18 02:51 PM

A long time ago I decided I don’t want to hunt out of boxes anymore. I decided I’d spend money for blinds on good hunting clothes. There is a science to staying warm and staying quite and still be agile.

First layer silk or merino. 2nd layer merino. 3rd merino pants and shirt. Last wool jacket and pants. Silk light socks then merino socks. Insulated rubber boots. This won’t be to bulky and keep you quite. Merino is quite and doesn’t hold scent very easy. It’s gods gift to hard hunters. Cabelas has what’s called super wool series. The have a quite layer of wind sheer in them. They cancel out cold. They are not to expensive either.
I use first light gear for my merino layers..it’s not cheap but lasts along time. I’ve found you can go to academy in early spring and find cheap layers of merino longjons and shirts on clearance. You can also find fleece but fleece is very bulky. It doesn’t layer well. The silver longjons will be on clearance as well.
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Too cold, Camo not warm enough - 01/12/18 12:31 AM

Trust me, I had on plenty of layers, including underarmour and wool. My boots are rated at 1200 insulate and dbl up on merino wool socks. I need one of them body heater suits. If I could just point and shoot my bow with only my eyes that would be great. lol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum