Texas Hunting Forum

Who is hunting After Christmas?

Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 02:09 AM

My son and I will be out after Christmas. Any tips for success with late season bucks?
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 02:12 AM

Up in the air whether I will hunt Christmas weekend but I will be down New Years weekend. Good luck!!
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:18 AM

I have a small window of opportunity to get out there. I will be out there Xmas afternoon and the 26th. Then it's off to Cloudcroft N.M. to play in some snow with my daughters. I'll be at the ranch tomorrow afternoon though.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:20 AM

I'll be out there somewhere. Probably head west.
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 04:44 AM

Headed out Tuesday through Thursday with the girlfriend then debating on heading back Friday and Saturday with my nephew.

I've already taken a nice mature cull buck but if I were still buck hunting I'd focus on hunting around food sources if the rut is over for your area.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 05:11 AM

Going to last day of the season!!!
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 05:27 AM

Probably hold off until muzzle loader season, unless I see signs of hogs on my place.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:04 AM

Will be going out Tuesday with my son's new 243. We have only shot one buck after Christmas. Still not going to feeders. He saw a young buck about to go eat and ran to him to scare it off. Then I killed him. Seems they are going to wheat late where I hunt.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 12:04 PM

Heading out the 28th-31st with the wife and two daughters.

I hunt the food and water sources this time of year. Merry Christmas to all! cheers
Posted By: REALKILLER

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 12:30 PM

Shhht, who aint. Live once die dead banana2
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 12:46 PM

Family tradition all the "menfolk" head to the farm after gifts and hunt, while Christmas dinner is prepared. Yeah I know, sexist as hell. But it is a family tradition, whatcha gonna do? Besides my wife and mother wouldn't be caught dead in a deer stand!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 01:08 PM

Best time of year to catch the poachers.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Best time of year to catch the poachers.

And border crossers, too! Had 19 on our place last Christmas day. Headed back down the 28th through Jan 3, but will be hunting 'til the end of February.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:08 PM

Yes, probably Wednesday-Friday. Shot a nice 8-point last year, the day after Christmas.

My theory is that the rut is over, the hunters are gone, deer are getting bulked up for the winter cold, and the bucks get a bit more careless.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:10 PM

Headed up to Arkansas to chase deer and ducks.
Posted By: D'hanis

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
My son and I will be out after Christmas. Any tips for success with late season bucks?

My only advice I'd give is to hunt a bit longer than you typically do if you can. Assuming it'll be as cold where you are after Christmas as it will be in my neck of the woods, it should be good. Most of my big bucks I've taken have come late season so its never too late. Good luck!
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:31 PM

me, and I'll be hunting food sources.. And spot and stalk.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 03:58 PM

Me till the last day!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 04:00 PM

Tagged out on does and culls. I'm done but I will take my son and daughter if they ask to go.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 04:51 PM

I won’t be able to go. Our first child is due Jan 8, and we think she will be here very soon.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
I won’t be able to go. Our first child is due Jan 8, and we think she will be here very soon.

She’ll have that baby whether you’re there or not. Might as well go hunting.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: shea.mcphail
Congratulations!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 06:26 PM

Our best hunting is from Christmas through mid-January. Love the late rut and post rut.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:11 PM

Thanks, Kevin! Scale.. I feel like you’re trying to get me in a world of trouble here. roflmao
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
Probably hold off until muzzle loader season, unless I see signs of hogs on my place.

Yes, same here. But see some of the best bucks (survivors) of the year during that time period.

They are run-down and back on food sources. Go from being totally nocturnal to traveling some during the daylight hours. I like late season and muzzleloader season.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:17 PM

last week of season i'll be hunting
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Herbie Hancock
Headed up to Arkansas to chase deer and ducks.

Land of Opportunity
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

I would like to hunt Saturday and Sunday but it will require about a years worth of kitchen passes
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:50 PM

I'll hunt the last weekend of the year. Too much family stuff until then. All good.
Posted By: exoticbob

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke
I have a small window of opportunity to get out there. I will be out there Xmas afternoon and the 26th. Then it's off to Cloudcroft N.M. to play in some snow with my daughters. I'll be at the ranch tomorrow afternoon though.

Taking my family up on the 26th to cloudcroft. Looking forward to this trip. Coming back to hunt last weekend in ETX.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 08:04 PM

Will hunt the weekend before New Years.
Posted By: ccoker

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/22/17 08:22 PM

I always get out for an extended hunt between Christmas and New Years!
Good luck!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 04:35 PM

My Son and I will be hammering the doe.............
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 05:24 PM

New Years weekend. Pigs and yotes.
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 06:10 PM

I’m through hunting for the year, got a Whitetail Doe behind the house earlier in the season, and a Blackbuck and a Scimitar Oryx last week. I will be at the lake with a rod and reel Tuesday thru Friday.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 07:11 PM

Got plans for the 1st week in Jan with the BH's sister & BinL before the Jan 7th close, depends on weather and all us old folks staying healthy enough. Teased him at our Gift Exchange lunch in Navasota last week about seeing nuthin but the freak he wanted me to shoot, and the Big Deer gotta be having rope marks on 'em to keep them penned up, that he's allus bragging about.

Going down sometime later in the early spring to pull couple of the old leftover blinds from the last guy and place some new one's...and gonna look for some porkers he thinks are running the neighbothood.
Ron
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 08:04 PM

Our rut is just getting started, so yes. up Will be deer hunting until Feb.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 08:13 PM

I'll be hunting all week...but then again I hunt all weeks of season.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 08:53 PM

Leaving Wednesday. I'll be guiding for the son in laws while they deer hunt. Then we'll hunt ducks, turkeys, hogs, quail, sandhill cranes, predators and some rabbits.

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/24/17 11:18 PM

Good luck to all!
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/25/17 12:43 PM

Still have two antlerless MLD permits to take care of and a low-end buck under the ARs. Seeing some spikes but they are all 1½ YOs, save that kill for a 2½ YO if I can find one.
Posted By: BQM88

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/25/17 03:25 PM

Me,wife and kids will be
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/26/17 04:30 PM

I defiantly am I have grandson named karsen he is now 13 he shoots better than most men.we are going to get big boy!
Posted By: thaechten

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/26/17 11:17 PM

We'll be out chasin some meat!!

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/28/17 05:45 AM

The last 2 days have been tough. Nothing but does.
Posted By: nochance4win

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/28/17 01:38 PM

Setting in my stand in Bee county right now with my son. Lots of movement this morning but no big boys YET.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/28/17 02:30 PM

I may try and stick an axis doe with my bow but i'm probably done for the rest of the season.

I start early though.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/28/17 02:39 PM

I'm probably done except for a little quail hunting, neither Mrs. B or I fired a shot this year. Looks like we'll be eating cow next year! Didn't really see anything we liked and needed to give this place a break for a while.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/29/17 10:10 PM

cold weather = food sources

I've shot some of my best bucks the last 2 weeks of the season...this weekend should be no exception.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Who is hunting After Christmas? - 12/29/17 10:15 PM

Taking a friend Jan. 5/6 to try and find the last cull on my quota and a couple of does. I always see a shooter very early in the season. I'm going to try very hard to hold off shooting for a while next year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum