Texas Hunting Forum

Rut Report Duval Co?

Posted By: rob valle

Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/15/17 03:55 PM

Fixing to head to the lease in Freer this weekend. Any reports of the rut starting down there?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/15/17 04:11 PM

Dec. 15 through the first week in Jan it is usually hot and heavy.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/15/17 04:11 PM

Nothing 10 miles south of San Diego.
Posted By: n2Deer

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/16/17 02:05 PM

I'm in the blind now, on 1329 near Falfurrias. No movement yet.
Posted By: Invictus984

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/18/17 03:06 AM

I finally started seeing pre-rut activity around county road 117 in Alice, on my cams anyways. The cam caught pictures of a young 4-pointer and 8-pointer going head-to-head a few times. However, they were still eating together between and after some scraps, so early pre-rut. I did witness the 4-pointer following one of the more mature does around today, but no actual "chasing."

What I find funny is that the 4-pointer has an attitude on him. He chases fawns/yearlings away from "his" feeder, checks out each and every noise with his chest stuck out, and pretty much lives and breadths the general area. From the pictures taken, it looked like the 4-pointer actually one-upped the large 8-pointer as well.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/22/17 03:22 PM

We hunt off of Hwy 59 north of Freer and they were chasing does last weekend. I ended up taking an old 7 pointer that gave me a shot. No big boys yet. I hope it gets cold soon!
Posted By: Gillium

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/05/18 07:12 PM

Bumping and old thread.

Folks hunting in Duval County, what is the typical time frame you see rut activity? Mid Dec- early Jan?

We have seen a few cruisers fighting on camera but not consistent rut activity yet. Hoping it starts pretty soon.
Posted By: wlretrievers

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/08/18 02:21 AM

I'm headed out that way the middle of next week. Between Freer and Laredo. It raining tonight, but should clear in the AM. Low 50's with north wind may start the madness....

Let's hope so.....

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/10/18 02:29 PM

Anyone go out this weekend down there? Only report I got was that rut still not in full swing west of Freer.

Re: Rut Report Duval Co? - 12/11/18 02:45 AM

Boom. Just a report they are hot and heavy down there. Grab your gun and go!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum